March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2020 was the 68th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Monica’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1655John Casor becomes the first legally-recognized slave in England’s North American colonies.
- 1722The Safavid Empire of Iran is defeated by an army from Afghanistan at The Battle of Gulnabad, pushing Iran into anarchy.
- 1777Regiments from Ansbach and Bayreuth, sent to support Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War, mutiny in the town of Ochsenfurt.
- 1911International Women’s Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark, by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women’s Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- 1916World War I: A British force unsuccessfully attempts to relieve the siege of Kut (present-day Iraq) in the Battle of Dujaila.
- 1920The Arab Kingdom of Syria, the first modern Arab state to come into existence, is established.
- 1942World War II: The Dutch surrender to Japanese forces on Java.
- 1978The first radio episode of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, is transmitted on BBC Radio 4.
- 1979Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
- 1985A failed assassination attempt on Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah in Beirut, Lebanon, kills at least 45 and injures 175 others.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1827Wilhelm Bleek, German linguist (d. 1875)
- 1872Anna Held, Polish actress and singer (d. 1918)
- 1902Jennings Randolph, America politician, United States Senator from West Virginia (d. 1998)
- 1936Gábor Szabó, Hungarian guitarist (d. 1982)
- 1944Pepe Romero, Spanish guitarist
- 1955Don Ashby, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1981)
- 1957Cynthia Rothrock, American actress
- 1970Jason Elam, American football player
- 1981Michael Beauchamp, Australian footballer
- 1982Craig Stansberry, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.