May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2019 was the 129th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1671Thomas Blood, disguised as a clergyman, attempts to steal England’s Crown Jewels from the Tower of London.
- 1887Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1904The steam locomotive City of Truro becomes the first steam engine in Europe to exceed 100 mph.
- 1911The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio placed by the Vatican in the Index of Forbidden Books.
- 1941World War II: The German submarine U-110 is captured by the Royal Navy. On board is the latest Enigma cryptography machine which Allied cryptographers later use to break coded German messages.
- 1945World War II: The Channel Islands are liberated by the British after five years of German occupation.
- 1969Carlos Lamarca leads the first urban guerrilla action against the military dictatorship of Brazil in São Paulo, by robbing two banks.
- 1980In Norco, California, five masked gunman hold up a Security Pacific bank, leading to a violent shoot-out and one of the largest pursuits in California history. Two of the gunmen and one police officer are killed and thirty-three police and civilian vehicles are destroyed in the chase.
- 2004Chechen president Akhmad Kadyrov is killed by a land mine under a VIP stage during a World War II memorial victory parade in Grozny, Chechnya.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1919Arthur English, English actor and comedian (d. 1995)
- 1921Mona Van Duyn, American poet (d. 2004)
- 1923Johnny Grant, American radio personality, television producer (d. 2008)
- 1942Jerry Buchek, American baseball players
- 1973Chu Sang-mi, South Korean actress
- 1977Iñigo Landaluze, Spanish cyclist
- 1978Aaron Harang, American baseball player
- 1978Santiago Dellapè, Argentine-born Italian rugby player
- 1983Tyler Lumsden, American baseball player
- 1984Prince Fielder, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.