May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2020 was the 130th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Geoffrey’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1873Der Krach: Vienna stock market crash heralds the Long Depression.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1920Polish-Soviet War: The Polish army under General Edward Rydz-Śmigły celebrates its capture of Kiev with a victory parade on Khreschatyk.
- 1926Admiral Richard E. Byrd and Floyd Bennett claim to have flown over the North Pole (later discovery of Byrd’s diary seems to indicate that this did not happen).
- 1945World War II: The Channel Islands are liberated by the British after five years of German occupation.
- 1946King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy abdicates and is succeeded by Humbert II.
- 1950Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the “Schuman declaration”, is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- 1955Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
- 1964Ngo Dinh Can, de facto ruler of central Vietnam under his brother President Ngo Dinh Diem before the family’s toppling, is executed.
- 1980In Norco, California, five masked gunman hold up a Security Pacific bank, leading to a violent shoot-out and one of the largest pursuits in California history. Two of the gunmen and one police officer are killed and thirty-three police and civilian vehicles are destroyed in the chase.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1937David Prater, American singer (Sam & Dave) (d. 1988)
- 1946Candice Bergen, American actress
- 1950Tom Petersson, American bass guitarist (Cheap Trick)
- 1965Janu Tornell, American model and Survivor contestant
- 1965Steve Yzerman, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1966Mark Tinordi, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1971Paul McGuigan, English bassist (Oasis)
- 1979Brandon Webb, American baseball player
- 1985Jake Long, American football player
- 1997Zane Huett, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.