May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2021 was the 129th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BUCTKEPFA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters BUCTKEPFA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1671Thomas Blood, disguised as a clergyman, attempts to steal England’s Crown Jewels from the Tower of London.
- 1864Second War of Schleswig: The Danish navy defeats the Austrian and Prussian fleets in the Battle of Heligoland.
- 1874The first horse-drawn bus makes its début in the city of Mumbai, traveling two routes.
- 1887Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1918World War I: Germans repel the British’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
- 1936Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- 1948Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- 1955Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
- 2004Chechen president Akhmad Kadyrov is killed by a land mine under a VIP stage during a World War II memorial victory parade in Grozny, Chechnya.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1874Howard Carter, British archaeologist (d. 1939)
- 1912Pedro Armendáriz, Mexican actor (d. 1963)
- 1914Denham Fouts, American male prostitute and socialite (d. 1948)
- 1914Hank Snow, American country music singer and songwriter (d. 1999)
- 1918Orville L. Freeman, American politician (d. 2003)
- 1919Arthur English, English actor and comedian (d. 1995)
- 1936Glenda Jackson, English actress and politician
- 1955Kevin Peter Hall, American actor (d. 1991)
- 1962John Corbett, American actor
- 1972Megumi Odaka, Japanese actress and artist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.