May 16: Day of the Week
May 16, 2021 was the 136th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 229 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OZBOSWUVNEQEV? Check your answers here: Word finder OZBOSWUVNEQEV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1532Sir Thomas More resigns as Lord Chancellor of England.
- 1771The Battle of Alamance, a pre-American Revolutionary War battle between local militia and a group of rebels called The “Regulators”, occurs in present-day Alamance County, North Carolina.
- 1843The first major wagon train heading for the Pacific Northwest sets out on the Oregon Trail with one thousand pioneers from Elm Grove, Missouri.
- 1877May 16, 1877 political crisis in France.
- 1919A naval Curtiss aircraft NC-4 commanded by Albert Cushing Read leaves Trepassey, Newfoundland, for Lisbon via the Azores on the first transatlantic flight.
- 1920In Rome, Pope Benedict XV canonizes Joan of Arc.
- 1929In Hollywood, California, the first Academy Awards are handed out.
- 1960Theodore Maiman operates the first optical laser, at Hughes Research Laboratories in Malibu, California.
- 1969Venera program: Venera 5, a Soviet spaceprobe, lands on Venus.
- 1991Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom addressed a joint session of the United States Congress. She is the first British monarch to address the U.S. Congress.
Who were born on May 16?
- 1917James C. Murray, American politician (d. 1999)
- 1929Adrienne Rich, American writer
- 1929Claude Morin, French Canadian politician
- 1946Roger Earl, English rock drummer (Savoy Brown, Foghat)
- 1961Charles Wright, American professional wrestler
- 1971Rachel Goswell, English singer and songwriter (Slowdive, Mojave 3)
- 1974Sonny Sandoval, American singer (P.O.D.)
- 1978Lionel Scaloni, Argentine footballer
- 1983Daniel Kerr, Australian football player (AFL)
- 1985Café, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.