May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2019 was the 128th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Luke’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 413Emperor Honorius signs an edict providing tax relief for the Italian provinces Tuscia, Campania, Picenum, Samnium, Apulia, Lucania and Calabria, who are plundered by the Visigoths.
- 1794Branded a traitor during the Reign of Terror by revolutionists, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier, who was also a tax collector with the Ferme Générale, is tried, convicted, and guillotined all on the same day in Paris.
- 1846Mexican-American War: The Battle of Palo Alto – Zachary Taylor defeats a Mexican force north of the Rio Grande in the first major battle of the war.
- 1861American Civil War: Richmond, Virginia is named the capital of the Confederate States of America.
- 1924the Klaipėda Convention is signed formally incorporating Klaipėda Region (Memel Territory) into Lithuania.
- 1963South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- 1967The Philippine province of Davao is split into three: Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, and Davao Oriental.
- 1978First ascent of Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen, by Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler.
- 1980The eradication of smallpox is endorsed by the World Health Organization.
- 1984Thames Barrier officially opened.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1738Mikhail Kamensky, Russian general (d. 1809)
- 1753Miguel Hidalgo Mexican revolutionary (d. 1811)
- 1786Jean Vianney, French Catholic priest (d. 1859)
- 1910Andrew E. Svenson, American children’s book author and publisher (d. 1975)
- 1916Swami Chinmayananda, Indian spiritualist (d. 1993)
- 1932Julieta Campos, Cuban-born Mexican writer (d. 2007)
- 1932Phyllida Law, Scottish actress
- 1951Philip Bailey, American singer (Earth, Wind & Fire)
- 1968Johan Pehrson, Swedish politician
- 1987Felix Jones, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.