May 10: Day of the Week
May 10, 2020 was the 131st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 235 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Connie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 10 Historical Event(s)
- 70Siege of Jerusalem: Titus, son of emperor Vespasian, opens a full-scale assault on Jerusalem and attacks the city’s Third Wall to the northwest.
- 1534Jacques Cartier visits Newfoundland.
- 1774Louis XVI becomes King of France.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: A small Colonial militia led by Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold captures Fort Ticonderoga.
- 1824The National Gallery in London opens to the public.
- 1864American Civil War: Colonel Emory Upton leads a 10-regiment “Attack-in-depth” assault against the Confederate works at The Battle of Spotsylvania, which, though ultimately unsuccessful, would provide the idea for the massive assault against the Bloody Angle on May 12. Upton is slightly wounded but is immediately promoted to Brigadier general.
- 1877Romania declares itself independent from the Ottoman Empire following the Senate adoption of Mihail Kogălniceanu’s Declaration of Independence. This act is recognized on March 26, 1881 after the end of the Romanian War of Independence.
- 1893The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Nix v. Hedden that a tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit, under the Tariff Act of 1883.
- 1908Mother’s Day is observed for the first time in the United States, in Grafton, West Virginia.
- 1994Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa’s first black president.
Who were born on May 10?
- 1641Dudley North, English economist (d. 1691)
- 1727Anne Robert Turgot, French statesman (d. 1781)
- 1788Augustin-Jean Fresnel, French physicist (d. 1827)
- 1909Maybelle Carter, American musician (d. 1978)
- 1934Cliff Wilson, Welsh snooker player (d. 1994)
- 1938Manuel Santana, Spanish tennis champion
- 1943Richard Darman, American economist
- 1954F. Charles Brunicardi, American surgeon
- 1965Rony Seikaly, Lebanese basketball player
- 1977Keith Murray, American singer (We Are Scientists)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.