May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2021 is the 128th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GPPOQUABIMQ? Check your answers here: Word scramble GPPOQUABIMQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 589Reccared summons the Third Council of Toledo.
- 1794Branded a traitor during the Reign of Terror by revolutionists, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier, who was also a tax collector with the Ferme Générale, is tried, convicted, and guillotined all on the same day in Paris.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: The Greeks defeat the Turks at the Battle of Gravia.
- 1899The Irish Literary Theatre in Dublin opens.
- 1919Edward George Honey first proposes the idea of a moment of silence to commemorate The Armistice of World War I, which later results in the creation of Remembrance Day. In the United States it was called Armistice Day and is now Veterans Day.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end with Japanese Imperial Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attacking and sinking the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- 1946Estonian school girls Aili Jõgi and Ageeda Paavel blow up the Soviet memorial which stood in front of the Bronze Soldier in Tallinn.
- 1972Four Black September terrorists hijack Sabena Flight 571. Israeli Sayeret Matkal commandos recapture the plane the following day.
- 1972Vietnam War – U.S. President Richard M. Nixon announces his order to place mines in major North Vietnamese ports in order to stem the flow of weapons and other goods to that nation.
- 1984Thames Barrier officially opened.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1927Chumy Chúmez, Spanish film director (d. 2003)
- 1932Phyllida Law, Scottish actress
- 1940Toni Tennille, American singer
- 1951Mike D'Antoni, American professional basketball coach
- 1956Jeff Wincott, Canadian actor
- 1957Marie Myriam, French singer
- 1960Franco Baresi, Italian footballer
- 1976Martha Wainwright, Canadian musician and songwriter
- 1983Matt Willis, British singer (Busted)
- 1990Kemba Walker, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.