October 1: Day of the Week
October 1, 2021 is the 274th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 91 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OFWADIPSJUR? Check your answers here: Word solver OFWADIPSJUR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1800Spain cedes Louisiana to France via the Treaty of San Ildefonso.
- 1847German inventor and industrialist Werner von Siemens founds Siemens AG & Halske.
- 1854The watch company founded in 1850 in Roxbury by Aaron Lufkin Dennison relocates to Waltham, Massachusetts, to become the Waltham Watch Company, a pioneer in the American system of watch manufacturing.
- 1880John Philip Sousa becomes leader of the United States Marine Band.
- 1891In the U.S. state of California, Stanford University opens its doors.
- 1942First flight of the Bell XP-59 “Aircomet”.
- 1961East and West Cameroon merge to form the Federal Republic of Cameroon.
- 1965General Suharto rises to power after a coup that alleged to the Communist Party of Indonesia. In response, Suharto and his army massacre over a million Indonesians suspected of being communists. The killings of 7 army officers happened in the early hours of 1 October 1965.
- 1985The Israeli air force bombs PLO Headquarters in Tunis.
- 1989Denmark introduces the world’s first legal modern same-sex civil union called “registered partnership”.
Who were born on October 1?
- 1644Alessandro Stradella, Italian composer (d. 1682)
- 1900Tom Goddard, English cricketer (d. 1966)
- 1922Kim Ki-young, South Korean film director (d. 1998)
- 1945Donny Hathaway, American soul musician and composer (d. 1979)
- 1953Grete Waitz, Norwegian athlete (d. 2011)
- 1964Harry Hill, British comedian
- 1976Antonio Roybal, American painter and sculptor
- 1981Tom Donnelly, New Zealand rugby player
- 1984Matt Cain, American baseball player
- 1987Hiroki Aiba, Japanese actor and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.