May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2019 is the 129th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1092Lincoln Cathedral is consecrated.
- 1671Thomas Blood, disguised as a clergyman, attempts to steal England’s Crown Jewels from the Tower of London.
- 1726Five men arrested during a raid on Mother Clap’s molly house in London are executed at Tyburn.
- 1877A magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of Peru kills 2,541, including some as far away as Hawaii and Japan.
- 1877Mihail Kogălniceanu reads, in the Chamber of Deputies, the Declaration of Independence of Romania. This day became the Independence Day of Romania.
- 1911The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio placed by the Vatican in the Index of Forbidden Books.
- 1918World War I: Germans repel the British’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
- 1945World War II: The Channel Islands are liberated by the British after five years of German occupation.
- 1969Carlos Lamarca leads the first urban guerrilla action against the military dictatorship of Brazil in São Paulo, by robbing two banks.
- 2006Estonia ratifies the European Constitution.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1147Minamoto no Yoritomo, Japanese shogun (d. 1199)
- 1914Denham Fouts, American male prostitute and socialite (d. 1948)
- 1929Kay Dotrice, British actress (d. 2007)
- 1933Jessica Steele, English romance novelist
- 1938Charles Simic, Yugoslavian-born poet, 15th Poet Laureate of the United States
- 1939Ralph Boston, American athlete
- 1979Dionysis Boukouvalas, Greek composer, pianist and musicologist
- 1981Bill Murphy, American baseball player
- 1985Henrique, Brazilian soccer player
- 1993Ryosuke Yamada, Japanese actor and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.