May 24: Day of the Week
May 24, 2021 was the 144th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 221 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JWIBSEGPEFL? Check your answers here: Word solver JWIBSEGPEFL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1218The Fifth Crusade leaves Acre for Egypt.
- 1276Magnus Ladulås is crowned King of Sweden in Uppsala Cathedral.
- 1487The ten-year-old Lambert Simnel is crowned in Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland with the name of Edward VI in a bid to threaten King Henry VII’s reign.
- 1626Peter Minuit buys Manhattan.
- 1738John Wesley is converted, essentially launching the Methodist movement; the day is celebrated annually by Methodists as Aldersgate Day and a church service is generally held on the preceding Sunday.
- 1822Battle of Pichincha: Antonio José de Sucre secures the independence of the Presidency of Quito.
- 1832The First Kingdom of Greece is declared in the London Conference.
- 1961Cyprus joins the Council of Europe.
- 1973Earl Jellicoe resigns as Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords.
- 1989Sonia Sutcliffe, wife of the Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe, is awarded £600,000 in damages (later reduced to £60,000 on appeal) after winning a libel action against Private Eye.
Who were born on May 24?
- 1794William Whewell, English scientist and philosopher (d. 1866)
- 1863George Grey Barnard, American sculptor (d. 1938)
- 1911Barbara West, English survivor of the Titanic sinking (d. 2007)
- 1935Joan Micklin Silver, American director
- 1962Héctor Camacho, Puerto Rican boxer
- 1963Joe Dumars, American basketball player
- 1967Carlos Hernández, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1967Dana Ashbrook, American actor
- 1974Sébastien Foucan, French actor and free-runner
- 1974Will Sasso, Canadian actor and comedian
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.