May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2019 was the 129th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Miles’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1450'Abd al-Latif (Timurid monarch) is assassinated.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1920Polish-Soviet War: The Polish army under General Edward Rydz-Śmigły celebrates its capture of Kiev with a victory parade on Khreschatyk.
- 1926Admiral Richard E. Byrd and Floyd Bennett claim to have flown over the North Pole (later discovery of Byrd’s diary seems to indicate that this did not happen).
- 1927The Australian Parliament first convenes in Canberra.
- 1948Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- 1950Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the “Schuman declaration”, is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- 1955Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
- 1964Ngo Dinh Can, de facto ruler of central Vietnam under his brother President Ngo Dinh Diem before the family’s toppling, is executed.
- 2001In Ghana 129 football fans die in what became known as the Accra Sports Stadium Disaster. The deaths are caused by a stampede (caused by the firing of teargas by police personnel at the stadium) that followed a controversial decision by the referee.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1837Adam Opel, German engineer and industrialist (d. 1895)
- 1873Anton Cermak, Mayor of Chicago (d. 1933)
- 1895Lucian Blaga, Romanian poet, playwright, and philosopher (d. 1961)
- 1895Richard Barthelmess, American actor (d. 1963)
- 1914Carlo Maria Giulini, Italian musician and conductor (d. 2005)
- 1920William Tenn, American author (d. 2010)
- 1939Pierre Desproges, French humorist (d. 1988)
- 1969Amber, Dutch musician
- 1970Ghostface Killah, American rapper
- 1981Bill Murphy, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.