May 24: Day of the Week
May 24, 2019 was the 144th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 221 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1276Magnus Ladulås is crowned King of Sweden in Uppsala Cathedral.
- 1487The ten-year-old Lambert Simnel is crowned in Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland with the name of Edward VI in a bid to threaten King Henry VII’s reign.
- 1895Henry Irving becomes the first person from the theatre to be knighted.
- 1900Second Boer War: The United Kingdom annexes the Orange Free State.
- 1901Seventy-eight miners die in the Caerphilly pit disaster in South Wales.
- 1935The first night game in Major League Baseball history is played in Cincinnati, Ohio, with the Cincinnati Reds beating the Philadelphia Phillies 2-1 at Crosley Field.
- 1973Earl Jellicoe resigns as Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords.
- 1990A car carrying American Earth First! activists Judi Bari and Darryl Cherney explodes in Oakland, California, critically injuring both.
- 1992The last Thai dictator, General Suchinda Kraprayoon, resigns following pro-democracy protests.
- 2001Mountain climbing: 15-year-old Sherpa Temba Tsheri becomes the youngest person to climb to the top of Mount Everest.
Who were born on May 24?
- 1686Gabriel Fahrenheit, German inventor and thermometer maker (d. 1736)
- 1870Benjamin Cardozo, American jurist (d. 1938)
- 1874Princess Marie of Hesse and by Rhine (d. 1878)
- 1887Edward “Mick” Mannock, Irish World War I pilot (d. 1918)
- 1925Mai Zetterling, Swedish-born entertainer (d. 1994)
- 1928William Trevor, Irish writer
- 1934Barry Rose, English choir-trainer and organist
- 1943Gary Burghoff, American actor
- 1985Giannis Kondoes, Greek footballer
- 1988Artem Anisimov, Russian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.