March 20: Day of the Week
March 20, 2019 was the 79th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 286 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
March 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1602The Dutch East India Company is established.
- 1888The premiere of the very first Romani language operetta is staged in Moscow, Russia.
- 1942World War II: General Douglas MacArthur, at Terowie, South Australia, makes his famous speech regarding the fall of the Philippines, in which he says: “I came out of Bataan and I shall return”.
- 1951Fujiyoshida, a city located in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan, in the center of the Japanese main island of Honshū is founded.
- 1964The precursor of the European Space Agency, ESRO (European Space Research Organization) is established per an agreement signed on June 14, 1962.
- 1985Canadian paraplegic athlete and humanitarian Rick Hansen begins his circumnavigation of the globe in a wheelchair in the name of spinal cord injury medical research.
- 1985Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win the 1,135-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
- 1993An IRA bomb explodes, killing two children in Warrington, Northwest England.
- 1995A sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway kills 12 and wounds 1,300 persons.
- 2005A magnitude 6.6 earthquake hits Fukuoka, Japan, its first major quake in over 100 years. One person is killed, hundreds are injured and evacuated.
Who were born on March 20?
- 1770Friedrich Hölderlin, German writer (d. 1843)
- 1890Beniamino Gigli, Italian tenor (d. 1957)
- 1903Edgar Buchanan, American actor (d. 1979)
- 1954Mike Francesa, American sports talk show host
- 1961Slim Jim Phantom, American musician (Stray Cats)
- 1964Natacha Atlas, Belgian singer
- 1969Mannie Fresh, American producer
- 1982José Moreira, Portuguese footballer
- 1985Morgan Amalfitano, French footballer
- 1987Patrick Boyle, Scottish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.