May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2019 was the 128th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1899The Irish Literary Theatre in Dublin opens.
- 1941The German Luftwaffe launch a bombing raid on Nottingham and Derby
- 1942World War II: Gunners of the Ceylon Garrison Artillery on Horsburgh Island in the Cocos Islands rebel in the Cocos Islands Mutiny. Their mutiny is crushed and three of them are executed, the only British Commonwealth soldiers to be executed for mutiny during the Second World War.
- 1945End of the Prague uprising, today celebrated as a national holiday in the Czech Republic.
- 1945Hundreds of Algerian civilians are killed by French Army soldiers in the Sétif massacre.
- 1945World War II: V-E Day, combat ends in Europe. German forces agree in Rheims, France, to an unconditional surrender.
- 1946Estonian school girls Aili Jõgi and Ageeda Paavel blow up the Soviet memorial which stood in front of the Bronze Soldier in Tallinn.
- 1972Vietnam War – U.S. President Richard M. Nixon announces his order to place mines in major North Vietnamese ports in order to stem the flow of weapons and other goods to that nation.
- 1973A 71-day standoff between federal authorities and the American Indian Movement members occupying the Pine Ridge Reservation at Wounded Knee, South Dakota ends with the surrender of the militants.
- 1984Thames Barrier officially opened.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1853Dan Brouthers, baseball player (d. 1932)
- 1893Francis Ouimet, American golfer and businessman (d. 1967)
- 1901Turkey Stearnes, American baseball player (d. 1979)
- 1914Romain Gary, Polish writer (d. 1980)
- 1915Milton Meltzer, American writer (d. 2009)
- 1927Chumy Chúmez, Spanish film director (d. 2003)
- 1940Emilio Delgado, American actor
- 1946André Boulerice, French-Canadian politician
- 1953Alex Van Halen, Dutch-born American drummer (Van Halen)
- 1968Jamie Summers, American porn star
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.