May 15: Day of the Week
May 15, 2020 was the 136th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 230 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Irma’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1567Mary, Queen of Scots, marries James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, her third husband.
- 1791Maximilien Robespierre proposes the Self-denying Ordinance.
- 1817Opening of the first private mental health hospital in the United States, the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason (now Friends Hospital) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of New Market, Virginia – students from the Virginia Military Institute fight alongside the Confederate Army to force Union General Franz Sigel out of the Shenandoah Valley.
- 1934Kārlis Ulmanis establishes an authoritarian government in Latvia.
- 1942World War II: in the United States, a bill creating the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) is signed into law.
- 1943Joseph Stalin dissolves the Comintern (or Third International).
- 1951The Polish cultural attache in Paris, Czesław Miłosz, asks the French government for political asylum.
- 1970Philip Lafayette Gibbs and James Earl Green are killed at Jackson State University by police during student protests.
- 1972The island of Okinawa, under U.S. military governance since its conquest in 1945, reverts to Japanese control.
Who were born on May 15?
- 1909Clara Solovera, Chilean folk musician (d. 1992)
- 1914Norrie Paramor, British arranger, conductor (d. 1979)
- 1943David Cronenberg, Canadian screenwriter and film director
- 1952Chazz Palminteri, American actor, writer and director
- 1960Rob Bowman, American film director
- 1969Emmitt Smith, American football player
- 1975Ray Lewis, American football player
- 1986Adam Moffat, British football player
- 1987Ersan İlyasova, Turkish basketball player
- 1995Ksenia Sitnik, Belarusian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.