May 10: Day of the Week
May 10, 2019 is the 130th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 235 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1655England, with troops under the command of Admiral William Penn and General Robert Venables, annexes Jamaica from Spain.
- 1796First Coalition: Napoleon I of France wins a decisive victory against Austrian forces at Lodi bridge over the Adda River in Italy. The Austrians lose some 2,000 men.
- 1801First Barbary War: The Barbary pirates of Tripoli declare war on the United States of America.
- 1864American Civil War: Colonel Emory Upton leads a 10-regiment “Attack-in-depth” assault against the Confederate works at The Battle of Spotsylvania, which, though ultimately unsuccessful, would provide the idea for the massive assault against the Bloody Angle on May 12. Upton is slightly wounded but is immediately promoted to Brigadier general.
- 1940World War II: Germany invades Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.
- 1948The Republic of China implements “temporary provisions” granting President Chiang Kai-shek extended powers to deal with the Communist uprising; they will remain in effect until 1991.
- 1979The Federated States of Micronesia become self-governing.
- 1981François Mitterrand wins the presidential election and becomes the first Socialist President of France in the French Fifth Republic.
- 1994Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa’s first black president.
- 2002F.B.I. agent Robert Hanssen is sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for selling United States secrets to Moscow for $1.4 million in cash and diamonds.
Who were born on May 10?
- 1756Singu Min, King of Burma (d. 1782)
- 1775Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, French cavalry general (d. 1809)
- 1838John Wilkes Booth, American actor and assassin of Abraham Lincoln (d. 1865)
- 1942Jim Calhoun, American college basketball coach
- 1946Maureen Lipman, English actress
- 1948Meg Foster, American actress
- 1968William Regal (Darren Matthews), English professional wrestler
- 1969Dennis Bergkamp, Dutch footballer
- 1975Andrea Anders, American Actress
- 1990Lauren Potter, American Actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.