May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2020 was the 144th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Olive’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1498Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake in Florence, Italy, on the orders of Pope Alexander VI.
- 1618The Second Defenestration of Prague precipitates the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1701After being convicted of piracy and of murdering William Moore, Captain William Kidd is hanged in London.
- 1829Accordion patent granted to Cyrill Demian in Vienna.
- 1934The Auto-Lite Strike culminates in the “Battle of Toledo”, a five-day melée between 1,300 troops of the Ohio National Guard and 6,000 picketers.
- 1939The U.S. Navy submarine USS Squalus sinks off the coast of New Hampshire during a test dive, causing the death of 24 sailors and two civilian technicians. The remaining 32 sailors and one civilian naval architect are rescued the following day.
- 1995Oklahoma City bombing: In Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, the remains of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building are imploded.
- 1998The Good Friday Agreement is accepted in a referendum in Northern Ireland with 75% voting yes.
- 2002The “55 parties” clause of the Kyoto protocol is reached after its ratification by Iceland.
- 2004Part of Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport’s Terminal 2E collapses, killing four people and injuring three others.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1606Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz, Spanish polymath (d. 1682)
- 1883Douglas Fairbanks, American actor (d. 1939)
- 1896Felix Martin Julius Steiner, German Waffen-SS officer (d. 1966)
- 1900Hans Frank, German lawyer and Nazi official (d. 1946)
- 1911Paul Mayer, German Roman Catholic Cardinal (d. 2010)
- 1958François Feldman, French singer
- 1974Jewel, American singer
- 1974Ken Jennings, American game show contestant
- 1974Mónica Naranjo, Spanish singer
- 1978Mike González, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.