March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2020 was the 68th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JOJTAEMI? Check your answers here: Word solver JOJTAEMI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1736Nader Shah, founder of the Afsharid dynasty, is crowned Shah of Iran.
- 1782Gnadenhütten massacre: Ninety-six Native Americans in Gnadenhutten, Ohio, who had converted to Christianity are killed by Pennsylvania militiamen in retaliation for raids carried out by other Indians.
- 1868Sakai incident: Japanese samurai kill 11 French sailors in the port of Sakai near Osaka.
- 1911International Women’s Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark, by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women’s Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- 1920The Arab Kingdom of Syria, the first modern Arab state to come into existence, is established.
- 1936Daytona Beach Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- 1957Ghana joins the United Nations.
- 1957The 1957 Georgia Memorial to Congress, which petitions the U.S. Congress to declare the ratification of the 14th & 15th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution null and void, is adopted by the U.S. state of Georgia.
- 1979Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
- 2004A new constitution is signed by Iraq’s Governing Council.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1886Edward Calvin Kendall, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1972)
- 1892Juana de Ibarbourou, Uruguayan poet (d. 1979)
- 1892Mississippi John Hurt, American blues singer and guitarist (d. 1966)
- 1926Francisco Rabal, Spanish actor (d. 2001)
- 1948Peggy March, American pop singer
- 1958Gary Numan, British singer
- 1959Lester Holt, American television journalist
- 1976Hines Ward, American football player
- 1980Charli Delaney, Australian singer (Hi-5)
- 1980Stephen Milne, Australian rules footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.