March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2020 was the 68th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sabrina’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1010Ferdowsi completes his Shāhnāmeh.
- 1782Gnadenhütten massacre: Ninety-six Native Americans in Gnadenhutten, Ohio, who had converted to Christianity are killed by Pennsylvania militiamen in retaliation for raids carried out by other Indians.
- 1917International Women’s Day protests in St. Petersburg mark the beginning of the February Revolution (so named because it was February on the Julian calendar).
- 1949Mildred Gillars (“Axis Sally”) is condemned to prison for treason
- 1957Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal after the Suez Crisis.
- 1957Ghana joins the United Nations.
- 1966A bomb planted by young Irish protesters destroys Nelson’s Pillar in Dublin.
- 1974Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris, France.
- 1985A failed assassination attempt on Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah in Beirut, Lebanon, kills at least 45 and injures 175 others.
- 1999The Supreme Court of the United States upholds the murder convictions of Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City bombing.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1746André Michaux, French botanist (d. 1802)
- 1879Otto Hahn, German chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1968)
- 1900Howard Aiken, American computing pioneer (d. 1973)
- 1921Fritz Luchsinger, Swiss mountaineer (d. 1983)
- 1940Susan Clark, Canadian actress
- 1943Dionysis Simopoulos, Greek physicist and astronomer
- 1950Richard Ouzounian, Canadian/American theatre director and critic
- 1964Lance McCullers, American baseball player
- 1974Mike Moriarty, American baseball player
- 1976Gaz Coombes, English singer (Supergrass)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.