May 16: Day of the Week
May 16, 2019 is the 136th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 229 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1532Sir Thomas More resigns as Lord Chancellor of England.
- 1843The first major wagon train heading for the Pacific Northwest sets out on the Oregon Trail with one thousand pioneers from Elm Grove, Missouri.
- 1866The U.S. Congress eliminates the half dime coin and replaces it with the five cent piece, or nickel.
- 1868President Andrew Johnson is acquitted in his impeachment trial by one vote in the United States Senate.
- 1874A flood on the Mill River in Massachusetts destroys much of four villages and kills 139 people.
- 1914The first ever Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final is played. Brooklyn Field Club defeats Brooklyn Celtic 2-1.
- 1918The Sedition Act of 1918 is passed by the U.S. Congress, making criticism of the government an imprisonable offense.
- 1919A naval Curtiss aircraft NC-4 commanded by Albert Cushing Read leaves Trepassey, Newfoundland, for Lisbon via the Azores on the first transatlantic flight.
- 1966The Communist Party of China issues the “May 16 Notice”, marking the beginning of the Cultural Revolution.
- 1974Josip Broz Tito is re-elected president of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. This time he is elected for life.
Who were born on May 16?
- 1827Pierre Cuypers, Dutch architect (d. 1921)
- 1906Margret Rey, author and illustrator (d. 1996)
- 1910Olga Berggolts, Russian poet (d. 1975)
- 1929Claude Morin, French Canadian politician
- 1950J. Georg Bednorz, German physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1955Debra Winger, American actress
- 1963Mercedes Echerer, Austrian actress and politician
- 1964John Salley, American basketball player
- 1974Sonny Sandoval, American singer (P.O.D.)
- 1975Tony Kakko, Finnish singer (Sonata Arctica)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.