October 11: Day of the Week
October 11, 2020 was the 285th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 81 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YPWNAIYFIWUR? Check your answers here: Word scramble YPWNAIYFIWUR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1634The Burchardi flood – “the second Grote Mandrenke” killed around 15,000 men in North Friesland, Denmark and Germany.
- 1890In Washington, DC, the Daughters of the American Revolution is founded.
- 1910Former President Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first U.S. president to fly in an airplane. He flew for four minutes with Arch Hoxsey in a plane built by the Wright Brothers at Kinloch Field (Lambert-St. Louis International Airport), St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Cape Esperance – On the northwest coast of Guadalcanal, United States Navy ships intercept and defeat a Japanese fleet on their way to reinforce troops on the island.
- 1958Pioneer program: NASA launches the lunar probe Pioneer 1 (the probe falls back to Earth and burns up).
- 1968Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 7, the first successful manned Apollo mission, with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn F. Eisele and Walter Cunningham aboard.
- 1976George Washington’s appointment, posthumously, to the grade of General of the Armies of the United States by congressional joint resolution Public Law 94-479 is approved by President Gerald R. Ford.
- 1986Cold War: U.S. President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev meet in Reykjavík, Iceland, in an effort to continue discussions about scaling back their intermediate missile arsenals in Europe.
- 1996Pala accident: a wood lorry and school bus collide in Jõgeva county, Estonia, killing eight children.
Who were born on October 11?
- 1786Stevenson Archer, American Congressman (d. 1848)
- 1936Tom Zé, Brazilian songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and composer
- 1942Amitabh Bachchan, Indian actor
- 1947Lucas Papademos, Greek economist
- 1948Cecilia, Spanish singer-songwriter (d. 1976)
- 1968Brett Salisbury, American football player and author
- 1969Stephen Moyer, British actor
- 1979Bae Doona, South Korean model and actress
- 1980Nyron Nosworthy, English footballer
- 1993Sean Murray, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.