May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2020 was the 129th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AEOWDDOHTU? Check your answers here: Unscramble words AEOWDDOHTU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 413Emperor Honorius signs an edict providing tax relief for the Italian provinces Tuscia, Campania, Picenum, Samnium, Apulia, Lucania and Calabria, who are plundered by the Visigoths.
- 1788The French Parlement is suspended to be replaced by the creation of forty-seven new courts.
- 1877At Gilmore’s Gardens in New York City, the first Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show opens.
- 1898The first games of the Italian football league system are played.
- 1912Paramount Pictures is founded.
- 1927Attempting to make the first non-stop transatlantic flight from Paris to New York, French war heroes Charles Nungesser and Francois Coli disappeared after taking off aboard The White Bird biplane.
- 1963South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- 1967The Philippine province of Davao is split into three: Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, and Davao Oriental.
- 1972Vietnam War – U.S. President Richard M. Nixon announces his order to place mines in major North Vietnamese ports in order to stem the flow of weapons and other goods to that nation.
- 1980The eradication of smallpox is endorsed by the World Health Organization.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1899Arthur Q. Bryan, American voice actor (d. 1959)
- 1906Roberto Rossellini, Italian director (d. 1977)
- 1926Don Rickles, American comedian
- 1932Phyllida Law, Scottish actress
- 1942Norman Lamont, British politician
- 1968Johan Pehrson, Swedish politician
- 1975Gastón Mazzacane, Argentine racing driver
- 1975Jussi Markkanen, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1976Martha Wainwright, Canadian musician and songwriter
- 1980Keyon Dooling, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.