June 9: Day of the Week
June 9, 2019 was the 160th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 205 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Douglas’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1534Jacques Cartier is the first European to discover the Saint Lawrence River.
- 1650The Harvard Corporation, the more powerful of the two administrative boards of Harvard, is established. It is the first legal corporation in the Americas.
- 1815End of the Congress of Vienna: the new European political situation is set.
- 1885A peace treaty is signed to end the Sino-French War, with China eventually giving up Tonkin and Annam - most of present-day Vietnam - to France.
- 1924In the second attempt to climb Mount Everest, George Mallory and Andrew “Sandy” Irvine disappear, possibly having first made it to the top.
- 1930Chicago Tribune reporter Jake Lingle is killed during rush hour at the Illinois Central train station by Leo Vincent Brothers, allegedly over a 100,000 USD gambling debt owed to Al Capone.
- 1944World War II: the Soviet Union invades East Karelia and the previously Finnish part of Karelia, occupied by Finland since 1941.
- 1954McCarthyism: Joseph Welch, special counsel for the United States Army, lashes out at Senator Joseph McCarthy during hearings on whether Communism has infiltrated the Army giving McCarthy the famous rebuke, “You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?”
- 1959The USS George Washington is launched. It is the first submarine to carry ballistic missiles.
- 1979The Ghost Train Fire at Luna Park Sydney (New South Wales, Australia) kills seven.
Who were born on June 9?
- 1768Samuel Slater, American industrialist (d. 1835)
- 1845Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 4th Earl of Minto (d. 1914)
- 1890Leslie Banks, British actor (d. 1952)
- 1915Les Paul, American guitarist and inventor (d. 2009)
- 1941Jon Lord, English pianist and organist (Deep Purple)
- 1942Anton Burghardt, German footballer
- 1978Miroslav Klose, German football player
- 1978Shandi Finnessey, American beauty queen
- 1980Lehlohonolo Seema, South African football player
- 1983Jim Tang, Hong Kong actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.