May 24: Day of the Week
May 24, 2021 is the 144th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 221 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KSJFHVIYILIA? Check your answers here: Word search KSJFHVIYILIA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1595Nomenclator of Leiden University Library appears, the first printed catalog of an institutional library.
- 1798The Irish Rebellion of 1798 led by the United Irishmen against British rule begins.
- 1822Battle of Pichincha: Antonio José de Sucre secures the independence of the Presidency of Quito.
- 1883The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City is opened to traffic after 14 years of construction.
- 1956The first Eurovision Song Contest is held in Lugano, Switzerland
- 1961American civil rights movement: Freedom Riders are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi for “disturbing the peace” after disembarking from their bus.
- 1970The drilling of the Kola Superdeep Borehole begins in the Soviet Union.
- 1973Earl Jellicoe resigns as Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords.
- 1982Liberation of Khorramshahr: Iranians recapture of the port city of Khorramshahr from the Iraqis during the Iran–Iraq War.
- 2000Israeli troops withdraw from southern Lebanon after 22 years of occupation.
Who were born on May 24?
- 15 BCJulius Caesar Germanicus, Roman commander (d. 19)
- 1671Gian Gastone de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (d. 1737)
- 1900Eduardo De Filippo, Italian actor and screenwriter (d. 1984)
- 1905Michail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov, Russian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1984)
- 1945Priscilla Presley, American actress
- 1976Alessandro Cortini, Italian multi-instrumentalist (Nine Inch Nails)
- 1977Kym Valentine, Australian actress
- 1984Ryan Wieber, American visual effects compositor and amateur filmmaker
- 1987Guillaume Latendresse, Canadian hockey player
- 1991Erika Umeda, Japanese singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.