May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2022 was the 143rd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IYKZBWEOPOM? Check your answers here: Unscramble words IYKZBWEOPOM. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1498Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake in Florence, Italy, on the orders of Pope Alexander VI.
- 1568The Netherlands declare their independence from Spain.
- 1805Napoleon Bonaparte is crowned King of Italy with the Iron Crown of Lombardy in the Cathedral of Milan.
- 1846Mexican-American War: President Mariano Paredes of Mexico unofficially declares war on the United States.
- 1907The unicameral Parliament of Finland gathers for its first plenary session.
- 1945World War II: The Flensburg government under Reichspräsident Karl Dönitz is dissolved when its members are captured and arrested by British forces at Flensburg in Northern Germany.
- 1995Oklahoma City bombing: In Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, the remains of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building are imploded.
- 1995The first version of the Java programming language is released.
- 2006Alaskan stratovolcano Mount Cleveland erupts.
- 2008The International Court of Justice (ICJ) awards Middle Rocks to Malaysia and Pedra Branca (Pulau Batu Puteh) to Singapore, ending a 29-year territorial dispute between the two countries.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1848Otto Lilienthal, German aviation pioneer (d. 1896)
- 1879Elizabeth Gunn, New Zealand paediatrician (d. 1963)
- 1900Hans Frank, German lawyer and Nazi official (d. 1946)
- 1917Edward Norton Lorenz, American mathematician and meteorologist (d. 2008)
- 1936Charles Kimbrough, American actor
- 1955Luka Bloom, Irish singer/songwriter
- 1961Karen Duffy, American actress
- 1963Gregg Hughes, American radio personality (The Opie and Anthony Show)
- 1971George Osborne, British Chancellor of the Exchequer
- 1974Jewel, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.