May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2018 was the 143rd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Gemini horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1430Siege of Compiègne: Joan of Arc is captured by the Burgundians while leading an army to relieve Compiègne.
- 1788South Carolina ratifies the Constitution as the 8th American state.
- 1805Napoleon Bonaparte is crowned King of Italy with the Iron Crown of Lombardy in the Cathedral of Milan.
- 1844Declaration of the Báb: a merchant of Shiraz announces that he is a Prophet and founds a religious movement that would later be brutally crushed by the Persian government. He is considered to be a forerunner of the Bahá'í Faith, and Bahá'ís celebrate the day as a holy day.
- 1846Mexican-American War: President Mariano Paredes of Mexico unofficially declares war on the United States.
- 1900American Civil War: Sergeant William Harvey Carney becomes the first African American to be awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism in the Assault on the Battery Wagner in 1863.
- 1907The unicameral Parliament of Finland gathers for its first plenary session.
- 1945World War II: The Flensburg government under Reichspräsident Karl Dönitz is dissolved when its members are captured and arrested by British forces at Flensburg in Northern Germany.
- 1949The Federal Republic of Germany is established and the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany is proclaimed.
- 1951Tibetans sign the Seventeen Point Agreement for the Peaceful Liberation of Tibet with the People’s Republic of China.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1898Josef Terboven, German Nazi official (d. 1945)
- 1910Artie Shaw, American clarinetist and bandleader (d. 2004)
- 1917Edward Norton Lorenz, American mathematician and meteorologist (d. 2008)
- 1939Jack McCarthy, American poet
- 1943Vicky Moscholiou, Greek singer (d. 2005)
- 1960Linden Ashby, American actor
- 1970Nanette Burstein, American director/producer
- 1975Kim Sung-soo, South Korean actor
- 1979Brian Campbell, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1982Cyrill Gloor, Swiss footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.