May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2021 is the 128th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BFQTIIIN? Check your answers here: Words with these letters BFQTIIIN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1450Jack Cade’s Rebellion: Kentishmen revolt against King Henry VI.
- 1846Mexican-American War: The Battle of Palo Alto – Zachary Taylor defeats a Mexican force north of the Rio Grande in the first major battle of the war.
- 1886Pharmacist John Styth Pemberton first sells a carbonated beverage named “Coca-Cola” as a patent medicine.
- 1912Paramount Pictures is founded.
- 1942World War II: Gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel in the Cocos Islands Mutiny. Their mutiny is crushed and three of them are executed, the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War.
- 1946Estonian school girls Aili Jõgi and Ageeda Paavel blow up the Soviet memorial which stood in front of the Bronze Soldier in Tallinn.
- 1963South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- 1980The eradication of smallpox is endorsed by the World Health Organization.
- 1984Thames Barrier officially opened.
- 1984The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1828Jean Henri Dunant, Founder of the Red Cross; Nobel laureate (d. 1910)
- 1903Fernandel, French actor (d. 1971)
- 1916Swami Chinmayananda, Indian spiritualist (d. 1993)
- 1940Irwin Cotler, Canadian politician
- 1946Jonathan Dancy, British philosopher
- 1964Melissa Gilbert, American actress
- 1970Naomi Klein, Canadian author and activist
- 1975Gastón Mazzacane, Argentine racing driver
- 1985Mashio Miyazaki, Japanese actress
- 1991Ethan Gage, Canadian soccer player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.