March 19: Day of the Week
March 19, 2019 was the 78th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 287 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
It’s uncommon for the March equinox to fall on this day. The last time it did was in 1796 and the next will be in 2044.
March 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1279A Mongolian victory Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China.
- 1863The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, medicines and merchandise then valued at over $1,000,000.
- 1865American Civil War: The Battle of Bentonville begins. By the end of the battle two days later, Confederate forces had retreated from Four Oaks, North Carolina.
- 1920The United States Senate rejects the Treaty of Versailles for the second time (the first time was on November 19, 1919).
- 1921Irish War of Independence: One of the biggest engagements of the war takes place at Crossbarry, County Cork. About 100 Irish Republican Army (IRA) volunteers escape an attempt by over 1,300 British forces to encircle them.
- 1945World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his “Nero Decree” ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
- 1954Joey Giardello knocks out Willie Tory in round seven at Madison Square Garden in the first televised prize boxing fight shown in colour.
- 1990The ethnic clashes of Târgu Mureş begin four days after the anniversary of the Revolutions of 1848 in the Habsburg areas.
- 20043-19 Shooting Incident: Taiwanese president Chen Shui-bian is shot just before the country’s presidential election on March 20.
- 2004A Swedish DC-3 shot down by a Russian MiG-15 in 1952 over the Baltic Sea is finally recovered after years of work. The remains of the three crewmen are left in place, pending further investigations.
Who were born on March 19?
- 1534José de Anchieta, Spanish Jesuit missionary to Brazil (d. 1597)
- 1883Walter Haworth, British chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1950)
- 1923Pamela Britton, American actress (d. 1974)
- 1928Patrick McGoohan, American actor (d. 2009)
- 1946Ruth Pointer, American singer (Pointer Sisters)
- 1967Mary Scheer, American actress and comedian
- 1975Vivian Hsu, Taiwanese singer, actress and model
- 1980Mikuni Shimokawa, Japanese singer
- 1987April Jeanette, American wrestler
- 1987Milos Teodosic, Serbian basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.