May 28: Day of the Week
May 28, 2019 was the 148th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 217 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Clifton’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1588The Spanish Armada, with 130 ships and 30,000 men, sets sail from Lisbon heading for the English Channel. (It will take until May 30 for all ships to leave port).
- 1644Bolton Massacre by Royalist troops under the command of the Earl of Derby.
- 1798The United States Congress empowers president John Adams to enlist 10,000 men for service in case of a declaration of war or invasion of the country’s domain. It also authorizes Adams to instruct commanders of ships-of-war to seize armed French vessels preying upon or attacking American merchantmen about the coast.
- 192628th May 1926 coup d'état: Ditadura Nacional is established in Portugal to suppress the unrest of the First Republic.
- 1940World War II: Belgium surrenders to Germany to end the Battle of Belgium.
- 1942World War II: in retaliation for the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, Nazis in Czechoslovakia kill over 1,800 people.
- 1951British radio comedy programme The Goon Show was broadcast on BBC for the first time.
- 1958Cuban Revolution: Fidel Castro’s 26 July movement, heavily reinforced by Frank Pais Militia, overwhelm an army post in El Uvero.
- 1998Nuclear testing: Pakistan responds to a series of nuclear tests by India with five of its own codenamed Chagai-I, prompting the United States, Japan, and other nations to impose economic sanctions. Pakistan celebrates Youm-e-Takbir annually.
- 2010In West Bengal, India, a train derailment and subsequent collision kills 141 passengers.
Who were born on May 28?
- 1692Joseph Butler, English philosopher (d. 1752)
- 1908Ian Fleming, English author (d. 1964)
- 1910T-Bone Walker, American singer (d. 1975)
- 1911Dame Thora Hird, British actress (d. 2003)
- 1916Walker Percy, American author (d. 1990)
- 1938Prince Buster, Jamaican ska and rocksteady musician
- 1960Mark Sanford, 115th Governor of South Carolina and Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from South Carolina
- 1963Houman Younessi, Iranian-born scientist
- 1979Ronald Curry, American football player
- 1981Eric Ghiaciuc, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.