March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2019 was the 67th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1126Following the death of his mother Urraca, Alfonso VII is proclaimed king of Castile and León.
- 1775An anonymous writer, thought by some to be Thomas Paine, publishes “African Slavery in America”, the first article in the American colonies calling for the emancipation of slaves and the abolition of slavery.
- 1817The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- 1911International Women’s Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark, by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women’s Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- 1917International Women’s Day protests in St. Petersburg mark the beginning of the February Revolution (so named because it was February on the Julian calendar).
- 1921Spanish Premier Eduardo Dato Iradier is assassinated while exiting the parliament building in Madrid.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: The Battle of Guadalajara begins.
- 1949Mildred Gillars (“Axis Sally”) is condemned to prison for treason
- 1974Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris, France.
- 1985A failed assassination attempt on Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah in Beirut, Lebanon, kills at least 45 and injures 175 others.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1804Alvan Clark, American telescope maker and astronomer (d. 1887)
- 1900Howard Aiken, American computing pioneer (d. 1973)
- 1916John W. Seybold, American businessman, father of computer typesetting (d. 2004)
- 1947Florentino Pérez, Spanish football executive
- 1964Lance McCullers, American baseball player
- 1967Joel Johnston, American baseball player
- 1972Angie Hart, Australian pop singer
- 1977Johann Vogel, Swiss footballer
- 1978Nick Zano, American actor
- 1982Leonidas Kampantais, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.