November 20: Day of the Week
November 20, 2019 is the 324th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 41 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
November 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1695Zumbi, the last of the leaders of Quilombo dos Palmares in early Brazil, is executed.
- 1820An 80-ton sperm whale attacks the Essex (a whaling ship from Nantucket, Massachusetts) 2,000 miles from the western coast of South America (Herman Melville’s 1851 novel Moby-Dick is in part inspired by this story).
- 1861American Civil War: Secession ordinance is filed by Kentucky’s Confederate government.
- 1940World War II: Hungary becomes a signatory of the Tripartite Pact, officially joining the Axis Powers.
- 1943World War II: Battle of Tarawa (Operation Galvanic) begins – United States Marines land on Tarawa Atoll in the Gilbert Islands and suffer heavy fire from Japanese shore guns and machine guns.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis ends: In response to the Soviet Union agreeing to remove its missiles from Cuba, U.S. President John F. Kennedy ends the quarantine of the Caribbean nation.
- 1974The United States Department of Justice files its final anti-trust suit against AT&T. This suit later leads to the breakup of AT&T and its Bell System.
- 1985Microsoft Windows 1.0 is released.
- 1993Savings and loan crisis: The United States Senate Ethics Committee issues a stern censure of California senator Alan Cranston for his “dealings” with savings-and-loan executive Charles Keating.
- 1998The first module of the International Space Station, Zarya, is launched.
Who were born on November 20?
- 1892James Collip, Canadian biochemist, co-discoverer of insulin (d. 1965)
- 1913Kostas Choumis, Greek footballer (d. 1981)
- 1921Jim Garrison, American attorney and judge (d. 1992)
- 1937René Kollo, German tenor
- 1941Haseena Moin, Pakistani television writer and playwright
- 1967Teoman, Turkish rock singer
- 1976Jason Thompson, Canadian actor
- 1985Juan Cruz Álvarez, Argentine racing driver
- 1986Oli Sykes, English musician
- 1995Mariko Hill, International cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.