May 20: Day of the Week
May 20, 2021 was the 140th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 225 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BIOEIYC? Check your answers here: Unscramble words BIOEIYC. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1217The Second Battle of Lincoln is fought near Lincoln, England, resulting in the defeat of Prince Louis of France by William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke.
- 1497John Cabot sets sail from Bristol, England, on his ship Ship looking for a route to the west (other documents give a May 2 date).
- 1813Napoleon Bonaparte leads his French troops into the Battle of Bautzen in Saxony, Germany, against the combined armies of Russia and Prussia. The battle ends the next day with a French victory.
- 1873Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive a U.S. patent for blue jeans with copper rivets.
- 1916The Saturday Evening Post publishes its first cover with a Norman Rockwell painting (Boy with Baby Carriage).
- 1949In the United States, the Armed Forces Security Agency, the predecessor to the National Security Agency, is established.
- 1969The Battle of Hamburger Hill in Vietnam ends.
- 1989The Chinese authorities declare martial law in the face of pro-democracy demonstrations, setting the scene for the Tiananmen Square massacre.
- 1990The first post-Communist presidential and parliamentary elections are held in Romania.
- 1996Gay rights: The Supreme Court of the United States rules in Romer v. Evans against a law that would have prevented any city, town or county in the state of Colorado from taking any legislative, executive, or judicial action to protect the rights of gays and lesbians.
Who were born on May 20?
- 1851Emile Berliner, German-born recording pioneer (d. 1929)
- 1914Corneliu Coposu, Romanian politician (d. 1995)
- 1920John Cruickshank, Scottish airman, Victoria Cross recipient
- 1931Ken Boyer, American baseball player (d. 1982)
- 1950Reinaldo Merlo, Argentine footballer
- 1957Yoshihiko Noda, Prime Minister of Japan
- 1961Clive Allen, English footballer
- 1962Mike Jeffries, American soccer coach
- 1971Tony Stewart, American race car driver
- 1984Kenny Vasoli, American singer and bassist (The Starting Line)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.