May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2019 was the 143rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1430Siege of Compiègne: Joan of Arc is captured by the Burgundians while leading an army to relieve Compiègne.
- 1498Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake in Florence, Italy, on the orders of Pope Alexander VI.
- 1568The Netherlands declare their independence from Spain.
- 1618The Second Defenestration of Prague precipitates the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1701After being convicted of piracy and of murdering William Moore, Captain William Kidd is hanged in London.
- 1945World War II: Heinrich Himmler, the head of the SS, commits suicide while in Allied custody.
- 1945World War II: The Flensburg government under Reichspräsident Karl Dönitz is dissolved when its members are captured and arrested by British forces at Flensburg in Northern Germany.
- 1967Egypt closes the Straits of Tiran and blockades the port of Eilat at the northern end of the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.
- 1990Jordan Mack was born.
- 1998The Good Friday Agreement is accepted in a referendum in Northern Ireland with 75% voting yes.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1891Pär Lagerkvist, Swedish writer, Nobel laureate (d. 1974)
- 1893Ulysses S. Grant IV, American geologist and paleontologist (d. 1977)
- 1895Billy Smith, English footballer (d. 1956)
- 1896Felix Martin Julius Steiner, German Waffen-SS officer (d. 1966)
- 1898Josef Terboven, German Nazi official (d. 1945)
- 1912Jean Françaix, French composer (d. 1997)
- 1931Barbara Barrie, American actress
- 1947Ann Hui, Hong Kong film director
- 1953Dick Stellingwerf, Dutch politician
- 1973Jacopo Gianninoto, Italian musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.