May 24: Day of the Week
May 24, 2019 was the 144th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 221 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rosie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1487The ten-year-old Lambert Simnel is crowned in Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland with the name of Edward VI in a bid to threaten King Henry VII’s reign.
- 1621The Protestant Union is formally dissolved.
- 1830Mary Had a Little Lamb by Sarah Josepha Hale is published.
- 1844Samuel Morse sends the message “What hath God wrought” (a biblical quotation, Numbers 23:23) from the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the United States Capitol to his assistant, Alfred Vail, in Baltimore, Maryland to inaugurate the first telegraph line.
- 1856John Brown and his men kill five slavery supporters at Pottawatomie Creek, Kansas.
- 1941World War II: In the Battle of the Atlantic, the German Battleship Bismarck sinks the then pride of the Royal Navy, HMS Hood, killing all but three crewmen.
- 1960Following the 1960 Valdivia earthquake, the largest ever recorded earthquake, Cordón Caulle begins to erupt.
- 1981Ecuadorian president Jaime Roldós Aguilera, his wife and his presidential committee died in an aircraft accident while travelling from Quito to Zapotillo minutes after the president famous speech regarding the 24 de mayo anniversary of the Battle of Pichincha.
- 1990A car carrying American Earth First! activists Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney explodes in Oakland, California, critically injuring both.
- 1991Eritrea gains its independence from Ethiopia.
Who were born on May 24?
- 15 BCJulius Caesar Germanicus, Roman commander (d. 19)
- 1671Gian Gastone de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (d. 1737)
- 1886Paul Paray, French conductor and composer (d. 1979)
- 1899Kazi Nazrul Islam, Bangladeshi National poet. (d. 1976)
- 1901José Nasazzi, Uruguayan footballer (d. 1968)
- 1916Roden Cutler, Australian diplomat (d. 2002)
- 1937Roger Peterson, pilot who flew the plane on The Day the Music Died (d. 1959)
- 1964Adrian Moorhouse, British swimmer
- 1965Jens Becker, German bassist (Grave Digger)
- 1973Dermot O'Leary, English television presenter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.