May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2018 was the 128th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1821Greek War of Independence: The Greeks defeat the Turks at the Battle of Gravia.
- 1924the Klaipėda Convention is signed formally incorporating Klaipėda Region (Memel Territory) into Lithuania.
- 1927Attempting to make the first non-stop transatlantic flight from Paris to New York, French war heroes Charles Nungesser and Francois Coli disappeared after taking off aboard The White Bird biplane.
- 1941The German Luftwaffe launch a bombing raid on Nottingham and Derby
- 1945Hundreds of Algerian civilians are killed by French Army soldiers in the Sétif massacre.
- 1970The Hard Hat riot occurs in the Wall Street area of New York City as blue-collar construction workers clash with demonstrators protesting the Vietnam War.
- 1972Four Black September terrorists hijack Sabena Flight 571. Israeli Sayeret Matkal commandos recapture the plane the following day.
- 1984Corporal Denis Lortie enters the Quebec National Assembly and opens fire, killing three and wounding 13. René Jalbert, sergeant-at-arms of the assembly, succeeds in calming him, for which he will later receive the Cross of Valour.
- 1987The Loughgall Ambush: The SAS kills eight Provisional Irish Republican Army volunteers and a civilian during an ambush in Loughgall, Northern Ireland.
- 1997A China Southern Airlines Boeing 737 crashes on approach into Bao'an International Airport, killing 35 people.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1839Adolphe-Basile Routhier, French Canadian lyricist (d. 1920)
- 1895Edmund Wilson, American writer (d. 1972)
- 1916João Havelange, Brazilian industrialist
- 1958Lovie Smith, American professional football coach
- 1963Anthony Field, Australian musician and actor
- 1964Bobby Labonte, American race car driver
- 1968Johan Pehrson, Swedish politician
- 1970Luis Enrique, Spanish football player
- 1975Enrique Iglesias, Spanish singer
- 1983Roberto Vitiello, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.