May 10: Day of the Week
May 10, 2019 was the 130th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 235 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1497Amerigo Vespucci allegedly leaves Cádiz for his first voyage to the New World.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: Representatives from the Thirteen Colonies begin the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia.
- 1801First Barbary War: The Barbary pirates of Tripoli declare war on the United States of America.
- 1865American Civil War: In Kentucky, Union soldiers ambush and mortally wound Confederate raider William Quantrill, who lingers until his death on June 6.
- 1865American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is captured by Union troops near Irwinville, Georgia.
- 1893The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Nix v. Hedden that a tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit, under the Tariff Act of 1883.
- 1908Mother’s Day is observed for the first time in the United States, in Grafton, West Virginia.
- 1940World War II: Germany invades Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.
- 1981François Mitterrand wins the presidential election and becomes the first Socialist President of France in the French Fifth Republic.
- 1994Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa’s first black president.
Who were born on May 10?
- 1863Upendrakishore Ray, Indian writer, painter and composer (d. 1915)
- 1902Anatole Litvak, Ukrainian-born film director (d. 1974)
- 1907Freddie Spencer Chapman, British army officer (d. 1971)
- 1957Sid Vicious, English bassist (The Sex Pistols) (d. 1979)
- 1960Dean Heller, American politician
- 1963Lisa Nowak, American astronaut
- 1976Steve Howard, Scottish footballer
- 1983Natalia Zabala, Spanish beauty pageant contestant
- 1984Kristyna Myles, British singer
- 1985Ryan Getzlaf, Canadian ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.