March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2018 was the 68th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Pisces horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 141 BCLiu Che, posthumously known as Emperor Wu of Han, assumes the throne over the Han Dynasty of China.
- 1009First known mention of Lithuania, in the annals of the monastery of Quedlinburg.
- 1842Giuseppe Verdi’s third opera, Nabucco, receives its première performance in Milan; its success establishes Verdi as one of Italy’s foremost opera writers.
- 1842The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- 1933Great Depression: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- 1944The Soviet Air Forces conduct heavy bombing on Tallinn, Estonia, killing up to 800 people, mostly civilians.
- 1945The Bombing of Tokyo by the United States Army Air Forces began, one of the most destructive bombing raids in history.
- 1946Bolton Wanderers stadium disaster at Burnden Park, Bolton, England, 33 killed and hundreds injured
- 1956Soviet military suppresses a mass demonstrations in the Georgian SSR, reacting to Nikita Khrushchev’s de-Stalinization policy.
- 1997Comet Hale-Bopp: Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1814Taras Shevchenko, Ukrainian poet (d. 1861)
- 1825Alexander F. Mozhayskiy, Russian aviation pioneer (d. 1890)
- 1929Zillur Rahman, President of Bangladesh.
- 1935Andrew Viterbi, American scientist and businessman
- 1950Danny Sullivan, American race car driver
- 1961Rick Steiner, American wrestler
- 1963David Pogue, Technology columnist and musician
- 1964Steve Wilkos, American police officer and talk show host
- 1973Aaron Boone, American baseball player
- 1984Julia Mancuso, American skier
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.