May 2: Day of the Week
May 2, 2020 is the 123rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 243 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Wade’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1335Otto the Merry, Duke of Austria, becomes Duke of Carinthia.
- 1559John Knox returns from exile to Scotland to become the leader of the beginning Scottish Reformation.
- 1611King James Bible is published for the first time in London, England, by printer Robert Barker.
- 1808Outbreak of the Peninsular War: The people of Madrid rise up in rebellion against French occupation. Francisco de Goya later memorializes this event in his painting The Second of May 1808.
- 1952The world’s first ever jet airliner, the De Havilland Comet 1 makes its maiden flight, from London to Johannesburg.
- 1964First ascent of Shishapangma the fourteenth highest mountain in the world and the lowest of the Eight-thousanders.
- 1982Falklands War: The British nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror sinks the Argentine cruiser ARA General Belgrano.
- 1989Hungary begins dismantling its border fence with Austria, which allows a number of East Germans to defect.
- 1998The European Central Bank is founded in Brussels in order to define and execute the European Union’s monetary policy.
- 2011The 2011 E. coli O104:H4 outbreak strikes Europe, mostly in Germany, leaving more than 30 people dead and many others sick from the bacteria outbreak.
Who were born on May 2?
- 1451René II, Duke of Lorraine (d. 1508)
- 1894Joseph Henry Woodger, British theoretical biologist (d. 1981)
- 1925Roscoe Lee Browne, American actor (d. 2007)
- 1939Sumio Iijima, Japanese physicist
- 1967Mika Brzezinski, American journalist
- 1968Hikaru Midorikawa, Japanese voice actor
- 1974Garðar Thór Cortes, Icelandic tenor
- 1977Jenna von Oy, American actress
- 1980Troy Murphy, American basketball player
- 1985Sarah Hughes, American figure skater
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.