March 19: Day of the Week
March 19, 2020 was the 79th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 287 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MEENIQ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters MEENIQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
It’s uncommon for the March equinox to fall on this day. The last time it did was in 1796 and the next will be in 2044.
March 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1687Explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle, searching for the mouth of the Mississippi River, is murdered by his own men.
- 1863The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, medicines and merchandise then valued at over $1,000,000.
- 1865American Civil War: The Battle of Bentonville begins. By the end of the battle two days later, Confederate forces had retreated from Four Oaks, North Carolina.
- 1885Louis Riel declares a Provisional Government in Saskatchewan, beginning the North-West Rebellion.
- 1945World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his “Nero Decree” ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
- 1965The wreck of the SS Georgiana, valued at over $50,000,000 and said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is discovered by then teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence, exactly 102 years after its destruction.
- 1966Texas Western becomes the first college basketball team to win the Final Four with an all-black starting lineup.
- 1987Televangelist Jim Bakker resigns as head of the PTL Club due to a brewing sex scandal; he hands over control to Jerry Falwell.
- 2002Zimbabwe is suspended from the Commonwealth on charges of human rights abuses and of electoral fraud, following a turbulent presidential election.
- 20043-19 Shooting Incident: Taiwanese president Chen Shui-bian is shot just before the country’s presidential election on March 20.
Who were born on March 19?
- 1900Frédéric Joliot, French physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1958)
- 1904John Sirica, American judge (d. 1992)
- 1943Vern Schuppan, Australian racing driver
- 1946Ruth Pointer, American singer (Pointer Sisters)
- 1954Cho Kwang-Rae, South Korean football manager
- 1967Michael Bletsas, Greek engineer, Director of Computing at the MIT Media Lab
- 1976Stelios Sfakianakis, Greek footballer
- 1977Jorma Taccone, American writer and comedian
- 1984Tanushree Dutta, Indian actress
- 1987Josie Lopez, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.