May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2020 was the 130th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AZEIKW? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters AZEIKW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1864Second War of Schleswig: The Danish navy defeats the Austrian and Prussian fleets in the Battle of Heligoland.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1915World War I: Second Battle of Artois between German and French forces.
- 1920Polish-Soviet War: The Polish army under General Edward Rydz-Śmigły celebrates its capture of Kiev with a victory parade on Khreschatyk.
- 1927The Australian Parliament first convenes in Canberra.
- 1940World War II: The German submarine U-9 sinks the French coastal submarine Doris near Den Helder.
- 1942Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto (in Belarus) is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.
- 1948Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- 1979Iranian Jewish businessman Habib Elghanian is executed by firing squad in Tehran, prompting the mass exodus of the once 100,000 member strong Jewish community of Iran.
- 1987A Polish LOT Ilyushin IL-62M “Tadeusz Kościuszko” (SP-LBG) crashes after takeoff in Warsaw, Poland, killing 183 people.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1874Howard Carter, British archaeologist (d. 1939)
- 1914Denham Fouts, American male prostitute and socialite (d. 1948)
- 1943Vince Cable, British politician
- 1950Tom Petersson, American bass guitarist (Cheap Trick)
- 1962Dave Gahan, English singer (Depeche Mode)
- 1971Paul McGuigan, English bassist (Oasis)
- 1978Santiago Dellapè, Argentine-born Italian rugby player
- 1979Rosario Dawson, American actress
- 1981Bill Murphy, American baseball player
- 1985Henrique, Brazilian soccer player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.