May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2019 is the 129th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1864Second War of Schleswig: The Danish navy defeats the Austrian and Prussian fleets in the Battle of Heligoland.
- 1877A magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of Peru kills 2,541, including some as far away as Hawaii and Japan.
- 1877Mihail Kogălniceanu reads, in the Chamber of Deputies, the Declaration of Independence of Romania. This day became the Independence Day of Romania.
- 1918World War I: Germans repel the British’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
- 1936Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- 1948Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- 1949Rainier III of Monaco becomes Prince of Monaco.
- 1950Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the “Schuman declaration”, is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- 1960The Food and Drug Administration announces it will approve birth control as an additional indication for Searle’s Enovid, making Enovid the world’s first approved oral contraceptive pill.
- 2002The 38-day stand-off in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem comes to an end when the Palestinians inside agree to have 13 suspected terrorists among them deported to several different countries.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1801Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood, English Member of Parliament and developer (d. 1866)
- 1837Adam Opel, German engineer and industrialist (d. 1895)
- 1919Arthur English, English actor and comedian (d. 1995)
- 1920William Tenn, American author (d. 2010)
- 1944Laurence Owen, American figure skater (d. 1961)
- 1948Hans Georg Bock, German mathematician
- 1955Kevin Peter Hall, American actor (d. 1991)
- 1970Doug Christie, American basketball player
- 1972Daniela Silivaş, Romanian gymnast and Olympic Champion
- 1977Maggie Dixon, American college basketball coach (d. 2006)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.