May 20: Day of the Week
May 20, 2020 is the 141st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 225 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Joseph’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 20 Historical Event(s)
- 685The Battle of Dun Nechtain is fought between a Pictish army under King Bridei III and the invading Northumbrians under King Ecgfrith, who are decisively defeated.
- 1217The Second Battle of Lincoln is fought near Lincoln, England, resulting in the defeat of Prince Louis of France by William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke.
- 1498Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama arrives at Kozhikode (previously known as Calicut), India.
- 1861American Civil War: The state of Kentucky proclaims its neutrality, which will last until September 3 when Confederate forces enter the state. Meanwhile, the State of North Carolina secedes from the Union.
- 1883Krakatoa begins to erupt. The volcano’s final and most notable explosion occurs on August 26.
- 1908Budi Utomo organization is founded in Dutch East Indies, beginning the Indonesian National Awakening.
- 1916The Saturday Evening Post publishes its first cover with a Norman Rockwell painting (Boy with Baby Carriage).
- 1927Treaty of Jedda: the United Kingdom recognizes the sovereignty of King Ibn Saud in the Kingdoms of Hejaz and Nejd, which later merge to become the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 1932Amelia Earhart takes off from Newfoundland to begin the world’s first solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean by a female pilot, landing in Ireland the next day.
- 1996Gay rights: The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Romer v. Evans against a law that would have prevented any city, town or county in the state of Colorado from taking any legislative, executive, or judicial action to protect the rights of gays and lesbians.
Who were born on May 20?
- 1315Bonne of Luxembourg, wife of John II of France (d. 1349)
- 1776Simon Fraser, Canadian explorer (d.1862)
- 1917Guy Favreau, French Canadian lawyer (d. 1967)
- 1932Bob Florence, American jazz pianist, composer, arranger (d. 2008)
- 1938Marinella, Greek singer and actress
- 1942Carlos Hathcock, American Marine Corps sniper (d. 1999)
- 1944Joe Cocker, British singer
- 1963David Wells, American baseball player
- 1965Ted Allen, American television host
- 1976Tomoya Satozaki, Japanese baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.