June 9: Day of the Week
June 9, 2021 was the 160th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 205 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WHAESA? Check your answers here: Word finder WHAESA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1732James Oglethorpe is granted a royal charter for the colony of the future U.S. state of Georgia.
- 1900Birsa Munda, an important figure in the Indian independence movement, dies in British prison under mysterious circumstances.
- 1915William Jennings Bryan resigns as Woodrow Wilson‘s Secretary of State over a disagreement regarding the United States’handling of the sinking of the RMS Lusitania.
- 1923Bulgaria’s military takes over the government in a coup.
- 1924In the second attempt to climb Mount Everest, George Mallory and Andrew “Sandy” Irvine disappear, possibly having first made it to the top.
- 1944World War II: the Soviet Union invades East Karelia and the previously Finnish part of Karelia, occupied by Finland since 1941.
- 1946King Bhumibol Adulyadej ascends to the throne of Thailand. He is currently the world’s longest reigning monarch.
- 1978The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opens its priesthood to “all worthy men”, ending a 148-year-old policy excluding black men.
- 1999Kosovo War: the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and NATO sign a peace treaty.
- 2008In the town of Lake Delton, Wisconsin, Lake Delton drains as a result of heavy flooding breaking the dam holding the lake back.
Who were born on June 9?
- 1661Tsar Feodor III of Russia (d. 1682)
- 1900Fred Waring, American bandleader (d. 1984)
- 1925Keith Laumer, American author (d. 1993)
- 1941Jon Lord, English pianist and organist (Deep Purple)
- 1954George Pérez, American comic book artist
- 1963David Koepp, American screenwriter and director
- 1975Otto Addo, German-born Ghanaian footballer
- 1982Christina Stürmer, Austrian singer
- 1983Alex Templeton-Ward, musician, writer
- 1984Yulieski Gourriel, Cuban baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.