November 17: Day of the Week
November 17, 2019 is the 321st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 44 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
November 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1800The United States Congress holds its first session in Washington, D.C.
- 1811José Miguel Carrera, Chilean founding father, is sworn in as President of the executive Junta of the government of Chile.
- 1839Oberto, Giuseppe Verdi’s first opera, opens at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan,
- 1876Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s Slavonic March is given its première performance in Moscow.
- 1903The Russian Social Democratic Labor Party splits into two groups; the Bolsheviks (Russian for “majority”) and Mensheviks (Russian for “minority”).
- 1922Former Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI goes into exile in Italy.
- 1947American scientists John Bardeen and Walter Brattain observe the basic principles of the transistor, a key element for the electronics revolution of the 20th Century.
- 1957Vickers Viscount G-AOHP of British European Airways crashes at Ballerup after the failure of three engines on approach to Copenhagen Airport. The cause is a malfunction of the anti-icing system on the aircraft.
- 1973The Athens Polytechnic Uprising against the military regime ends in a bloodshed in the Greek capital.
- 2000Alberto Fujimori is removed from office as president of Peru.
Who were born on November 17?
- 1886Walter Terence Stace, British philosopher (d. 1967)
- 1901Walter Hallstein, German politician (d. 1982)
- 1922Stanley Cohen, American biochemist, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 1927Robert Drasnin, American musician and composer
- 1944Tom Seaver, American baseball player
- 1950Tom Walkinshaw, Scottish race car driver and race team owner (d. 2010)
- 1960Mandy Yachad, former South African cricketer
- 1978Reggie Wayne, American football player
- 1981Sarah Harding, English singer (Girls Aloud)
- 1982Lucy Durack, Australian Singer/Performer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.