May 16: Day of the Week
May 16, 2021 is the 136th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 229 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GSIREEE? Check your answers here: Word solver GSIREEE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 16 Historical Event(s)
- 218Julia Maesa, aunt of the assassinated Caracalla, is banished to her home in Syria by the self-proclaimed emperor Macrinus and declares her 14-year old grandson Elagabalus, emperor of Rome.
- 1532Sir Thomas More resigns as Lord Chancellor of England.
- 1919A naval Curtiss aircraft NC-4 commanded by Albert Cushing Read leaves Trepassey, Newfoundland, for Lisbon via the Azores on the first transatlantic flight.
- 1920In Rome, Pope Benedict XV canonizes Joan of Arc.
- 1953American journalist William N. Oatis is released after serving 22 months of a ten-year prison sentence for espionage in Czechslovakia.
- 1966The Communist Party of China issues the “May 16 Notice”, marking the beginning of the Cultural Revolution.
- 1974Josip Broz Tito is re-elected president of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. This time he is elected for life.
- 1988A report by United States’ Surgeon General C. Everett Koop states that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
- 1991Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom addressed a joint session of the United States Congress. She is the first British monarch to address the U.S. Congress.
- 2005Kuwait permits women’s suffrage in a 35-23 National Assembly vote.
Who were born on May 16?
- 1920Martine Carol, French actress (d. 1967)
- 1931Hana Brady, Polish Holocaust victim (d. 1944)
- 1945Nicky Chinn, English songwriter (Sweet, Suzi Quatro)
- 1946Roger Earl, English rock drummer (Savoy Brown, Foghat)
- 1953Kitanoumi Toshimitsu, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 55th Yokozuna
- 1955Jack Morris, American baseball player
- 1964Edit Berces, Hungarian marathon runner
- 1964John Salley, American basketball player
- 1981Jim Sturgess, English actor
- 1982Łukasz Kubot, Polish tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.