May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2020 is the 129th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alana’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1450Jack Cade’s Rebellion: Kentishmen revolt against King Henry VI.
- 1788The French Parlement is suspended to be replaced by the creation of forty-seven new courts.
- 1886Pharmacist John Styth Pemberton first sells a carbonated beverage named “Coca-Cola” as a patent medicine.
- 1924the Klaipėda Convention is signed formally incorporating Klaipėda Region (Memel Territory) into Lithuania.
- 1942World War II: Gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel in the Cocos Islands Mutiny. Their mutiny is crushed and three of them are executed, the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War.
- 1972Four Black September terrorists hijack Sabena Flight 571. Israeli Sayeret Matkal commandos recapture the plane the following day.
- 1973A 71-day standoff between federal authorities and the American Indian Movement members occupying the Pine Ridge Reservation at Wounded Knee, South Dakota ends with the surrender of the militants.
- 1984Thames Barrier officially opened.
- 1987The Loughgall Ambush: The SAS kills eight Provisional Irish Republican Army volunteers and a civilian during an ambush in Loughgall, Northern Ireland.
- 1988A fire at Illinois Bell‘s Hinsdale Central Office triggers an extended 1AESS network outage once considered the 'worst telecommunications disaster in US telephone industry history’and still the worst to occur on Mother’s Day.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1670Charles Beauclerk, 1st Duke of St Albans, English soldier (d. 1726)
- 1821William Henry Vanderbilt, member of the Vanderbilt family (d. 1885)
- 1825George Bruce Malleson, Indian officer (d. 1898)
- 1943Paul Samwell-Smith, British bassist (The Yardbirds)
- 1951Philip Bailey, American singer (Earth, Wind & Fire)
- 1957Bill Cowher, American professional football coach
- 1963Sylvain Cossette, Quebec singer and songwriter
- 1973Hiromu Arakawa, Japanese artist
- 1975Jussi Markkanen, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1981Björn Dixgård, Swedish guitarist, singer, songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.