May 5: Day of the Week
May 5, 2020 is the 126th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 240 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Carrie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1260Kublai Khan becomes ruler of the Mongol Empire.
- 1640King Charles I of England dissolves the Short Parliament.
- 1811In the second day of fighting at the Peninsular War Battle of Fuentes de Onoro the French army, under Marshall Massena, drive in the Duke of Wellington’s overextended right flank, but French frontal assaults fail to take the town of Fuentes de Onoro and the Anglo-Portugese army holds the field at the end of the day.
- 1862Cinco de Mayo: troops led by Ignacio Zaragoza halt a French invasion in the Battle of Puebla in Mexico.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of the Wilderness begins in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
- 1925The government of South Africa declares Afrikaans an official language
- 1941Emperor Haile Selassie returns to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; the country commemorates the date as Liberation Day or Patriots’ Victory Day.
- 1946The International Military Tribunal for the Far East begins in Tokyo with twenty-eight Japanese military and government officials accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- 1955West Germany gains full sovereignty.
- 1994The signing of the Bishkek Protocol between Armenia and Azerbaijan effectively freezes the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Who were born on May 5?
- 1883Archibald Wavell, British general (d. 1950)
- 1925Leo Ryan, United States Congressman (d. 1978)
- 1955Melinda Culea, American actress
- 1958Robert DiPierdomenico, Australian rules footballer
- 1963Heidi Kozak, American actress
- 1963Simon Rimmer, English chef
- 1982Wouter D'Haene, Belgian flatwater-canoeist
- 1983Scott Ware, American football player
- 1988Brooke Hogan, American singer and television personality
- 1991Xenofon Fetsis, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.