May 10: Day of the Week
May 10, 2020 was the 131st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 235 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BBAOOHUSRDZ? Check your answers here: Word finder BBAOOHUSRDZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 10 Historical Event(s)
- 70Siege of Jerusalem: Titus, son of emperor Vespasian, opens a full-scale assault on Jerusalem and attacks the city’s Third Wall to the northwest.
- 1503Christopher Columbus visits the Cayman Islands and names them Las Tortugas after the numerous turtles there.
- 1857Indian Mutiny: In India, the first war of Independence begins. Sepoys revolt against their commanding officers at Meerut.
- 1893The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Nix v. Hedden that a tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit, under the Tariff Act of 1883.
- 1908Mother’s Day is observed for the first time in the United States, in Grafton, West Virginia.
- 1924J. Edgar Hoover is appointed the Director of the United States’ Federal Bureau of Investigation, and remains so until his death in 1972.
- 1940World War II: Invasion of Iceland by the United Kingdom.
- 1997A 7.3 Mw earthquake strikes Iran’s Khorasan Province, killing 1,567, injuring over 2,300, leaving 50,000 homeless, and damaging or destroying over 15,000 homes.
- 2005A hand grenade thrown by Vladimir Arutinian lands about 65 feet (20 metres) from U.S. President George W. Bush while he is giving a speech to a crowd in Tbilisi, Georgia, but it malfunctions and does not detonate.
- 2008An EF4 tornado strikes the Oklahoma-Kansas state line, killing 21 people and injuring over 100.
Who were born on May 10?
- 1788Catherine Pavlovna of Russia, Russian-born queen of Württemberg (d. 1819)
- 1813Montgomery Blair, American politician (d. 1883)
- 1940Wayne A. Downing, retired United States Army general
- 1946Graham Gouldman, British musician and songwriter (10cc)
- 1956Jonathan Roberts, American writer played Mufasa from Lion King.
- 1963Lisa Nowak, American astronaut
- 1970David Weir, Scottish footballer
- 1975Adam Deadmarsh, American ice hockey player
- 1976Rob Malda, American internet writer/editor (Slashdot)
- 1992Charice Pempengco, Filipino singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.