May 5: Day of the Week
May 5, 2020 was the 126th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 240 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Eloise’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of the Wilderness begins in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
- 1886The Bay View Tragedy: A militia fires into a crowd of protesters in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, killing seven.
- 1891The Music Hall in New York City (later known as Carnegie Hall) has its grand opening and first public performance, with Tchaikovsky as the guest conductor.
- 1920Authorities arrest Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti for alleged robbery and murder.
- 1940World War II: Norwegian refugees form a government-in-exile in London
- 1941Emperor Haile Selassie returns to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; the country commemorates the date as Liberation Day or Patriots’ Victory Day.
- 1950Bhumibol Adulyadej crowns himself King Rama IX of Thailand.
- 1961The Mercury program: Mercury-Redstone 3 – Alan Shepard becomes the first American to travel into outer space, making a sub-orbital flight of 15 minutes.
- 1964The Council of Europe declares May 5 as Europe Day.
- 1972Alitalia Flight 112 crashes into Mount Longa near Palermo, Sicily, killing all 115 aboard, making it the deadliest single-aircraft disaster in Italy.
Who were born on May 5?
- 1826Empress Eugénie de Montijo of France, wife of Napoleon III (d. 1920)
- 1927Pat Carroll, American actress
- 1940Lance Henriksen, American actor and painter
- 1948Bill Ward, British drummer
- 1974Seiji Ara, Japanese racing driver
- 1976Juan Pablo Sorín, Argentine footballer
- 1981Danielle Fishel, American actress
- 1983Henry Cavill, Jersey actor
- 1985Emanuele Giaccherini, Italian footballer
- 1991Xenofon Fetsis, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.