November 17: Day of the Week
November 17, 2018 was the 321st day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 44 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Scorpio horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
November 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1558Elizabethan era begins: Queen Mary I of England dies and is succeeded by her half-sister Elizabeth I of England.
- 1796Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Arcole – French forces defeat the Austrians in Italy.
- 1810Sweden declares war on its ally the United Kingdom to begin the Anglo-Swedish War, although no fighting ever takes place.
- 1811José Miguel Carrera, Chilean founding father, is sworn in as President of the executive Junta of the government of Chile.
- 1820Captain Nathaniel Palmer becomes the first American to see Antarctica (the Palmer Peninsula is later named after him).
- 1869In Egypt, the Suez Canal, linking the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea, is inaugurated.
- 1903The Russian Social Democratic Labor Party splits into two groups; the Bolsheviks (Russian for “majority”) and Mensheviks (Russian for “minority”).
- 1939Nine Czech students are executed as a response to anti-Nazi demonstrations prompted by the death of Jan Opletal. In addition, all Czech universities are shut down and over 1200 Czech students sent to concentration camps. Since this event, International Students’ Day is celebrated in many countries, especially in the Czech Republic.
- 1957Vickers Viscount G-AOHP of British European Airways crashes at Ballerup after the failure of three engines on approach to Copenhagen Airport. The cause is a malfunction of the anti-icing system on the aircraft.
- 1973The Athens Polytechnic Uprising against the military regime ends in a bloodshed in the Greek capital.
Who were born on November 17?
- 1816August Wilhelm Ambros, Austrian composer (d. 1876)
- 1906Rollie Stiles, American baseball player (d. 2007)
- 1911Christian Fouchet, French diplomat (d. 1974)
- 1927Robert Brown, American actor
- 1942Kang Kek Iew, Cambodian politician and criminal
- 1966Ben Allison, American jazz bassist and composer
- 1966Daisy Fuentes, Cuban model and actress
- 1982Yusuf Pathan, Indian cricketer
- 1986Fabio Concas, Italian footballer
- 1986Luis Aguiar, Uruguayan footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.