May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2021 was the 128th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Cora’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1541Hernando de Soto reaches the Mississippi River and names it Río de Espíritu Santo.
- 1794Branded a traitor during the Reign of Terror by revolutionists, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier, who was also a tax collector with the Ferme Générale, is tried, convicted, and guillotined all on the same day in Paris.
- 1877At Gilmore’s Gardens in New York City, the first Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show opens.
- 1902In Martinique, Mount Pelée erupts, destroying the town of Saint-Pierre and killing over 30,000 people. Only a handful of residents survive the blast.
- 1912Paramount Pictures is founded.
- 1933Mohandas Gandhi begins a 21-day fast in protest against British oppression in India.
- 1945World War II: V-E Day, combat ends in Europe. German forces agree in Rheims, France, to an unconditional surrender.
- 1946Estonian school girls Aili Jõgi and Ageeda Paavel blow up the Soviet memorial which stood in front of the Bronze Soldier in Tallinn.
- 1963South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- 1988A fire at Illinois Bell‘s Hinsdale Central Office triggers an extended 1AESS network outage once considered the 'worst telecommunications disaster in US telephone industry history’and still the worst to occur on Mother’s Day.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1326Joanna I of Auvergne, queen of France (d. 1360)
- 1632Heino Heinrich Graf von Flemming, German marshal (d. 1706)
- 1929Claude Castonguay, Quebec politician
- 1935Jack Charlton, English footballer
- 1942Terry Neill, Northern Irish footballer
- 1946Jonathan Dancy, British philosopher
- 1963Robin Jarvis, British writer
- 1966Claudio Taffarel, Brazilian footballer
- 1968Jamie Summers, American porn star
- 1976Martha Wainwright, Canadian musician and songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.