March 19: Day of the Week
March 19, 2020 was the 79th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 287 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Wilbur’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
It’s uncommon for the March equinox to fall on this day. The last time it did was in 1796 and the next will be in 2044.
March 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1687Explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle, searching for the mouth of the Mississippi River, is murdered by his own men.
- 1863The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, medicines and merchandise then valued at over $1,000,000.
- 1895Auguste and Louis Lumière record their first footage using their newly patented cinematograph.
- 1921Irish War of Independence: One of the biggest engagements of the war takes place at Crossbarry, County Cork. About 100 Irish Republican Army (IRA) volunteers escape an attempt by over 1,300 British forces to encircle them.
- 1945World War II: Off the coast of Japan, a dive bomber hits the aircraft carrier USS Franklin, killing 724 of her crew. Badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
- 1946French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion become overseas départements of France.
- 1958The Monarch Underwear Company fire leaves 24 dead and 15 injured.
- 1979The United States House of Representatives begins broadcasting its day-to-day business via the cable television network C-SPAN.
- 2004A Swedish DC-3 shot down by a Russian MiG-15 in 1952 over the Baltic Sea is finally recovered after years of work. The remains of the three crewmen are left in place, pending further investigations.
- 2008GRB 080319B: A cosmic burst that is the farthest object visible to the naked eye is briefly observed.
Who were born on March 19?
- 1823Princess Adelgunde of Bavaria (d. 1914)
- 1905Albert Speer, German architect (d. 1981)
- 1929Miquel Martí i Pol, Catalan poet (d. 2003)
- 1947Glenn Close, American actress
- 1960Simo Aalto, Finnish magician
- 1967Katia Tiutiunnik, Australian violist and composer
- 1973Simmone Jade Mackinnon, Australian actress
- 1979Ivan Ljubičić, Croatian tennis player
- 1982Matt Littler, British actor
- 1987Josie Lopez, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.