October 14: Day of the Week
October 14, 2023 was the 287th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 78 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IQTAIQQPOA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters IQTAIQQPOA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
October 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1806Battle of Jena-Auerstädt France defeats Prussia.
- 1812Work on London’s Regent’s Canal starts.
- 1843The British arrest the Irish nationalist Daniel O'Connell for conspiracy to commit crimes.
- 1884The American inventor, George Eastman, receives a U.S. Government patent on his new paper-strip photographic film.
- 1956Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, the Indian Untouchable caste leader, converts to Buddhism along with 385,000 of his followers (see Neo-Buddhism).
- 1968The first live telecast from a manned spacecraft, the Apollo 7, launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration of the U.S.A.
- 1968Vietnam War: 27 soldiers are arrested at the Presidio of San Francisco in California for their peaceful protest of stockade conditions and the Vietnam War.
- 1979The first Gay Rights March on Washington, D.C., the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, demands “an end to all social, economic, judicial, and legal oppression of lesbian and gay people”, and draws 200,000 people.
- 1994The Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, The Prime Minister of Israel, Yitzhak Rabin, and the Foreign Minister of Israel, Shimon Peres, receive the Nobel Peace Prize for their role in the establishment of the Oslo Accords and the framing of the future Palestinian Self Government.
Who were born on October 14?
- 1902Learco Guerra, Italian cyclist (d. 1963)
- 1906Hannah Arendt, German political theorist and writer (d. 1975)
- 1910John Wooden, American basketball player and coach (d. 2010)
- 1931Nikhil Banerjee, Indian classical musician (d. 1986)
- 1941Jerry Glanville, American football coach
- 1963Yim Jae-beom, South Korean singer
- 1967Jason Plato, English Racing driver
- 1967Pat Kelly, American baseball player
- 1969P. J. Brown, American basketball player
- 1981Boof Bonser, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.