May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2019 is the 128th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 589Reccared summons the Third Council of Toledo.
- 1450Jack Cade’s Rebellion: Kentishmen revolt against King Henry VI.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: The Greeks defeat the Turks at the Battle of Gravia.
- 1846Mexican-American War: The Battle of Palo Alto – Zachary Taylor defeats a Mexican force north of the Rio Grande in the first major battle of the war.
- 1933Mohandas Gandhi begins a 21-day fast in protest against British oppression in India.
- 1942World War II: Gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel in the Cocos Islands Mutiny. Their mutiny is crushed and three of them are executed, the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War.
- 1967The Philippine province of Davao is split into three: Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, and Davao Oriental.
- 1972Four Black September terrorists hijack Sabena Flight 571. Israeli Sayeret Matkal commandos recapture the plane the following day.
- 1980The eradication of smallpox is endorsed by the World Health Organization.
- 1984The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1521Petrus Canisius, Dutch Jesuit (d. 1597)
- 1839Adolphe-Basile Routhier, French Canadian lyricist (d. 1920)
- 1906Roberto Rossellini, Italian director (d. 1977)
- 1925Ali Hassan Mwinyi, President of Tanzania
- 1926Don Rickles, American comedian
- 1928Theodore Sorensen, American lawyer and special counsel to John F. Kennedy (d. 2010)
- 1945Keith Jarrett, American musician
- 1951Philip Bailey, American singer (Earth, Wind & Fire)
- 1958Lovie Smith, American professional football coach
- 1981Yasuko Tajima, Japanese swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.