May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2020 is the 130th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Gladys’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1450'Abd al-Latif (Timurid monarch) is assassinated.
- 1874The first horse-drawn bus makes its début in the city of Mumbai, traveling two routes.
- 1887Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1911The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio placed by the Vatican in the Index of Forbidden Books.
- 1918World War I: Germans repel the British’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
- 1927The Australian Parliament first convenes in Canberra.
- 1936Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- 1955Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
- 1960The Food and Drug Administration announces it will approve birth control as an additional indication for Searle’s Enovid, making Enovid the world’s first approved oral contraceptive pill.
- 1980In Florida, Liberian freighter MV Summit Venture collides with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, making a 1,400-ft. section of the southbound span collapse. 35 people in six cars and a Greyhound bus fall 150 ft. into the water and die.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1837Adam Opel, German engineer and industrialist (d. 1895)
- 1895Lucian Blaga, Romanian poet, playwright, and philosopher (d. 1961)
- 1907Baldur von Schirach, Nazi official (d. 1974)
- 1928Barbara Ann Scott, Canadian figure skater
- 1928Pancho Gonzales, American tennis player (d. 1995)
- 1941Pete Birrell, British bass guitarist
- 1951Alley Mills, American actress
- 1953Amy Hill, American actress
- 1965Ken Nomura, Japanese racing driver
- 1971Paul McGuigan, English bassist (Oasis)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.