June 9: Day of the Week
June 9, 2019 was the 160th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 205 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alice’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1310Duccio’s Maestà Altarpiece, a seminal artwork of the early Italian Renaissance, is unveiled and installed in the Siena Cathedral in Siena, Italy.
- 1534Jacques Cartier is the first European to discover the Saint Lawrence River.
- 1798Irish Rebellion of 1798: Battle of Arklow and Battle of Saintfield.
- 1815End of the Congress of Vienna: the new European political situation is set.
- 1915William Jennings Bryan resigns as Woodrow Wilson‘s Secretary of State over a disagreement regarding the United States’handling of the sinking of the RMS Lusitania.
- 1944World War II: 99 civilians are hung from lampposts and balconies by German troops in Tulle, France, in reprisal for maquisards attacks.
- 1959The USS George Washington is launched. It is the first submarine to carry ballistic missiles.
- 1973Secretariat wins the Triple Crown.
- 1974Portugal and the Soviet Union establish diplomatic relations.
- 1986The Rogers Commission releases its report on the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.
Who were born on June 9?
- 1865Carl Nielsen, Danish composer (d. 1931)
- 1898Luigi Fagioli, Italian racing driver (d. 1952)
- 1938Charles Wuorinen, American composer
- 1945Luis Ocaña, Spanish cyclist (d. 1994)
- 1950Giorgos Kastrinakis, Greek-American basketball player
- 1961Aaron Sorkin, American screenwriter and playwright
- 1972Matt Horsley, Australian football player
- 1980Navíd Akhavan, Iranian-German actor
- 1982Christina Stürmer, Austrian singer
- 1990Lauren Socha, English actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.