November 17: Day of the Week
November 17, 2020 is the 322nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 44 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Brayden’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
November 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1863American Civil War: Siege of Knoxville begins – Confederate forces led by General James Longstreet place Knoxville, Tennessee under siege.
- 1869In Egypt, the Suez Canal, linking the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea, is inaugurated.
- 1903The Russian Social Democratic Labor Party splits into two groups; the Bolsheviks (Russian for “majority”) and Mensheviks (Russian for “minority”).
- 1947The Screen Actors Guild implements an anti-Communist loyalty oath.
- 1957Vickers Viscount G-AOHP of British European Airways crashes at Ballerup after the failure of three engines on approach to Copenhagen Airport. The cause is a malfunction of the anti-icing system on the aircraft.
- 1968Alexandros Panagoulis is condemned to death for attempting to assassinate Greek dictator George Papadopoulos.
- 1970Luna program: The Soviet Union lands Lunokhod 1 on Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains) on the Moon. This is the first roving remote-controlled robot to land on another world and is released by the orbiting Luna 17 spacecraft.
- 1973Watergate scandal: In Orlando, Florida, US President Richard Nixon tells 400 Associated Press managing editors “I am not a crook”.
- 1989Cold War: Velvet Revolution begins: In Czechoslovakia, a student demonstration in Prague is quelled by riot police. This sparks an uprising aimed at overthrowing the communist government (it succeeds on December 29).
- 2009Administrators at the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia discover their servers had been hacked and thousands of emails and files on climate change had been stolen, which would serve as the basis of the “Climategate” controversy.
Who were born on November 17?
- 1503Agnolo di Cosimo, Italian painter (d. 1572)
- 1587Joost van den Vondel, Dutch poet (d. 1679)
- 1827Petko Slavejkov, Bulgarian writer (d. 1895)
- 1902Eugene Wigner, Hungarian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1995)
- 1925Charles Mackerras, Australian-born conductor (d. 2010)
- 1956Graham Jones, British author and psychologist
- 1960Michael Hertwig, German footballer
- 1973Andreas “Vintersorg” Hedlund, Swedish singer (Vintersorg)
- 1974Leslie Bibb, American actress
- 1983Trevor Crowe, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.