May 16: Day of the Week
May 16, 2021 is the 136th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 229 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YOITNZILILRQA? Check your answers here: Words with these letters YOITNZILILRQA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 16 Historical Event(s)
- 218Julia Maesa, aunt of the assassinated Caracalla, is banished to her home in Syria by the self-proclaimed emperor Macrinus and declares her 14-year old grandson Elagabalus, emperor of Rome.
- 1204Baldwin IX, Count of Flanders is crowned as the first Emperor of the Latin Empire.
- 1866The U.S. Congress eliminates the half dime coin and replaces it with the five cent piece, or nickel.
- 1874A flood on the Mill River in Massachusetts destroys much of four villages and kills 139 people.
- 1918The Sedition Act of 1918 is passed by the U.S. Congress, making criticism of the government an imprisonable offense.
- 1920In Rome, Pope Benedict XV canonizes Joan of Arc.
- 1948Chaim Weizmann is elected the first President of Israel.
- 1974Josip Broz Tito is re-elected president of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. This time he is elected for life.
- 1983Sudan People’s Liberation Army/Movement rebels against the Sudanese government.
- 2005Kuwait permits women’s suffrage in a 35-23 National Assembly vote.
Who were born on May 16?
- 1611Pope Innocent XI (d. 1689)
- 1891Richard Tauber, Austrian tenor (d. 1948)
- 1919Ramon Margalef, Spanish scientist (d. 2004)
- 1925Bobbejaan Schoepen, Belgian entertainer (d. 2010)
- 1929Claude Morin, French Canadian politician
- 1946Roger Earl, English rock drummer (Savoy Brown, Foghat)
- 1955Debra Winger, American actress
- 1964Boyd Tinsley, American musician (Dave Matthews Band)
- 1966Janet Jackson, American singer
- 1972Derek Mears, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.