May 24: Day of the Week
May 24, 2021 was the 144th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 221 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EQMWAJICMDKAE? Check your answers here: Unscramble words EQMWAJICMDKAE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1830Mary Had a Little Lamb by Sarah Josepha Hale is published.
- 1844Samuel Morse sends the message “What hath God wrought” (a biblical quotation, Numbers 23:23) from the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the United States Capitol to his assistant, Alfred Vail, in Baltimore, Maryland to inaugurate the first telegraph line.
- 1956Conclusion of the Sixth Buddhist Council on Vesak Day, marking the 2,500 year anniversary after the Lord Buddha’s Parinibbāna.
- 1961American civil rights movement: Freedom Riders are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi for “disturbing the peace” after disembarking from their bus.
- 1968FLQ separatists bomb the U.S. consulate in Quebec City.
- 1970The drilling of the Kola Superdeep Borehole begins in the Soviet Union.
- 1973Earl Jellicoe resigns as Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords.
- 1976The London to Washington, D.C. Concorde service begins.
- 1988Section 28 of the United Kingdom’s Local Government Act 1988, a controversial amendment stating that a local authority cannot intentionally promote homosexuality, is enacted.
- 1988The fourth game of the 1988 Stanley Cup Finals between the Edmonton Oilers and the Boston Bruins had to end in a tie because of a power failure. The Oilers went on to win the Stanley Cup with a 6-3 victory in game 5.
Who were born on May 24?
- 1522John Jewel, English Bishop of Salisbury (d. 1571)
- 1544William Gilbert, English natural philosopher (d. 1603)
- 1887Edward “Mick” Mannock, Irish World War I pilot (d. 1918)
- 1900Lionel Conacher, Canadian athlete and politician (d. 1954)
- 1901José Nasazzi, Uruguayan footballer (d. 1968)
- 1946Irena Szewińska, Russian-born Polish sprinter
- 1966Ricky Craven, American NASCAR driver
- 1972Joanna Wiśniewska, Polish discus thrower
- 1976Catherine Cox, Australian netballer
- 1993Oliver Davis, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.