March 28: Day of the Week
March 28, 2019 was the 87th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 278 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jan’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
March 28 Historical Event(s)
- 37Roman Emperor Caligula accepts the titles of the Principate, entitled to him by the Senate.
- 1795Partitions of Poland: The Duchy of Courland, a northern fief of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, ceases to exist and becomes part of Imperial Russia.
- 1809Peninsular War: France defeats Spain in the Battle of Medelin.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Glorieta Pass – in New Mexico, Union forces stop the Confederate invasion of New Mexico territory. The battle began on March 26.
- 1889The Yngsjö murder occurs in Yngsjö, Sweden and Anna Månsdotter is arrested along with her son.
- 1920Palm Sunday tornado outbreak of 1920 affects the Great Lakes region and Deep South states.
- 1968Brazilian high school student Edson Luís de Lima Souto is shot by the police in a protest for cheaper meals at a restaurant for low-income students. The aftermath of his death is one of the first major events against the military dictatorship.
- 1978The US Supreme Court hands down 5-3 decision in Stump v. Sparkman, 435 U.S. 349, a controversial case involving involuntary sterilization and judicial immunity.
- 1979The British House of Commons passes a vote of no confidence against James Callaghan’s government, precipitating a general election.
- 2003In a friendly fire incident, two A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft from the United States Idaho Air National Guard’s 190th Fighter Squadron attack British tanks participating in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, killing British soldier Matty Hull.
Who were born on March 28?
- 1818Wade Hampton III, American soldier and politician (d. 1902)
- 1895Christian Herter, American politician (d. 1966)
- 1928Alexander Grothendieck, German mathematician
- 1934Lester Brown, American environmentalist
- 1936Mario Vargas Llosa, Peruvian author, politician and Nobel laureate
- 1944Ken Howard, American actor
- 1954Morris Mason, American convicted rapist and murderer (d. 1985)
- 1962Terry Szopinski, American pro-wrestler
- 1971Wesley Person, American basketball player
- 1972Nick Frost, English comedian and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.