May 19: Day of the Week
May 19, 2020 was the 140th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 226 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Miranda’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1535French explorer Jacques Cartier sets sail on his second voyage to North America with three ships, 110 men, and Chief Donnacona’s two sons (whom Cartier had kidnapped during his first voyage).
- 1643Thirty Years’ War: French forces under the duc d'Enghien decisively defeat Spanish forces at the Battle of Rocroi, marking the symbolic end of Spain as a dominant land power.
- 1649An Act of Parliament declaring England a Commonwealth is passed by the Long Parliament. England would be a republic for the next eleven years.
- 1802Napoleon Bonaparte founds the Legion of Honour.
- 1848Mexican-American War: Mexico ratifies the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo thus ending the war and ceding California, Nevada, Utah and parts of four other modern-day U.S. states to the United States for US$15 million.
- 1921The U.S. Congress passes the Emergency Quota Act establishing national quotas on immigration.
- 1961Venera program: Venera 1 becomes the first man-made object to fly-by another planet by passing Venus (the probe had lost contact with Earth a month earlier and did not send back any data).
- 1962A birthday salute to U.S. President John F. Kennedy takes place at Madison Square Garden, New York City. The highlight is Marilyn Monroe’s rendition of “Happy Birthday”.
- 1971Mars probe program: Mars 2 is launched by the Soviet Union.
- 2007President of Romania Traian Băsescu survives an impeachment referendum and returns to office from suspension.
Who were born on May 19?
- 1773Arthur Aikin, English mineralogist (d. 1854)
- 1870Albert Fish, American serial killer (d. 1936)
- 1908Percy Williams, Canadian athlete (d. 1982)
- 1926Peter Zadek, German theatre director (d. 2009)
- 1939Livio Berruti, Italian athlete
- 1947Paul Brady, Northern Ireland singer/songwriter
- 1963Filippo Galli, Italian footballer
- 1970Jason Gray-Stanford, Canadian actor
- 1973Dario Franchitti, Scottish race car driver
- 1984Marcedes Lewis, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.