May 10: Day of the Week
May 10, 2020 was the 131st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 235 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Frederick’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 10 Historical Event(s)
- 70Siege of Jerusalem: Titus, son of emperor Vespasian, opens a full-scale assault on Jerusalem and attacks the city’s Third Wall to the northwest.
- 1796First Coalition: Napoleon I of France wins a decisive victory against Austrian forces at Lodi bridge over the Adda River in Italy. The Austrians lose some 2,000 men.
- 1824The National Gallery in London opens to the public.
- 1849Astor Place Riot: A riot breaks out at the Astor Opera House in Manhattan, New York City over a dispute between actors Edwin Forrest and William Charles Macready, killing at least 25 and injuring over 120.
- 1865American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is captured by Union troops near Irwinville, Georgia.
- 1948The Republic of China implements “temporary provisions” granting President Chiang Kai-shek extended powers to deal with the Communist uprising; they will remain in effect until 1991.
- 1960The nuclear submarine USS Triton completes Operation Sandblast, the first underwater circumnavigation of the earth.
- 1969Vietnam War: The Battle of Dong Ap Bia begins with an assault on Hill 937. It will ultimately become known as Hamburger Hill.
- 1994Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa’s first black president.
- 2002F.B.I. agent Robert Hanssen is sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for selling United States secrets to Moscow for $1.4 million in cash and diamonds.
Who were born on May 10?
- 1788Augustin-Jean Fresnel, French physicist (d. 1827)
- 1889Mae Murray, American actress (d. 1965)
- 1916Milton Babbitt, American composer (d. 2011)
- 1943David Clennon, American actor
- 1967Nobuhiro Takeda, Japanese footballer and sportscaster
- 1970Dallas Roberts, American actor
- 1976Stuart Braithwaite, Scottish musician (Mogwai)
- 1978Kenan Thompson, American actor
- 1990Lauren Potter, American Actress
- 1991Giorgos Machlelis, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.