March 9: Day of the Week
March 9, 2019 was the 68th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 297 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
March 9 Historical Event(s)
- 141 BCLiu Che, posthumously known as Emperor Wu of Han, assumes the throne over the Han Dynasty of China.
- 1230Bulgarian tsar Ivan Asen II defeats Theodore of Epirus in the Battle of Klokotnitsa.
- 1796Napoléon Bonaparte marries his first wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais.
- 1916Pancho Villa leads nearly 500 Mexican raiders in an attack against Columbus, New Mexico.
- 1925Pink’s War: The first Royal Air Force operation conducted independently of the British Army or Royal Navy begins.
- 1959The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- 1960Dr. Belding Hibbard Scribner implants for the first time a shunt he invented into a patient, which allows the patient to receive hemodialysis on a regular basis.
- 1961Sputnik 9 successfully launches, carrying a human dummy nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich, and demonstrating that Soviet Union was ready to begin human spaceflight.
- 1990Dr. Antonia Novello is sworn in as Surgeon General of the United States, becoming the first female and Hispanic American to serve in that position.
- 1991Massive demonstrations are held against Slobodan Milošević in Belgrade.
Who were born on March 9?
- 1820Samuel Blatchford, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (d. 1893)
- 1910Samuel Barber, American composer (d. 1981)
- 1918Mickey Spillane, American writer (d. 2006)
- 1929Desmond Hoyte, Prime Minister and President of Guyana (d. 2002)
- 1930Ornette Coleman, American musician
- 1932Keely Smith, American singer
- 1942John Cale, Welsh musician (The Velvet Underground)
- 1958Linda Fiorentino, American actress
- 1966Michael Patrick MacDonald, American memorist
- 1981Antonio Bryant, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.