May 9: Day of the Week
May 9, 2021 is the 129th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 236 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kyle’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1092Lincoln Cathedral is consecrated.
- 1936Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- 1945World War II: Ratification in Berlin-Karlshorst of the German unconditional surrender of May 8 in Rheims, France, with the signatures of Marshal Georgy Zhukov for the Soviet Union, and for the Western Headquarters Sir Arthur Tedder, British Air Marshal and Eisenhower’s deputy, and for the German side of Colonel-General Hans-Jürgen Stumpff as the representative of the Luftwaffe, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel as the Chief of Staff of OKW, and Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg as Commander-in-Chief of the Kriegsmarine.
- 1949Rainier III of Monaco becomes Prince of Monaco.
- 1950Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the “Schuman declaration”, is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- 1969Carlos Lamarca leads the first urban guerrilla action against the military dictatorship of Brazil in São Paulo, by robbing two banks.
- 1970Vietnam War: In Washington, D.C., 75,000 to 100,000 war protesters demonstrate in front of the White House.
- 1980In Florida, Liberian freighter MV Summit Venture collides with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, making a 1,400-ft. section of the southbound span collapse. 35 people in six cars and a Greyhound bus fall 150 ft. into the water and die.
- 1987A Polish LOT Ilyushin IL-62M “Tadeusz Kościuszko” (SP-LBG) crashes after takeoff in Warsaw, Poland, killing 183 people.
- 1992Armenian forces capture Shusha, marking a major turning point in the Karabakh War.
Who were born on May 9?
- 1741Giovanni Paisiello, Italian composer (d. 1816)
- 1883José Ortega y Gasset, Spanish philosopher (d. 1955)
- 1912Pedro Armendáriz, Mexican actor (d. 1963)
- 1943Vince Cable, British politician
- 1953Bruno Brokken, Belgian high jumper
- 1955Anne Sofie von Otter, Swedish mezzo-soprano
- 1955Kevin Peter Hall, American actor (d. 1991)
- 1956Wendy Crewson, Canadian actress
- 1971Paul McGuigan, English bassist (Oasis)
- 1988John Ryan Fitzpatrick, Canadian race truck driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.