March 11: Day of the Week
March 11, 2023 was the 70th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 295 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WUNWMFVEJE? Check your answers here: Word search WUNWMFVEJE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1708Queen Anne withholds Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a British monarch vetoes legislation.
- 1848Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine and Robert Baldwin become the first Prime Ministers of the Province of Canada to be democratically elected under a system of responsible government.
- 1867The first performance of Don Carlos by Giuseppe Verdi takes place in Paris.
- 1872The Meiji Japanese government officially annexes the Ryukyu Kingdom into what would become the Okinawa prefecture.
- 1931Ready for Labour and Defence of the USSR, abbreviated as GTO, is introduced in the Soviet Union.
- 1942World War II: General Douglas MacArthur leaves Corregidor.
- 1983Pakistan successfully conducts a cold test of a nuclear weapon.
- 1990Lithuania declares itself independent from the Soviet Union.
- 2009Seventeen are killed in a shooting at a school in Germany.
- 2010Economist and businessman Sebastián Piñera is sworn in as President of Chile, while three earthquakes, the strongest measuring magnitude 6.9 and all centered next to Pichilemu, capital of Cardenal Caro Province, hit central Chile during the ceremony.
Who were born on March 11?
- 1818Marius Petipa, French ballet dancer and choreographer (d. 1910)
- 1899King Frederick IX of Denmark (d. 1972)
- 1956Curtis Brown, NASA astronaut
- 1958Flemming Rose, Danish journalist
- 1961Elias Koteas, Canadian actor
- 1966Ilias Zouros, Greek basketball coach
- 1967John Barrowman, Scottish-American actor
- 1977Becky Hammon, American basketball player
- 1978Paulo Musse, Brazilian footballer
- 1985Paul Bissonnette, Canadian ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.