May 2: Day of the Week
May 2, 2019 was the 122nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 243 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1808Outbreak of the Peninsular War: The people of Madrid rise up in rebellion against French occupation. Francisco de Goya later memorializes this event in his painting The Second of May 1808.
- 1866Peruvian defenders fight off Spanish fleet at the Battle of Callao.
- 1879The Spanish Socialist Worker‘s Party is founded in Casa Labra Pub (city of Madrid) by the historical Spanish workers’leader Pablo Iglesias.
- 1918General Motors acquires the Chevrolet Motor Company of Delaware.
- 1932Comedian Jack Benny’s radio show airs for the first time.
- 1945World War II: The US 82nd Airborne Division liberates Wöbbelin concentration camp finding 1000 dead inmates, most starved to death.
- 1963Berthold Seliger launches a rocket with three stages and a maximum flight altitude of more than 100 kilometres near Cuxhaven. It is the only sounding rocket developed in Germany.
- 1969The British ocean liner Queen Elizabeth 2 departs on her maiden voyage to New York City.
- 1972In the early morning hours a fire broke out at the Sunshine mine located between Kellogg and Wallace, ID, killing 91 workers.
- 1995During the Croatian War of Independence, Serb forces fire cluster bombs at Zagreb, killing 7 and wounding over 175 civilians.
Who were born on May 2?
- 1451René II, Duke of Lorraine (d. 1508)
- 1935Luis Suárez Miramontes, Spanish footballer and manager
- 1937Lorenzo Music, American actor (d. 2001)
- 1941Clay Carroll, American baseball player
- 1954Angela Bofill, American singer songwriter
- 1979Roman Lyashenko, Russian ice hockey player (d. 2003)
- 1980Brad Richards, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1981Robert Buckley, American actor
- 1985Ashley Harkleroad, American tennis player
- 1986Emily Hart, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.