May 4: Day of the Week
May 4, 2019 is the 124th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 241 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1256The Augustinian monastic order is constituted at the Lecceto Monastery when Pope Alexander IV issues a papal bull Licet ecclesiae catholicae.
- 1675King Charles II of England orders the construction of the Royal Greenwich Observatory.
- 1686The Municipality of Ilagan is founded in the Philippines.
- 1814King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decrete of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism.
- 1863American Civil War: The Battle of Chancellorsville ends with a Union retreat.
- 1912Italy occupies the Greek island of Rhodes.
- 1919May Fourth Movement: Student demonstrations take place in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China, protesting the Treaty of Versailles, which transferred Chinese territory to Japan.
- 1946In San Francisco Bay, U.S. Marines from the nearby Treasure Island Naval Base stop a two-day riot at Alcatraz federal prison. Five people are killed in the riot.
- 1959The 1st Grammy Awards are held.
- 1982Twenty sailors are killed when the British Type 42 destroyer HMS Sheffield is hit by an Argentinian Exocet missile during the Falklands War.
Who were born on May 4?
- 1008Khajeh Abdollah Ansari, The Persian Sufi (d. 1088)
- 1649Maharaja Chhatrasal (d. 1731)
- 1890Franklin Carmichael, Canadian artist, a founder of the Group of Seven (d. 1945)
- 1923Godfrey Quigley, British actor (d. 1994)
- 1923Stanley Biber, American physician, pioneer of transgender surgery (d. 2006)
- 1929Audrey Hepburn, Anglo-Dutch actress (d. 1993)
- 1930Roberta Peters, American soprano
- 1971Rudresh Mahanthappa, Indian-American jazz alto saxophonist and composer
- 1983Jesse Moss, Canadian actor
- 1990Matthias Cuntz, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.