May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2020 was the 144th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OUWFGADMXJS? Check your answers here: Word finder OUWFGADMXJS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1498Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake in Florence, Italy, on the orders of Pope Alexander VI.
- 1568The Netherlands declare their independence from Spain.
- 1788South Carolina ratifies the Constitution as the 8th American state.
- 1813South American independence leader Simón Bolívar enters Mérida, leading the invasion of Venezuela, and is proclaimed El Libertador (“The Liberator”).
- 1873The Canadian Parliament establishes the North-West Mounted Police, the forerunner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- 1934The Auto-Lite Strike culminates in the “Battle of Toledo”, a five-day melée between 1,300 troops of the Ohio National Guard and 6,000 picketers.
- 1948Thomas C. Wasson, US Consul-General assassinated in Jerusalem.
- 1967Egypt closes the Straits of Tiran and blockades the port of Eilat at the northern end of the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.
- 2002The “55 parties” clause of the Kyoto protocol is reached after its ratification by Iceland.
- 2008The International Court of Justice (ICJ) awards Middle Rocks to Malaysia and Pedra Branca (Pulau Batu Puteh) to Singapore, ending a 29-year territorial dispute between the two countries.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1052King Philip I of France (d. 1108)
- 1890Herbert Marshall, English actor (d. 1966)
- 1908Hélène Boucher, French aviatrix (d. 1934)
- 1910Scatman Crothers, American actor and musician (d. 1986)
- 1934Robert Moog, American inventor (d. 2005)
- 1943Vicky Moscholiou, Greek singer (d. 2005)
- 1946H. Paul Shuch, American SETI scientist
- 1970Bryan Herta, American race car driver
- 1972Rubens Barrichello, Brazilian racing driver
- 1981Gwenno Saunders, Welsh dancer and singer (The Pipettes)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.