May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2020 is the 144th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jeanne’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1533The marriage of King Henry VIII to Catherine of Aragon is declared null and void.
- 1568The Netherlands declare their independence from Spain.
- 1706Battle of Ramillies: John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, defeats a French army under Marshal Villeroi.
- 1900American Civil War: Sergeant William Harvey Carney becomes the first African American to be awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism in the Assault on the Battery Wagner in 1863.
- 1939The U.S. Navy submarine USS Squalus sinks off the coast of New Hampshire during a test dive, causing the death of 24 sailors and two civilian technicians. The remaining 32 sailors and one civilian naval architect are rescued the following day.
- 1945World War II: The Flensburg government under Reichspräsident Karl Dönitz is dissolved when its members are captured and arrested by British forces at Flensburg in Northern Germany.
- 1948Thomas C. Wasson, US Consul-General assassinated in Jerusalem.
- 1949The Federal Republic of Germany is established and the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany is proclaimed.
- 1967Egypt closes the Straits of Tiran and blockades the port of Eilat at the northern end of the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.
- 2008The International Court of Justice (ICJ) awards Middle Rocks to Malaysia and Pedra Branca (Pulau Batu Puteh) to Singapore, ending a 29-year territorial dispute between the two countries.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1790Jules Dumont d'Urville, French explorer (d. 1842)
- 1921James Blish, American author (d. 1975)
- 1925Joshua Lederberg, American molecular biologist, Nobel laureate (d. 2008)
- 1943Alan Walden, American rock music manager and promoter
- 1946Frederik de Groot, Dutch actor
- 1952Anne-Marie David, French singer
- 1956Albert Voorn, Dutch equestrian
- 1977Annabel Kosten, Dutch freestyle swimmer
- 1978Scott Raynor, American drummer (blink-182)
- 1986Ruben Zadkovich, Australian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.