May 20: Day of the Week
May 20, 2019 is the 140th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 225 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1498Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama arrives at Kozhikode (previously known as Calicut), India.
- 1802By the Law of 20 May 1802, Napoleon Bonaparte reinstates slavery in the French colonies, revoking its abolition in the French Revolution
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Ware Bottom Church – in the Virginia Bermuda Hundred Campaign, 10,000 troops fight in this Confederate victory.
- 1908Budi Utomo organization is founded in Dutch East Indies, beginning the Indonesian National Awakening.
- 1920Montreal, Quebec radio station XWA broadcasts the first regularly scheduled radio programming in North America.
- 1927Treaty of Jedda: the United Kingdom recognizes the sovereignty of King Ibn Saud in the Kingdoms of Hejaz and Nejd, which later merge to become the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 1940Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz.
- 1949In the United States, the Armed Forces Security Agency, the predecessor to the National Security Agency, is established.
- 1980In a referendum in Quebec, the population rejects by a 60% vote the proposal from its government to move towards independence from Canada.
- 1990The first post-Communist presidential and parliamentary elections are held in Romania.
Who were born on May 20?
- 1799Honoré de Balzac, French novelist (d. 1850)
- 1917Bergur Sigurbjörnsson, Icelandic politician (d. 2005)
- 1917Guy Favreau, French Canadian lawyer (d. 1967)
- 1926John Lucarotti, English-born Canadian TV writer (d. 1994)
- 1942Carlos Hathcock, American Marine Corps sniper (d. 1999)
- 1945Vladimiro Montesinos, Peruvian politician
- 1975Isaac Gálvez, Spanish cyclist (d. 2006)
- 1976Tomoya Satozaki, Japanese baseball player
- 1984Mauro, Brazilian footballer
- 1986Jiřina Ptáčníková, Czech pole vaulter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.