October 10: Day of the Week
October 10, 2019 was the 283rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 82 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Asher’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 10 Historical Event(s)
- 732Battle of Tours: Near Poitiers, France, the leader of the Franks, Charles Martel and his men, defeat a large army of Moors, stopping the Muslims from spreading into Western Europe. The governor of Cordoba, Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi, is killed during the battle.
- 1575Battle of Dormans: Roman Catholic forces under Duke Henry of Guise defeat the Protestants, capturing Philippe de Mornay among others.
- 1631A Saxon army takes over Prague.
- 1845In Annapolis, Maryland, the Naval School (later renamed the United States Naval Academy) opens with 50 midshipman students and seven professors.
- 1913President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike thus ending construction on the Panama Canal.
- 1957The Windscale fire in Cumbria, U.K. is the world’s first major nuclear accident.
- 1967The Outer Space Treaty, signed on January 27 by more than sixty nations, comes into force.
- 1970Fiji becomes independent.
- 1972The 1972 Chicago commuter rail crash, killing 48, occurs due to foggy conditions. The accident’s response pushes for changes in Chicago commuter rail, such as brightly colored ends on the cars.
- 1985United States Navy F-14 fighter jets intercept an Egyptian plane carrying the Achille Lauro cruise ship hijackers and force it to land at a NATO base in Sigonella, Sicily where they are arrested.
Who were born on October 10?
- 1830Queen Isabella II of Spain (d. 1904)
- 1923Murray Walker, British motorsport commentator
- 1966Derrick McKey, American basketball player
- 1966Tony Adams, English footballer
- 1969Francis Escudero, Filipino senator
- 1970Dean Kiely, Irish footballer
- 1970Matthew Pinsent, English rower
- 1973Mario López, American actor
- 1973Zach Thornton, American soccer player
- 1978Jodi Lyn O'Keefe, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.