May 16: Day of the Week
May 16, 2019 was the 136th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 229 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 16 Historical Event(s)
- 218Julia Maesa, aunt of the assassinated Caracalla, is banished to her home in Syria by the self-proclaimed emperor Macrinus and declares her 14-year old grandson Elagabalus, emperor of Rome.
- 1532Sir Thomas More resigns as Lord Chancellor of England.
- 1822Greek War of Independence: The Turks capture the Greek town of Souli.
- 1914The first ever Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final is played. Brooklyn Field Club defeats Brooklyn Celtic 2-1.
- 1919A naval Curtiss aircraft NC-4 commanded by Albert Cushing Read leaves Trepassey, Newfoundland, for Lisbon via the Azores on the first transatlantic flight.
- 1943Holocaust: The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising ends.
- 1951The first regularly scheduled transatlantic flights begin between Idlewild Airport (now John F Kennedy International Airport) in New York City and Heathrow Airport in London, operated by El Al Israel Airlines.
- 1960Theodore Maiman operates the first optical laser, at Hughes Research Laboratories in Malibu, California.
- 1983Sudan People’s Liberation Army/Movement rebels against the Sudanese government.
- 1991Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom addressed a joint session of the United States Congress. She is the first British monarch to address the U.S. Congress.
Who were born on May 16?
- 1897Zvi Sliternik, Israeli entomologist (d. 1994)
- 1921S. Neil Fujita, American graphic designer (d. 2010)
- 1923Merton Miller, American economist, Nobel laureate (d. 2000)
- 1923Peter Underwood, English parapsychologist
- 1965Krist Novoselic, American musician and author
- 1969Tracey Gold, American actress
- 1973Jason Acuña, American television personality
- 1973Tori Spelling, American actress
- 1983Daniel Kerr, Australian football player (AFL)
- 1990Thomas Sangster, English actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.