May 20: Day of the Week
May 20, 2019 was the 140th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 225 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Cecilia’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1497John Cabot sets sail from Bristol, England, on his ship Ship looking for a route to the west (other documents give a May 2 date).
- 1498Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama arrives at Kozhikode (previously known as Calicut), India.
- 1861American Civil War: The state of Kentucky proclaims its neutrality, which will last until September 3 when Confederate forces enter the state. Meanwhile, the State of North Carolina secedes from the Union.
- 1875Signing of the Metre Convention by 17 nations leading to the establishment of the International System of Units.
- 1884Dinuzulu kaCetshwayo becomes the king of the Zulu Nation.
- 1941World War II: Battle of Crete – German paratroops invade Crete.
- 1948Chiang Kai-shek elected to be the first President of the Republic of China.
- 1965PIA Flight 705, a Pakistan International Airlines Boeing 720 – 040 B, crashes while descending to land at Cairo International Airport, killing 119 of the 125 passengers and crew.
- 1989The Chinese authorities declare martial law in the face of pro-democracy demonstrations, setting the scene for the Tiananmen Square massacre.
- 2002The independence of East Timor is recognized by Portugal, formally ending 23 years of Indonesian rule and 3 years of provisional UN administration (Portugal itself is the former colonizer of East Timor until 1976).
Who were born on May 20?
- 1726Francis Cotes, English painter (d. 1770)
- 1737William Petty Fitzmaurice, British statesman (d. 1805)
- 1911Gardner Fox, American writer (d. 1986)
- 1925Chester Ludgin, American baritone (d. 2003)
- 1938Marinella, Greek singer and actress
- 1951Mike Crapo, American politician
- 1970Terrell Brandon, American basketball player
- 1978Pavla Hamáčková-Rybová, Czech athlete
- 1981Morgan Knabe, Canadian swimmer
- 1985Chris Froome, British cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.