May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2019 was the 128th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 413Emperor Honorius signs an edict providing tax relief for the Italian provinces Tuscia, Campania, Picenum, Samnium, Apulia, Lucania and Calabria, who are plundered by the Visigoths.
- 1788The French Parlement is suspended to be replaced by the creation of forty-seven new courts.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: The Greeks defeat the Turks at the Battle of Gravia.
- 1886Pharmacist John Styth Pemberton first sells a carbonated beverage named “Coca-Cola” as a patent medicine.
- 1899The Irish Literary Theatre in Dublin opens.
- 1912Paramount Pictures is founded.
- 1919Edward George Honey first proposes the idea of a moment of silence to commemorate The Armistice of World War I, which later results in the creation of Remembrance Day. In the United States it was called Armistice Day and is now Veterans Day.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end with Japanese Imperial Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attacking and sinking the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- 1945Hundreds of Algerian civilians are killed by French Army soldiers in the Sétif massacre.
- 1978First ascent of Mount Everest without supplemental oxygen, by Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1460Frederick I, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach (d. 1536)
- 1895Edmund Wilson, American writer (d. 1972)
- 1919Lex Barker, American actor (d. 1973)
- 1941Bill Lockyer, American politician
- 1958Lovie Smith, American professional football coach
- 1968Johan Pehrson, Swedish politician
- 1973Hiromu Arakawa, Japanese artist
- 1981Yasuko Tajima, Japanese swimmer
- 1985Mashio Miyazaki, Japanese actress
- 1989Lars Eller, Danish ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.