May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2022 was the 129th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UQANVOFH? Check your answers here: Word finder UQANVOFH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 328Athanasius is elected Patriarch bishop of Alexandria.
- 1904The steam locomotive City of Truro becomes the first steam engine in Europe to exceed 100 mph.
- 1920Polish-Soviet War: The Polish army under General Edward Rydz-Śmigły celebrates its capture of Kiev with a victory parade on Khreschatyk.
- 1941World War II: The German submarine U-110 is captured by the Royal Navy. On board is the latest Enigma cryptography machine which Allied cryptographers later use to break coded German messages.
- 1942Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto (in Belarus) is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.
- 1948Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- 1961Jim Gentile of the Baltimore Orioles becomes the first player in baseball history to hit grand slams in consecutive innings.
- 1980In Florida, Liberian freighter MV Summit Venture collides with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, making a 1,400-ft. section of the southbound span collapse. 35 people in six cars and a Greyhound bus fall 150 ft. into the water and die.
- 1980In Norco, California, five masked gunman hold up a Security Pacific bank, leading to a violent shoot-out and one of the largest pursuits in California history. Two of the gunmen and one police officer are killed and thirty-three police and civilian vehicles are destroyed in the chase.
- 1987A Polish LOT Ilyushin IL-62M “Tadeusz Kościuszko” (SP-LBG) crashes after takeoff in Warsaw, Poland, killing 183 people.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1895Richard Barthelmess, American actor (d. 1963)
- 1907Fred Warngård, Swedish athlete (d. 1950)
- 1909Don Messer, Canadian country musician (d. 1973)
- 1918Mike Wallace, American journalist
- 1921Daniel Berrigan, American peace activist
- 1933Jessica Steele, English romance novelist
- 1943Vince Cable, British politician
- 1974Dylan Lauren,American businesswoman & daughter of fashion designer Ralph Lauren
- 1975Lane Kiffin, American football coach
- 1981Bill Murphy, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.