October 14: Day of the Week
October 14, 2020 is the 288th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 78 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VTKCAUWNIT? Check your answers here: Words with these letters VTKCAUWNIT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1322Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland’s independence.
- 1586Mary, Queen of Scots, goes on trial for conspiracy against Elizabeth I of England.
- 1656Massachusetts enacts the first punitive legislation against the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). The marriage of church-and-state in Puritanism makes them regard the Quakers as spiritually apostate and politically subversive.
- 1773The first recorded Ministry of Education, the Komisja Edukacji Narodowej (Polish for Commission of National Education), is formed in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1920Part of Petsamo Province is ceded by the Soviet Union to Finland.
- 1964Leonid Brezhnev becomes the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, and thereby, along with his allies - such as Alexei Kosygin - the leader of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR), ousting the former monolithic leader Nikita Khrushchev, and sending him into retirement as a nonperson in the USSR.
- 1968An earthquake rated at 6.8 on the Richter Scale destroys the Australian town of Meckering, Western Australia, and it also ruptures all nearby main highways and railroads.
- 1968The first live telecast from a manned spacecraft, the Apollo 7, launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration of the U.S.A.
- 2004A special nine-member council selects Norodom Sihamoni as the new King of Cambodia, replacing his father who abdicated a week earlier.
- 2006College football brawl between University of Miami and Florida International University leads to suspensions of 31 players of both teams.
Who were born on October 14?
- 1842Joe Start, American baseball player (d. 1927)
- 1882Charlie Parker, English cricketer (d. 1959)
- 1929Yvon Durelle, Canadian boxer (d. 2007)
- 1946Dan McCafferty, Scottish musician (Nazareth)
- 1965Karyn White, American singer
- 1967Sylvain Lefebvre, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1970Pär Zetterberg, Swedish football player
- 1977Kelly Schumacher, Canadian basketball player
- 1978Steven Thompson, Scottish footballer
- 1985Sherlyn, Mexican actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.