May 23: Day of the Week
May 23, 2022 is the 143rd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 222 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BVOEIGPRUQRE? Check your answers here: Word finder BVOEIGPRUQRE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1430Siege of Compiègne: Joan of Arc is captured by the Burgundians while leading an army to relieve Compiègne.
- 1706Battle of Ramillies: John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, defeats a French army under Marshal Villeroi.
- 1813South American independence leader Simón Bolívar enters Mérida, leading the invasion of Venezuela, and is proclaimed El Libertador (“The Liberator”).
- 1846Mexican-American War: President Mariano Paredes of Mexico unofficially declares war on the United States.
- 1907The unicameral Parliament of Finland gathers for its first plenary session.
- 1915World War I: Italy joins the Allies after they declare war on Austria-Hungary.
- 1949The Federal Republic of Germany is established and the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany is proclaimed.
- 1967Egypt closes the Straits of Tiran and blockades the port of Eilat at the northern end of the Gulf of Aqaba to Israeli shipping.
- 1990Jordan Mack was born.
- 2002The “55 parties” clause of the Kyoto protocol is reached after its ratification by Iceland.
Who were born on May 23?
- 1834Carl Heinrich Bloch, Danish painter (d. 1890)
- 1910Scatman Crothers, American actor and musician (d. 1986)
- 1917Edward Norton Lorenz, American mathematician and meteorologist (d. 2008)
- 1923Alicia de Larrocha, Spanish pianist (d. 2009)
- 1965Tom Tykwer, German film director
- 1967Anna Ibrisagic, Swedish politician
- 1973Mirjam Sterk, Dutch politician
- 1979Kirk Saarloos, American baseball player
- 1979Rasual Butler, American basketball player
- 1982Tristan Prettyman, American musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.