May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2023 was the 129th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AORTRILO? Check your answers here: Word search AORTRILO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 328Athanasius is elected Patriarch bishop of Alexandria.
- 1873Der Krach: Vienna stock market crash heralds the Long Depression.
- 1936Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- 1940World War II: The German submarine U-9 sinks the French coastal submarine Doris near Den Helder.
- 1946King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy abdicates and is succeeded by Humbert II.
- 1960The Food and Drug Administration announces it will approve birth control as an additional indication for Searle’s Enovid, making Enovid the world’s first approved oral contraceptive pill.
- 1979Iranian Jewish businessman Habib Elghanian is executed by firing squad in Tehran, prompting the mass exodus of the once 100,000 member strong Jewish community of Iran.
- 1980In Florida, Liberian freighter MV Summit Venture collides with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, making a 1,400-ft. section of the southbound span collapse. 35 people in six cars and a Greyhound bus fall 150 ft. into the water and die.
- 2001In Ghana 129 football fans die in what became known as the Accra Sports Stadium Disaster. The deaths are caused by a stampede (caused by the firing of teargas by police personnel at the stadium) that followed a controversial decision by the referee.
- 2004Chechen president Akhmad Kadyrov is killed by a land mine under a VIP stage during a World War II memorial victory parade in Grozny, Chechnya.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1893William Moulton Marston, American psychologist, writer (co-creator, Wonder Woman) (d. 1947)
- 1909Don Messer, Canadian country musician (d. 1973)
- 1932Geraldine McEwan, English actress
- 1933Jessica Steele, English romance novelist
- 1934Alan Bennett, British author
- 1939Pierre Desproges, French humorist (d. 1988)
- 1946Candice Bergen, American actress
- 1962John Corbett, American actor
- 1981Bill Murphy, American baseball player
- 1993Ryosuke Yamada, Japanese actor and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.