October 11: Day of the Week
October 11, 2019 is the 284th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 81 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1811Inventor John Stevens’ boat, the Juliana, begins operation as the first steam-powered ferry (service between New York City, New York, and Hoboken, New Jersey).
- 1833A big demonstration at the gates of the legislature of Buenos Aires forces the ousting of governor Juan Ramón Balcarce and his replacement with Juan José Viamonte.
- 1864Campina Grande, Brazil is established as a city.
- 1929JC Penney opens store #1252 in Milford, Delaware, making it a nationwide company with stores in all 48 U.S. states.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Cape Esperance – On the northwest coast of Guadalcanal, United States Navy ships intercept and defeat a Japanese fleet on their way to reinforce troops on the island.
- 1944Tuvinian People’s Republic or formerly Tannu Tuva is annexed by the U.S.S.R
- 1962Second Vatican Council: Pope John XXIII convenes the first ecumenical council of the Roman Catholic Church in 92 years.
- 1968Apollo program: NASA launches Apollo 7, the first successful manned Apollo mission, with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn F. Eisele and Walter Cunningham aboard.
- 1984Aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger, astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan becomes the first American woman to perform a space walk.
- 1987Start of Operation Pawan by Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka that killed few thousand ethnic Tamil civilians, several hundred Tamil Tigers and few hundred Indian Army soldiers.
Who were born on October 11?
- 1758Heinrich Wilhelm Matthäus Olbers, German astronomer (d. 1840)
- 1844Henry Heinz, American food manufacturer (d. 1916)
- 1872Harlan Fiske Stone, 12th Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1946)
- 1884Sig Ruman, German-American actor (d. 1967)
- 1919Jean Vander Pyl, American voice actress (d. 1999)
- 1932Dottie West, American singer (d. 1991)
- 1952Paulette Carlson, country music singer-songwriter
- 1967Artie Lange, American actor and comedian
- 1970Andy Marriott, English footballer
- 1972Cherokee Parks, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.