March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2021 is the 68th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XCOCOAGE? Check your answers here: Words with these letters XCOCOAGE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1765After a campaign by the writer Voltaire, judges in Paris posthumously exonerate Jean Calas of murdering his son. Calas had been tortured and executed in 1762 on the charge, though his son may have actually committed suicide.
- 1842The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- 1862American Civil War: The USS Monitor and Ship CSS fight to a draw in the Battle of Hampton Roads, the first battle between two ironclad warships.
- 1944World War II: Japanese troops counter-attack American forces on Hill 700 in Bougainville in a battle that would last five days.
- 1957A magnitude 8.3 earthquake in the Andreanof Islands, Alaska triggers a Pacific-wide tsunami causing extensive damage to Hawaii and Oahu.
- 1959The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- 1960Dr. Belding Hibbard Scribner implants for the first time a shunt he invented into a patient, which allows the patient to receive hemodialysis on a regular basis.
- 1961Sputnik 9 successfully launches, carrying a human dummy nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich, and demonstrating that Soviet Union was ready to begin human spaceflight.
- 1967Trans World Airlines Flight 553, a Douglas DC-9-15, crashes in a field in Concord Township, Ohio following a mid-air collision with a Beechcraft Baron, killing 26.
- 1989Financially-troubled Eastern Air Lines filed for bankruptcy.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1568Aloysius Gonzaga, Italian saint (d. 1591)
- 1921Carl Betz, American actor (d. 1978)
- 1932Keely Smith, American singer
- 1934Joyce Van Patten, American actress
- 1945Robin Trower, British rock musician
- 1956David Willetts, UK Minister of State for Universities and Science (Conservative)
- 1966Brendan Canty, American musician (Fugazi)
- 1981Anders Nøhr, Danish footballer
- 1983Ioannis Masmanidis, German footballer
- 1987Bow Wow, American rapper and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.