October 10: Day of the Week
October 10, 2023 was the 283rd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 82 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DALNEAEO? Check your answers here: Word solver DALNEAEO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
October 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1913President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike thus ending construction on the Panama Canal.
- 1935A coup d'état by the royalist leadership of the Greek Armed Forces takes place in Athens. It overthrows the government of Panagis Tsaldaris and establishes a regency under Georgios Kondylis, effectively ending the Second Hellenic Republic.
- 1938The Munich Agreement cedes the Sudetenland to Nazi Germany.
- 1942The Soviet Union establishes diplomatic relations with Australia.
- 1957The Windscale fire in Cumbria, U.K. is the world’s first major nuclear accident.
- 1963France cedes control of the Bizerte naval base to Tunisia.
- 1967The Outer Space Treaty, signed on January 27 by more than sixty nations, comes into force.
- 1971Sold, dismantled and moved to the United States, London Bridge reopens in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
- 2008The 10 October 2008 Orakzai bombing kills 110 and injures 200 more.
- 2009Armenia and Turkey sign protocols in Zurich, Switzerland to open their borders.
Who were born on October 10?
- 1885Walter Anderson, German folklorist (d. 1962)
- 1908Mercè Rodoreda, Catalan novelist (d. 1983)
- 1923Louis Gottlieb, bassist and lofty comic spokesman for The Limeliters (d. 1996)
- 1930Eugenio Castellotti, Italian race car driver (d. 1957)
- 1930Yves Chauvin, French chemist, Nobel laureate
- 1961Martin Kemp, British musician (Spandau Ballet) and actor
- 1975Plácido Polanco, Dominican baseball player
- 1978Scott Dobie, Scottish footballer
- 1981Francisco Javier Rodríguez, Mexican footballer
- 1985Dominique Cornu, Belgian professional cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.