May 26: Day of the Week
May 26, 2018 was the 146th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 219 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Gemini horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 26 Historical Event(s)
- 451Battle of Avarayr between Armenian rebels and the Sassanid Empire takes place. The Empire defeats the Armenians militarily but guarantees them freedom to openly practice Christianity.
- 1830The Indian Removal Act is passed by the U.S. Congress; it is signed into law by President Andrew Jackson two days later.
- 1864Montana is organized as a United States territory.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi division, is the last general of the Confederate Army to surrender, at Galveston, Texas.
- 1879Russia and the United Kingdom sign the Treaty of Gandamak establishing an Afghan state.
- 1896Charles Dow publishes the first edition of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
- 1906Vauxhall Bridge is opened in London.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of Bir Hakeim takes place.
- 1986The European Community adopts the European flag.
- 1998The Supreme Court of the United States rules that Ellis Island, the historic gateway for millions of immigrants, is mainly in the state of New Jersey, not New York.
Who were born on May 26?
- 1863Robert James “Bob” Fitzsimmons, Boxing champion (d. 1917)
- 1873Olaf Gulbransson, Norwegian artist (d. 1958)
- 1880W. Otto Miessner, American composer and music educator (d. 1967)
- 1883Mamie Smith, American singer (d. 1946)
- 1910Imi Lichtenfeld, Israeli martial artist (d. 1998)
- 1911Ben Alexander, American actor (d. 1969)
- 1912János Kádár, Hungarian politician (d. 1989)
- 1923James Arness, American actor (d. 2011)
- 1938Pauline Parker, New Zealander murderer
- 1957Pontso S.M. Sekatle, Lesotho academic and politician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.