May 5: Day of the Week
May 5, 2023 was the 125th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 240 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WOYUQSAAE? Check your answers here: Word search WOYUQSAAE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
May 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1494Christopher Columbus lands on the island of Jamaica and claims it for Spain.
- 1809Mary Kies becomes the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weaving straw with silk and thread.
- 1809The Swiss canton of Aargau denies citizenship to Jews.
- 1811In the second day of fighting at the Peninsular War Battle of Fuentes de Onoro the French army, under Marshall Massena, drive in the Duke of Wellington’s overextended right flank, but French frontal assaults fail to take the town of Fuentes de Onoro and the Anglo-Portugese army holds the field at the end of the day.
- 1821Emperor Napoleon I dies in exile on the island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of the Wilderness begins in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
- 1904Pitching against the Philadelphia Athletics at the Huntington Avenue Grounds, Cy Young of the Boston Americans throws the first perfect game in the modern era of baseball.
- 1905The trial in the Stratton Brothers case begins in London, England; it marks the first time that fingerprint evidence is used to gain a conviction for murder.
- 1955West Germany gains full sovereignty.
- 1994The signing of the Bishkek Protocol between Armenia and Azerbaijan effectively freezes the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Who were born on May 5?
- 1834Viktor Hartmann, Russian architect and painter (d. 1873)
- 1890Christopher Morley, American writer (d. 1957)
- 1899Freeman Gosden, American radio comedian (Amos-Amos ‘n’Andy) (d. 1982)
- 1903James Beard, American chef and cookbook writer (d. 1985)
- 1915Alice Faye, American actress (d. 1998)
- 1921Arthur Leonard Schawlow, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1999)
- 1958Robert DiPierdomenico, Australian rules footballer
- 1966Shawn Drover, Canadian drummer (Megadeth)
- 1972Brad Bombardir, Canadian ice-hockey player
- 1987Marija Šestić, Bosnian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.