November 17: Day of the Week
November 17, 2023 is the 321st day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 44 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PEMKECNIQI? Check your answers here: Word search PEMKECNIQI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
November 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1183The Battle of Mizushima.
- 1659The Peace of the Pyrenees is signed between France and Spain.
- 1812Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Krasnoi.
- 1855David Livingstone becomes the first European to see the Victoria Falls in what is now present-day Zambia-Zimbabwe.
- 1871The National Rifle Association is granted a charter by the state of New York.
- 1939Nine Czech students are executed as a response to anti-Nazi demonstrations prompted by the death of Jan Opletal. In addition, all Czech universities are shut down and over 1200 Czech students sent to concentration camps. Since this event, International Students’ Day is celebrated in many countries, especially in the Czech Republic.
- 1947American scientists John Bardeen and Walter Brattain observe the basic principles of the transistor, a key element for the electronics revolution of the 20th Century.
- 1967Vietnam War: Acting on optimistic reports that he had been given on November 13, US President Lyndon B. Johnson tells the nation that, while much remained to be done, “We are inflicting greater losses than we're taking..We are making progress.”
- 1973Watergate scandal: In Orlando, Florida, US President Richard Nixon tells 400 Associated Press managing editors “I am not a crook”.
- 1983The Zapatista Army of National Liberation is founded in Mexico.
Who were born on November 17?
- 1612Dorgon, Manchu prince (d. 1650)
- 1866Voltairine de Cleyre, American anarchist (d. 1912)
- 1945Elvin Hayes, American basketball player
- 1946Terry E. Branstad, Governor of Iowa
- 1962Dédé Fortin, Canadian singer (Les Colocs) (d. 2000)
- 1968Sean Miller, American basketball coach
- 1972Kimya Dawson, American singer
- 1974Leslie Bibb, American actress
- 1975Lord Infamous, Rapper
- 1976Diane Neal, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.