May 16: Day of the Week
May 16, 2019 is the 136th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 229 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 16 Historical Event(s)
- 218Julia Maesa, aunt of the assassinated Caracalla, is banished to her home in Syria by the self-proclaimed emperor Macrinus and declares her 14-year old grandson Elagabalus, emperor of Rome.
- 1811Peninsular War: The allies Spain, Portugal and United Kingdom, defeat the French at the Battle of Albuera.
- 1843The first major wagon train heading for the Pacific Northwest sets out on the Oregon Trail with one thousand pioneers from Elm Grove, Missouri.
- 1874A flood on the Mill River in Massachusetts destroys much of four villages and kills 139 people.
- 1877May 16, 1877 political crisis in France.
- 1891The International Electro-Technical Exhibition opens in Frankfurt, Germany, and will feature the world’s first long distance transmission of high-power, three-phase electrical current (the most common form today).
- 1914The first ever Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final is played. Brooklyn Field Club defeats Brooklyn Celtic 2-1.
- 1919A naval Curtiss aircraft NC-4 commanded by Albert Cushing Read leaves Trepassey, Newfoundland, for Lisbon via the Azores on the first transatlantic flight.
- 1974Josip Broz Tito is re-elected president of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. This time he is elected for life.
- 1983Sudan People’s Liberation Army/Movement rebels against the Sudanese government.
Who were born on May 16?
- 1827Pierre Cuypers, Dutch architect (d. 1921)
- 1916Adriana Caselotti, American actress (d. 1997)
- 1917Juan Rulfo, Mexican novelist (d. 1986)
- 1921S. Neil Fujita, American graphic designer (d. 2010)
- 1925Bobbejaan Schoepen, Belgian entertainer (d. 2010)
- 1947Bob Edwards, American newscaster
- 1955Olga Korbut, Belarussian gymnast
- 1964Edit Berces, Hungarian marathon runner
- 1974Sonny Sandoval, American singer (P.O.D.)
- 1975Tony Kakko, Finnish singer (Sonata Arctica)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.