November 19: Day of the Week
November 19, 2023 is the 323rd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 42 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters FGAUSMQSU? Check your answers here: Word finder FGAUSMQSU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
November 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1493Christopher Columbus goes ashore on an island he first saw the day before. He names it San Juan Bautista (later renamed Puerto Rico).
- 1816Warsaw University is established.
- 1911The Doom Bar in Cornwall claimed two ships, Island Maid and Angele, the latter killing the entire crew except the captain.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Stalingrad – Soviet Union forces under General Georgy Zhukov launch the Operation Uranus counterattacks at Stalingrad, turning the tide of the battle in the USSR’s favor.
- 1944World War II: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt announces the 6th War Loan Drive, aimed at selling US$14 billion in war bonds to help pay for the war effort.
- 1959The Ford Motor Company announces the discontinuation of the unpopular Edsel.
- 1985Pennzoil wins a US$10.53 billion judgment against Texaco, in the largest civil verdict in the history of the United States, stemming from Texaco executing a contract to buy Getty Oil after Pennzoil had entered into an unsigned, yet still binding, buyout contract with Getty.
- 1990Pop group Milli Vanilli are stripped of their Grammy Award because the duo did not sing at all on the Girl You Know It’s True album. Session musicians had provided all the vocals.
- 2002The Greek oil tanker Prestige splits in half and sinks off the coast of Galicia, releasing over 20 million US gallons (76,000 m³) of oil in the largest environmental disaster in Spanish and Portuguese history.
- 2010The first of four explosions takes place at the Pike River Mine in New Zealand; 29 people are killed in the nation’s worst mining disaster since 1914.
Who were born on November 19?
- 1899Allen Tate, American poet and critic (d. 1979)
- 1900Anna Seghers, German writer (d. 1983)
- 1915Earl Wilbur Sutherland Jr., American physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1974)
- 1917Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India (d. 1984)
- 1936Yuan T. Lee, Taiwanese-born chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1947Bob Boone, American baseball player and manager
- 1949Nigel Bennett, English actor
- 1958Michael Wilbon, sports analyst
- 1965Douglas Henshall, Scottish actor
- 1969Richard Virenque, French cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.