May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2020 was the 129th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Abel’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1886Pharmacist John Styth Pemberton first sells a carbonated beverage named “Coca-Cola” as a patent medicine.
- 1898The first games of the Italian football league system are played.
- 1924the Klaipėda Convention is signed formally incorporating Klaipėda Region (Memel Territory) into Lithuania.
- 1927Attempting to make the first non-stop transatlantic flight from Paris to New York, French war heroes Charles Nungesser and Francois Coli disappeared after taking off aboard The White Bird biplane.
- 1945End of the Prague uprising, today celebrated as a national holiday in the Czech Republic.
- 1972Vietnam War – U.S. President Richard M. Nixon announces his order to place mines in major North Vietnamese ports in order to stem the flow of weapons and other goods to that nation.
- 1973A 71-day standoff between federal authorities and the American Indian Movement members occupying the Pine Ridge Reservation at Wounded Knee, South Dakota ends with the surrender of the militants.
- 1980The eradication of smallpox is endorsed by the World Health Organization.
- 1984The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
- 1997A China Southern Airlines Boeing 737 crashes on approach into Bao'an International Airport, killing 35 people.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1842Emil Christian Hansen, Danish physiologist (d. 1909)
- 1847Oscar Hammerstein I, American theater producer and impresario (d. 1919)
- 1850Ross Barnes, baseball player (d. 1915)
- 1853Dan Brouthers, baseball player (d. 1932)
- 1919Lex Barker, American actor (d. 1973)
- 1920Sloan Wilson, American author (d. 2003)
- 1968Johan Pehrson, Swedish politician
- 1975Jussi Markkanen, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1976Ian Watkins, Welsh singer and actor (Steps)
- 1981Andrea Barzagli, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.