October 1: Day of the Week
October 1, 2020 is the 275th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 91 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Bryce’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1811The first steamboat to sail the Mississippi River arrives in New Orléans, Louisiana.
- 1854The watch company founded in 1850 in Roxbury by Aaron Lufkin Dennison relocates to Waltham, Massachusetts, to become the Waltham Watch Company, a pioneer in the American system of watch manufacturing.
- 1903Baseball: The Boston Americans play the Pittsburgh Pirates in the first game of the modern World Series.
- 1920Sir Percy Cox lands in Basra to assume his responsibilities as high commissioner in Iraq.
- 1946Nazi leaders are sentenced at Nuremberg Trials.
- 1966West Coast Airlines Flight 956 crashes with eighteen fatalities and no survivors 5.5 miles south of Wemme, Oregon. This accident marks the first loss of a DC-9.
- 1971Walt Disney World opens near Orlando, Florida, United States.
- 1975Thrilla in Manila: Muhammad Ali defeats Joe Frazier in a boxing match in Manila, Philippines.
- 1991The Siege of Dubrovnik begins
- 2009The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom takes over the judicial functions of the House of Lords.
Who were born on October 1?
- 1885Louis Untermeyer, American author (d. 1977)
- 1925Bob Boyd, American baseball player (d. 2004)
- 1928George Peppard, American actor (d. 1994)
- 1931Alan Wagner, American opera critic
- 1934Geoff Stephens, British songwriter
- 1945Spider Sabich, American skier (d. 1976)
- 1962Paul Walsh, English footballer
- 1965Chris Reason, Australian journalist
- 1969Zach Galifianakis, American comedian and actor
- 1973Christian Borle, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.