May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2021 is the 129th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AGTCYKXPAOEI? Check your answers here: Word search AGTCYKXPAOEI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1887Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1911The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio placed by the Vatican in the Index of Forbidden Books.
- 1942Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto (in Belarus) is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.
- 1945World War II: The Channel Islands are liberated by the British after five years of German occupation.
- 1955Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
- 1960The Food and Drug Administration announces it will approve birth control as an additional indication for Searle’s Enovid, making Enovid the world’s first approved oral contraceptive pill.
- 1970Vietnam War: In Washington, D.C., 75,000 to 100,000 war protesters demonstrate in front of the White House.
- 1974Watergate Scandal: The United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee opens formal and public impeachment hearings against President Richard Nixon.
- 1980In Florida, Liberian freighter MV Summit Venture collides with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, making a 1,400-ft. section of the southbound span collapse. 35 people in six cars and a Greyhound bus fall 150 ft. into the water and die.
- 1992Armenian forces capture Shusha, marking a major turning point in the Karabakh War.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1882Henry J. Kaiser, American shipbuilder (d. 1967)
- 1918Mike Wallace, American journalist
- 1936Albert Finney, British actor
- 1946Candice Bergen, American actress
- 1956Wendy Crewson, Canadian actress
- 1971Paul McGuigan, English bassist (Oasis)
- 1977Choi Jeong-yoon, South Korean actress
- 1981Yu Yokoyama, Japanese actor and singer
- 1983Gilles Müller, Luxembourgian tennis player
- 1983Tyler Lumsden, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.