May 19: Day of the Week
May 19, 2020 was the 140th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 226 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GUHJTTGEOUUJ? Check your answers here: Unscramble words GUHJTTGEOUUJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1535French explorer Jacques Cartier sets sail on his second voyage to North America with three ships, 110 men, and Chief Donnacona’s two sons (whom Cartier had kidnapped during his first voyage).
- 1568Queen Elizabeth I of England orders the arrest of Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 1649An Act of Parliament declaring England a Commonwealth is passed by the Long Parliament. England would be a republic for the next eleven years.
- 1780New England’s Dark Day: A combination of thick smoke and heavy cloud cover causes complete darkness to fall on Eastern Canada and the New England area of the United States at 10:30 A.M.
- 1828U.S. President John Quincy Adams signs the Tariff of 1828 into law, protecting wool manufacturers in the United States.
- 1897Oscar Wilde is released from Reading Gaol Prison.
- 1911Parks Canada, the world’s first national park service, is established as the Dominion Parks Branch under the Department of the Interior.
- 1921The U.S. Congress passes the Emergency Quota Act establishing national quotas on immigration.
- 1943World War II: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt set Monday, May 1, 1944 as the date for the Normandy landings (“D-Day”). It would later be delayed over a month due to bad weather.
- 2007President of Romania Traian Băsescu survives an impeachment referendum and returns to office from suspension.
Who were born on May 19?
- 1928Colin Chapman, British car designer (d. 1982)
- 1928Gil McDougald, American baseball player (d. 2010)
- 1948Grace Jones, Jamaican singer and actress
- 1951Dick Slater, American professional wrestler
- 1963Yazz, English singer
- 1975Jonas Renkse, Swedish musician
- 1976Kevin Garnett, American basketball player
- 1978Kim Zolciak, American reality show star and singer
- 1982Kevin Amankwaah, English footballer
- 1988Lily Cole, English model and actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.