March 16: Day of the Week
March 16, 2020 was the 76th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 290 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UQWAOVR? Check your answers here: Word search UQWAOVR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1521Ferdinand Magellan reached the Philippines.
- 1792King Gustav III of Sweden is shot; he died on March 29.
- 1865American Civil War: The Battle of Averasborough began as Confederate forces suffer irreplaceable casualties in the final months of the war.
- 1912Lawrence Oates, an ill member of Robert Falcon Scott’s South Pole expedition, left the tent to die, saying: “I am just going outside and may be some time.”
- 1940First person killed in a German bombing raid on the UK in World War II during a raid on Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands, James Isbister.
- 1945Ninety percent of Würzburg, Germany is destroyed in only 20 minutes by British bombers. 5,000 are killed.
- 1950Communist Czechoslovakia’s ministry of foreign affairs asked nuncios of Vatican to leave the country.
- 1958The Ford Motor Company produced its 50 millionth automobile, the Thunderbird, averaging almost a million cars a year since the company’s founding.
- 1968Vietnam War: In the My Lai massacre, between 350 and 500 Vietnamese villagers (men, women, and children) are killed by American troops.
- 1983Demolition of the radio tower Ismaning, the last wooden radio tower in Germany.
Who were born on March 16?
- 1631René Le Bossu, French critic (d. 1680)
- 1800Emperor Ninko of Japan (d. 1846)
- 1845Umegatani Tōtarō I, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 15th Yokozuna (d. 1928)
- 1856Napoléon Eugène, Prince Imperial, only child of Emperor Napoleon III of France (d. 1879)
- 1869F. A. Forbes, Scottish author (d. 1936)
- 1918Frederick Reines, American physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1998)
- 1928Karlheinz Böhm, Austrian actor
- 1984Levi Brown, American football player
- 1986Joe Denly, English cricketer
- 1987Tiiu Kuik, Estonian model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.