May 15: Day of the Week
May 15, 2020 was the 136th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 230 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Elijah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1829The Aaronic Priesthood is restored to Joseph Smith Jr. and Oliver Cowdery, prior to the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 1858Opening of the present Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Resaca, Georgia ends.
- 1891Pope Leo XIII defends workers’ rights and property rights in the encyclical Rerum Novarum, the beginning of modern Catholic social teaching.
- 1911In Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey v. United States, the United States Supreme Court declares Standard Oil to be an “unreasonable” monopoly under the Sherman Antitrust Act and orders the company to be broken up.
- 1935The Moscow Metro is opened to public.
- 1940USS Sailfish (SS-192) recommissioned, originally the USS Squalus.
- 1943Joseph Stalin dissolves the Comintern (or Third International).
- 1974Ma'alot massacre: In an Arab terrorist attack and hostage taking at an Israeli school, a total of 31 people are killed, including 22 schoolchildren.
- 2008California becomes the second U.S. state after Massachusetts in 2004 to legalize same-sex marriage after the state’s own Supreme Court rules a previous ban unconstitutional.
Who were born on May 15?
- 1895Astrid Zachrison, Swedish supercentenarian (d. 2008)
- 1911Max Frisch, Swiss author (d. 1991)
- 1936Ralph Steadman, British cartoonist
- 1940Don Nelson, American professional basketball coach
- 1951Frank Wilczek, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1957Juan José Ibarretxe, Basque statesman
- 1960Rhonda Burchmore, Australian Entertainer
- 1969Emmitt Smith, American football player
- 1985Cristiane, Brazilian footballer
- 1986Adam Moffat, British football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.