May 5: Day of the Week
May 5, 2020 is the 126th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 240 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Eliza’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1640King Charles I of England dissolves the Short Parliament.
- 1762Russia and Prussia sign the Treaty of St. Petersburg.
- 1809The Swiss canton of Aargau denies citizenship to Jews.
- 1811In the second day of fighting at the Peninsular War Battle of Fuentes de Onoro the French army, under Marshall Massena, drive in the Duke of Wellington’s overextended right flank, but French frontal assaults fail to take the town of Fuentes de Onoro and the Anglo-Portugese army holds the field at the end of the day.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of the Wilderness begins in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
- 1891The Music Hall in New York City (later known as Carnegie Hall) has its grand opening and first public performance, with Tchaikovsky as the guest conductor.
- 1936Italian troops occupy Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- 1940World War II: Norwegian Campaign – Norwegian squads in Hegra Fortress and Vinjesvingen capitulate to the Nazis after all other Norwegian forces in southern Norway had laid down their arms.
- 1941Emperor Haile Selassie returns to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; the country commemorates the date as Liberation Day or Patriots’ Victory Day.
- 2007All 114 aboard Kenya Airways Flight 507 die when the pilots lose control of the plane and it crashes in Douala, Cameroon.
Who were born on May 5?
- 1899Freeman Gosden, American radio comedian (Amos-Amos ‘n’Andy) (d. 1982)
- 1923Richard Wollheim, British philosopher (d. 2003)
- 1934Ace Cannon, American saxophonist
- 1936Ervin Lázár, Hungarian writer (d. 2006)
- 1942Marc Alaimo, American actor
- 1952Campbell McComas, Australian impersonator and broadcaster (d. 2005)
- 1970Soheil Ayari, French racer
- 1970Todd Newton, American TV-personality, two-time game-show host
- 1976Dieter Brummer, Australian actor
- 1981Craig David, English singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.