May 8: Day of the Week
May 8, 2019 is the 128th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 237 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1788The French Parlement is suspended to be replaced by the creation of forty-seven new courts.
- 1877At Gilmore’s Gardens in New York City, the first Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show opens.
- 1902In Martinique, Mount Pelée erupts, destroying the town of Saint-Pierre and killing over 30,000 people. Only a handful of residents survive the blast.
- 1927Attempting to make the first non-stop transatlantic flight from Paris to New York, French war heroes Charles Nungesser and Francois Coli disappeared after taking off aboard The White Bird biplane.
- 1933Mohandas Gandhi begins a 21-day fast in protest against British oppression in India.
- 1946Estonian school girls Aili Jõgi and Ageeda Paavel blow up the Soviet memorial which stood in front of the Bronze Soldier in Tallinn.
- 1963South Vietnamese soldiers of Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem open fire on Buddhists defying a ban on the flying of the Buddhist flag on Vesak, killing nine.
- 1967The Philippine province of Davao is split into three: Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, and Davao Oriental.
- 1973A 71-day standoff between federal authorities and the American Indian Movement members occupying the Pine Ridge Reservation at Wounded Knee, South Dakota ends with the surrender of the militants.
- 1984The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California.
Who were born on May 8?
- 1629Niels Juel, Danish admiral (d. 1697)
- 1786Jean Vianney, French Catholic priest (d. 1859)
- 1847Oscar Hammerstein I, American theater producer and impresario (d. 1919)
- 1853Dan Brouthers, baseball player (d. 1932)
- 1895Fulton J. Sheen, American bishop (d. 1979)
- 1925Ali Hassan Mwinyi, President of Tanzania
- 1937Mike Cuellar, American baseball player (d. 2010)
- 1969Akebono Taro, American sumo wrestler, the 64th Yokozuna
- 1981Yasuko Tajima, Japanese swimmer
- 1987Mark Noble, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.