November 21: Day of the Week
November 21, 2023 was the 325th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 40 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Perry’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
November 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1861American Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis appoints Judah Benjamin secretary of war.
- 1916World War I: A mine explodes and sinks HMHS Britannic in the Aegean Sea, killing 30 people.
- 1918A pogrom takes place in Lwów (now Lviv); over three days, at least 50 Jews and 270 Ukrainian Christians are killed by Poles.
- 1927Columbine Mine Massacre: Striking coal miners are allegedly attacked with machine guns by a detachment of state police dressed in civilian clothes.
- 1942The completion of the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway) is celebrated (however, the highway is not usable by general vehicles until 1943).
- 1959American disc jockey Alan Freed, who had popularized the term “rock and roll” and music of that style, is fired from WABC-AM radio for refusing to deny allegations that he had participated in the payola scandal.
- 1964Second Vatican Council: The third session of the Roman Catholic Church’s ecumenical council closes.
- 1977Minister of Internal Affairs Allan Highet announces that 'the national anthems of New Zealand shall be the traditional anthem “God Save the Queen” and the poem “God Defend New Zealand”, written by Thomas Bracken, as set to music by John Joseph Woods, both being of equal status as national anthems appropriate to the occasion.
- 1986Iran-Contra Affair: National Security Council member Oliver North and his secretary start to shred documents implicating them in the sale of weapons to Iran and channeling the proceeds to help fund the Contra rebels in Nicaragua.
- 1996Antonio Salinass in San Juan, Puerto Rico kills 33.
Who were born on November 21?
- 1761Dorothea Jordan, British actress (d. 1816)
- 1913Roy Boulting, British film director (d. 2001)
- 1916Sid Luckman, American football player (d. 1998)
- 1921Joonas Kokkonen, Finnish composer (d. 1996)
- 1929Marilyn French, American feminist writer (d. 2009)
- 1944Harold Ramis, American actor/director
- 1966Evgeny Bareev, Russian chess Grandmaster
- 1972David Tua, Samoan boxer
- 1984Jena Malone, American actress
- 1993Elena Myers, American motorcycle racer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.