November 17: Day of the Week
November 17, 2019 was the 321st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 44 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Bennie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
November 17 Historical Event(s)
- 473The future Leo II is named associate emperor by Leo I.
- 1603English explorer, writer and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason.
- 1812Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Krasnoi.
- 1855David Livingstone becomes the first European to see the Victoria Falls in what is now present-day Zambia-Zimbabwe.
- 1869In Egypt, the Suez Canal, linking the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea, is inaugurated.
- 1911Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Incorporated, which is the first black Greek-lettered organization founded at an HBCU, was founded on the campus of Howard University in Washington,DC.
- 1947American scientists John Bardeen and Walter Brattain observe the basic principles of the transistor, a key element for the electronics revolution of the 20th Century.
- 1968Viewers of the Raiders–Jets football game in the eastern United States are denied the opportunity to watch its exciting finish when NBC broadcasts Heidi instead, prompting changes to sports broadcasting in the U.S.
- 2000A catastrophic landslide in Log pod Mangartom, Slovenia, kills 7, and causes millions of SIT of damage. It is one of the worst catastrophes in Slovenia in the past 100 years.
- 2009Administrators at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia discover their servers had been hacked and thousands of emails and files on climate change had been stolen, which would serve as the basis of the “Climategate” controversy.
Who were born on November 17?
- 1895Mikhail Bakhtin, Russian philosopher (d. 1975)
- 1905Queen Astrid of the Belgians (d. 1935)
- 1936Dahlia Ravikovitch, Israeli poet (d. 2005)
- 1937Peter Cook, British comedian (d. 1995)
- 1942Martin Scorsese, American film director
- 1947Inky Mark, Canadian politician
- 1959Terry Fenwick, English footballer
- 1964Ralph Garman, American actor and radio personality
- 1969Jean-Michel Saive, Belgian table tennis player
- 1980Isaac Hanson, American musician (Hanson)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.