May 24: Day of the Week
May 24, 2020 was the 145th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 221 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ITSCKKNJUIZU? Check your answers here: Unscramble words ITSCKKNJUIZU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1218The Fifth Crusade leaves Acre for Egypt.
- 1276Magnus Ladulås is crowned King of Sweden in Uppsala Cathedral.
- 1487The ten-year-old Lambert Simnel is crowned in Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland with the name of Edward VI in a bid to threaten King Henry VII’s reign.
- 1895Henry Irving becomes the first person from the theatre to be knighted.
- 1956Conclusion of the Sixth Buddhist Council on Vesak Day, marking the 2,500 year anniversary after the Lord Buddha’s Parinibbāna.
- 1962Project Mercury: American astronaut Scott Carpenter orbits the Earth three times in the Aurora 7 space capsule.
- 1967Egypt imposes a blockade and siege of the Red Sea coast of Israel.
- 1976The London to Washington, D.C. Concorde service begins.
- 1989Sonia Sutcliffe, wife of the Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe, is awarded £600,000 in damages (later reduced to £60,000 on appeal) after winning a libel action against Private Eye.
- 1991Israel conducts Operation Solomon, evacuating Ethiopian Jews to Israel.
Who were born on May 24?
- 1616John Maitland, Duke of Lauderdale (d. 1682)
- 1836Joseph Rowntree, British social reformer (d. 1925)
- 1854John Riley Banister, American law officer and cowboy (d. 1918)
- 1855Arthur Wing Pinero, English playwright (d. 1934)
- 1863George Grey Barnard, American sculptor (d. 1938)
- 1913Peter Ellenshaw, American matte designer (d. 2007)
- 1945Priscilla Presley, American actress
- 1965Jens Becker, German bassist (Grave Digger)
- 1973Vladimír Šmicer, Czech footballer
- 1986Jordan Metcalfe, English actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.