May 13: Day of the Week
May 13, 2023 was the 133rd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 232 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters HBIOABOPSLOZR? Check your answers here: Word scramble HBIOABOPSLOZR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
May 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1568Battle of Langside: the forces of Mary, Queen of Scots, are defeated by a confederacy of Scottish Protestants under James Stewart, Earl of Moray, her half-brother.
- 1619Dutch statesman Johan van Oldenbarnevelt is executed in The Hague after being convicted of treason.
- 1648Construction of the Red Fort at Delhi is completed.
- 1830Ecuador gains its independence from Gran Colombia.
- 1880In Menlo Park, New Jersey, Thomas Edison performs the first test of his electric railway.
- 1912The Royal Flying Corps (now the Royal Air Force) is established in the United Kingdom.
- 1950The first round of the Formula One World Championship is held at Silverstone.
- 1958The trade mark Velcro is registered.
- 1994Johnny Carson makes his last television appearance on Late Show with David Letterman.
- 1998India carries out two nuclear tests at Pokhran, following the three conducted on May 11. The United States and Japan impose economic sanctions on India.
Who were born on May 13?
- 1795Gérard Paul Deshayes, French geologist (d. 1875)
- 1904Louis Duffus, South African cricketer (d. 1984)
- 1918T. Balasaraswati, Indian Bharatanatyam dancer (d. 1984)
- 1922Michael Ainsworth, British cricketer (d. 1978)
- 1924Theodore Mann, American theatre producer and director
- 1943Mary Wells, American singer (d. 1992)
- 1950Danny Kirwan, British musician (Fleetwood Mac)
- 1952John Kasich, American politician and political commentator
- 1974Brian Geraghty, American actor
- 1977Neil Hopkins, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.