October 11: Day of the Week
October 11, 2021 is the 284th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 81 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Fannie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1614Adriaen Block and 12 Amsterdam merchants petition the States General for exclusive trading rights in the New Netherland colony.
- 1649Sack of Wexford: After a ten-day siege, English New Model Army troops (under Oliver Cromwell) stormed the town of Wexford, killing over 2,000 Irish Confederate troops and 1,500 civilians.
- 1727George II and Caroline of Ansbach are crowned King and Queen of Great Britain.
- 1862American Civil War: In the aftermath of the Battle of Antietam, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart and his men loot Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, during a raid into the north.
- 1899The Western League is renamed the American League.
- 1910Former President Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first U.S. president to fly in an airplane. He flew for four minutes with Arch Hoxsey in a plane built by the Wright Brothers at Kinloch Field (Lambert-St. Louis International Airport), St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Greek Army liberates the city of Kozani.
- 1950Television: CBS’s mechanical color system is the first to be licensed for broadcast by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.
- 1984Aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger, astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan becomes the first American woman to perform a space walk.
- 1986Cold War: U.S. President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev meet in Reykjavík, Iceland, in an effort to continue discussions about scaling back their intermediate missile arsenals in Europe.
Who were born on October 11?
- 1335Taejo of Joseon, ruler of Korea (d. 1408)
- 1661Melchior de Polignac, French diplomat (d. 1742)
- 1885François Mauriac, French author, Nobel laureate (d. 1970)
- 1899Eddie Dyer, American baseball player (d. 1964)
- 1946Oba Chandler, American convicted murderer
- 1953David Morse, American actor
- 1963Prince Faisal bin Al Hussein of Jordan
- 1968Claude Lapointe, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1973Dmitri Young, American baseball player
- 1979Gabe Saporta, Uruguayan-born American musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.