May 20: Day of the Week
May 20, 2019 is the 140th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 225 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1497John Cabot sets sail from Bristol, England, on his ship Ship looking for a route to the west (other documents give a May 2 date).
- 1631The city of Magdeburg in Germany is seized by forces of the Holy Roman Empire and most of its inhabitants massacred, in one of the bloodiest incidents of the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1873Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive a U.S. patent for blue jeans with copper rivets.
- 1875Signing of the Metre Convention by 17 nations leading to the establishment of the International System of Units.
- 1883Krakatoa begins to erupt. The volcano’s final and most notable explosion occurs on August 26.
- 1940Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz.
- 1969The Battle of Hamburger Hill in Vietnam ends.
- 1985Radio Martí, part of the Voice of America service, begins broadcasting to Cuba.
- 1989The Chinese authorities declare martial law in the face of pro-democracy demonstrations, setting the scene for the Tiananmen Square massacre.
- 1990The first post-Communist presidential and parliamentary elections are held in Romania.
Who were born on May 20?
- 1706Seth Pomeroy, American gunsmith and soldier (d. 1777)
- 1737William Petty Fitzmaurice, British statesman (d. 1805)
- 1851Emile Berliner, German-born recording pioneer (d. 1929)
- 1908James Stewart, American actor (d. 1997)
- 1944Boudewijn de Groot, Dutch singer
- 1951Mike Crapo, American politician
- 1952Roger Milla, Cameroonian footballer
- 1967Ramzi Yousef, Kuwaiti-born Pakistani terrorist
- 1973Elsa Lunghini, French singer and actress
- 1979Jayson Werth, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.