March 19: Day of the Week
March 19, 2020 is the 79th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 287 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Marissa’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
It’s uncommon for the March equinox to fall on this day. The last time it did was in 1796 and the next will be in 2044.
March 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1863The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, medicines and merchandise then valued at over $1,000,000.
- 1865American Civil War: The Battle of Bentonville begins. By the end of the battle two days later, Confederate forces had retreated from Four Oaks, North Carolina.
- 1920The United States Senate rejects the Treaty of Versailles for the second time (the first time was on November 19, 1919).
- 1932The Sydney Harbour Bridge is opened.
- 1945World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his “Nero Decree” ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
- 1954Joey Giardello knocks out Willie Tory in round seven at Madison Square Garden in the first televised prize boxing fight shown in colour.
- 1954Willie Mosconi sets a world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition at East High Billiard Club in Springfield, Ohio. The record still stands today.
- 1962Algerian War of Independence: A ceasefire takes effect.
- 1969The 385 m tall TV-mast at Emley Moor, United Kingdom, collapses due to ice build-up.
- 2003United States President George W. Bush orders the start of war against Iraq.
Who were born on March 19?
- 1914Jay Berwanger, American football player (d. 2002)
- 1923Benito Jacovitti, Italian comic artist (d. 1997)
- 1923Henry Morgentaler, Canadian gynecologist
- 1936Ursula Andress, Swiss actress
- 1947Marinho Peres, Brazilian football player
- 1961Jos Lansink, Dutch-Belgian equestrian
- 1968Mots'eoa Senyane, Lesotho diplomat
- 1971Sébastien Godefroid, Belgian sailor
- 1979Hedo Türkoğlu, Turkish basketball player
- 1987Michal Švec, Czech footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.