May 15: Day of the Week
May 15, 2019 was the 135th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 230 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Francisco’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1602Bartholomew Gosnold becomes the first European to see Cape Cod.
- 1791Maximilien Robespierre proposes the Self-denying Ordinance.
- 1796First Coalition: Napoleon enters Milan in triumph.
- 1849Troops of the Two Sicilies take Palermo and crush the republican government of Sicily
- 1862President Abraham Lincoln signs a bill into law creating the United States Bureau of Agriculture. It is later renamed the United States Department of Agriculture.
- 1911In Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey v. United States, the United States Supreme Court declares Standard Oil to be an “unreasonable” monopoly under the Sherman Antitrust Act and orders the company to be broken up.
- 1940World War II: After fierce fighting, the poorly trained and equipped Dutch troops surrender to Germany, marking the beginning of five years of occupation.
- 1948Following the demise of the British Mandate of Palestine, Egypt, Transjordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia invade Israel thus starting the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
- 1951The Polish cultural attache in Paris, Czesław Miłosz, asks the French government for political asylum.
- 1997The United States government acknowledges the existence of the “Secret War” in Laos and dedicates the Laos Memorial in honor of Hmong and other “Secret War” veterans.
Who were born on May 15?
- 1915Mario Monicelli, Italian director and screenwriter (d. 2010)
- 1923Johnny Walker, Indian actor (d. 2003)
- 1931Ken Venturi, American golfer
- 1940Roger Ailes, American businessman
- 1942Jusuf Kalla, Indonesian politician
- 1956Andreas Loverdos, Greek lawyer and politician
- 1967John Smoltz, baseball player
- 1974Vassilis Kikilias, Greek basketball player
- 1984Sérgio Jimenez, Brazilian racing driver
- 1990Jordan Eberle, Canadian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.