March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2017 was the 68th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Pisces horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1230Bulgarian tsar Ivan Asen II defeats Theodore of Epirus in the Battle of Klokotnitsa.
- 1765After a campaign by the writer Voltaire, judges in Paris posthumously exonerate Jean Calas of murdering his son. Calas had been tortured and executed in 1762 on the charge, though his son may have actually committed suicide.
- 1841The U.S. Supreme Court rules that captive Africans who had seized control of the ship carrying them had been taken into slavery illegally.
- 1933Great Depression: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- 1946Bolton Wanderers stadium disaster at Burnden Park, Bolton, England, 33 killed and hundreds injured
- 1956Soviet military suppresses a mass demonstrations in the Georgian SSR, reacting to Nikita Khrushchev’s de-Stalinization policy.
- 1959The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- 1967Trans World Airlines Flight 553, a Douglas DC-9-15, crashes in a field in Concord Township, Ohio following a mid-air collision with a Beechcraft Baron, killing 26.
- 1977The Hanafi Muslim Siege: In a thirty-nine hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C., buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.
- 2011Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing after 39 flights.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1737Josef Mysliveček, Czech composer (d. 1781)
- 1900Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta, Italian aristocrat (d. 1948)
- 1902Will Geer, American actor (d. 1978)
- 1934Joyce Van Patten, American actress
- 1943Bobby Fischer, American chess player (d. 2008)
- 1945Dennis Rader, American serial killer
- 1961Darrell Walker, American basketball player
- 1969Rob Dukes, American musician (Exodus)
- 1970Shannon Leto, American drummer and actor (30 Seconds to Mars)
- 1989Taeyeon (Kim Tae-yeon), South Korean singer (Girls’ Generation)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.