November 8: Day of the Week
November 8, 2019 is the 312nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 53 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Martha’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
November 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1520Stockholm Bloodbath begins: A successful invasion of Sweden by Danish forces results in the execution of around 100 people.
- 1576Eighty Years’ War: Pacification of Ghent – The States-General of the Netherlands meet and unite to oppose Spanish occupation.
- 1620The Battle of White Mountain takes place near Prague, ending in a decisive Catholic victory in only two hours.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Trent Affair” – The USS San Jacinto stops the United Kingdom mail ship Trent and arrests two Confederate envoys, sparking a diplomatic crisis between the UK and US.
- 1892The New Orleans general strike begins, uniting black and white American trade unionists in a successful four-day general strike action for the first time.
- 1901Bloody clashes take place in Athens following the translation of the Gospels into demotic Greek.
- 1936Spanish Civil War: Francoist troops fail in their effort to capture Madrid, but begin the 3-year Siege of Madrid afterwards.
- 1960John F. Kennedy defeats Richard Nixon in one of the closest presidential elections of the twentieth century to become the 35th president of the United States.
- 1965The Murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) Act 1965 is given Royal Assent, formally abolishing the death penalty in the United Kingdom.
- 1966Former Massachusetts Attorney General Edward Brooke becomes the first African American elected to the United States Senate since Reconstruction.
Who were born on November 8?
- 1788Mihály Bertalanits Slovene poet and teacher in Kingdom of Hungary (d. 1853)
- 1847Bram Stoker, Irish novelist (d. 1912)
- 1884Hermann Rorschach, Swiss psychiatrist (d. 1922)
- 1922Ademir Marques de Menezes, Brazilian footballer (d. 1996)
- 1953Giorgos Foiros, Greek footballer and football manager
- 1954Rickie Lee Jones, American singer
- 1966Urmas Välbe, Estonian cross-country skier
- 1967Courtney Thorne-Smith, American actress
- 1972Gretchen Mol, American actress
- 1978Júlio Sérgio Bertagnoli, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.