May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2019 was the 143rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Stanley’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1430Siege of Compiègne: Joan of Arc is captured by the Burgundians while leading an army to relieve Compiègne.
- 1609Official ratification of the Second Charter of Virginia takes place.
- 1618The Second Defenestration of Prague precipitates the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1701After being convicted of piracy and of murdering William Moore, Captain William Kidd is hanged in London.
- 1706Battle of Ramillies: John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, defeats a French army under Marshal Villeroi.
- 1844Declaration of the Báb: a merchant of Shiraz announces that he is a Prophet and founds a religious movement that would later be brutally crushed by the Persian government. He is considered to be a forerunner of the Bahá'í Faith, and Bahá'ís celebrate the day as a holy day.
- 1915World War I: Italy joins the Allies after they declare war on Austria-Hungary.
- 1951Tibetans sign the Seventeen Point Agreement for the Peaceful Liberation of Tibet with the People’s Republic of China.
- 1967Egypt closes the Straits of Tiran and blockades the port of Eilat at the northern end of the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.
- 2002The “55 parties” clause of the Kyoto protocol is reached after its ratification by Iceland.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1855Isabella Ford, English feminist and union activist (d. 1924)
- 1908Hélène Boucher, French aviatrix (d. 1934)
- 1933Joan Collins, English actress
- 1943Alan Walden, American rock music manager and promoter
- 1956Albert Voorn, Dutch equestrian
- 1965Athanasios Skourtopoulos, Greek basketball player and coach
- 1968Guinevere Turner, American actress
- 1970Bryan Herta, American race car driver
- 1974Mónica Naranjo, Spanish singer
- 1980Gary Brackett, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.