May 20: Day of the Week
May 20, 2019 was the 140th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 225 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
May 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1813Napoleon Bonaparte leads his French troops into the Battle of Bautzen in Saxony, Germany, against the combined armies of Russia and Prussia. The battle ends the next day with a French victory.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Ware Bottom Church – in the Virginia Bermuda Hundred Campaign, 10,000 troops fight in this Confederate victory.
- 1873Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive a U.S. patent for blue jeans with copper rivets.
- 1875Signing of the Metre Convention by 17 nations leading to the establishment of the International System of Units.
- 1882The Triple Alliance between Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy is formed.
- 1883Krakatoa begins to erupt. The volcano’s final and most notable explosion occurs on August 26.
- 1884Dinuzulu kaCetshwayo becomes the king of the Zulu Nation.
- 1896The six ton chandelier of the Palais Garnier falls on the crowd below resulting in the death of one and the injury of many others.
- 1969The Battle of Hamburger Hill in Vietnam ends.
- 1996Gay rights: The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Romer v. Evans against a law that would have prevented any city, town or county in the state of Colorado from taking any legislative, executive, or judicial action to protect the rights of gays and lesbians.
Who were born on May 20?
- 1882Sigrid Undset, Norwegian author, Nobel laureate (d. 1949)
- 1917Guy Favreau, French Canadian lawyer (d. 1967)
- 1931Ken Boyer, American baseball player (d. 1982)
- 1944Dietrich Mateschitz, Austrian businessman
- 1946Cher, American singer & actress
- 1956Dean Butler, American actor
- 1981Mark Winterbottom, Australian racing driver
- 1982Imran Farhat, Pakistani cricketer
- 1984Mauro, Brazilian footballer
- 1984Patrick Ewing, Jr., American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.