October 11: Day of the Week
October 11, 2019 was the 284th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 81 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Victoria’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1614Adriaen Block and 12 Amsterdam merchants petition the States General for exclusive trading rights in the New Netherland colony.
- 1649Sack of Wexford: After a ten-day siege, English New Model Army troops (under Oliver Cromwell) stormed the town of Wexford, killing over 2,000 Irish Confederate troops and 1,500 civilians.
- 1833A big demonstration at the gates of the legislature of Buenos Aires forces the ousting of governor Juan Ramón Balcarce and his replacement with Juan José Viamonte.
- 1864Campina Grande, Brazil is established as a city.
- 1954First Indochina War: The Viet Minh take control of North Vietnam.
- 1962Second Vatican Council: Pope John XXIII convenes the first ecumenical council of the Roman Catholic Church in 92 years.
- 1968Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 7, the first successful manned Apollo mission, with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn F. Eisele and Walter Cunningham aboard.
- 1975The NBC sketch comedy/variety show Saturday Night Live debuts with George Carlin as the host and Andy Kaufman, Janis Ian and Billy Preston as guests.
- 1987Start of Operation Pawan by Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka that killed few thousand ethnic Tamil civilians, several hundred Tamil Tigers and few hundred Indian Army soldiers.
- 2002A bomb attack in a shopping mall in Vantaa, Finland kills seven.
Who were born on October 11?
- 1671Frederick IV of Denmark (d. 1730)
- 1895Jakov Gotovac, Croatian composer (d. 1982)
- 1913Joe Simon, American comic book artist and writer (d. 2011)
- 1943Gene Watson, American country singer
- 1948Cecilia, Spanish singer-songwriter (d. 1976)
- 1957Dawn French, Welsh comedian,actress and screenwriter
- 1973Dmitri Young, American baseball player
- 1976Emily Deschanel, American actress
- 1979Andy Douglas, American professional wrestler
- 1984Sergio Hellings, Dutch footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.