May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2019 was the 129th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1671Thomas Blood, disguised as a clergyman, attempts to steal England’s Crown Jewels from the Tower of London.
- 1874The first horse-drawn bus makes its début in the city of Mumbai, traveling two routes.
- 1918World War I: Germans repel the British’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
- 1926Admiral Richard E. Byrd and Floyd Bennett claim to have flown over the North Pole (later discovery of Byrd’s diary seems to indicate that this did not happen).
- 1942Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto (in Belarus) is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.
- 1955Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
- 1961Jim Gentile of the Baltimore Orioles becomes the first player in baseball history to hit grand slams in consecutive innings.
- 1970Vietnam War: In Washington, D.C., 75,000 to 100,000 war protesters demonstrate in front of the White House.
- 1974Watergate Scandal: The United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee opens formal and public impeachment hearings against President Richard Nixon.
- 2002In Kaspiysk, Russia, a remote-controlled bomb explodes during a holiday parade killing 43 and injuring at least 130.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1919Arthur English, English actor and comedian (d. 1995)
- 1928Ralph Goings, American painter
- 1930Joan Sims, British actress (d. 2001)
- 1939Ion Ţiriac, Romanian tennis manager
- 1956Wendy Crewson, Canadian actress
- 1960Tony Gwynn, American baseball player
- 1972Megumi Odaka, Japanese actress and artist
- 1973Chu Sang-mi, South Korean actress
- 1976Christos Marangos, Greek-Cypriot footballer
- 1978Leandro Damián Cufré, Argentine footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.