November 18: Day of the Week
November 18, 2019 was the 322nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 43 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Vicki’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
November 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1493Christopher Columbus first sights the island now known as Puerto Rico.
- 1601Tiryaki Hasan Pasha, provincial governor of Ottoman Empire, utterly defeats Habsburg forces, commanded by Ferdinand the Archduke of Austria during the Siege of Nagykanizsa.
- 1803The Battle of Vertières, the last major battle of the Haitian Revolution, is fought, leading to the establishment of the Republic of Haiti, the first black republic in the Western Hemisphere.
- 1809In a naval action during the Napoleonic Wars, French frigates defeat British East Indiamen in the Bay of Bengal.
- 1865Mark Twain’s short story The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County is published in the New York Saturday Press.
- 1930Sōka Kyōiku Gakkai, a Buddhist association later renamed Sōka Gakkai, is founded by Japanese educators Tsunesaburo Makiguchi and Josei Toda.
- 1949The Iva Valley Shooting occurs after the coal miners of Enugu in Nigeria go on strike over withheld wages; 21 miners are shot dead and 51 are wounded by police under the supervision of the British colonial administration of Nigeria.
- 1961United States President John F. Kennedy sends 18,000 military advisors to South Vietnam.
- 1987Iran-Contra Affair: the U.S. Congress issues its final report on the Iran-Contra Affair.
- 1993In the United States, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is ratified by the House of Representatives.
Who were born on November 18?
- 1899Eugene Ormandy, Hungarian-born American violinist and conductor (d. 1985)
- 1907Compay Segundo, Cuban guitarist, singer and composer (Buena Vista Social Club) (d. 2003)
- 1908Imogene Coca, American actress and comedian (d. 2001)
- 1941David Hemmings, British actor (d. 2003)
- 1950Eric Pierpoint, American actor
- 1952Claudio Capone, Italian-born Scottish voice actor (d. 2008)
- 1953Kevin Nealon, American comedian and actor
- 1968Barry Hunter, Northern Irish footballer and manager
- 1972Jeroen Straathof, Dutch skater
- 1981Nasim Pedrad, Iranian-born American comedienne
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.