October 15: Day of the Week
October 15, 2019 was the 288th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 77 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Josie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1582Pope Gregory XIII implements the Gregorian calendar. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain, October 4 of this year is followed directly by October 15.
- 1793Queen Marie-Antoinette of France is tried and convicted in a swift, pre-determined trial in the Palais de Justice, Paris, and condemned to death the following day.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Glasgow is fought, resulting in the surrender of Glasgow, Missouri, and its Union garrison, to the Confederacy.
- 1878The Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- 1880Mexican soldiers kill Victorio, one of the greatest Apache military strategists.
- 1932Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
- 1965Vietnam War: The Catholic Worker Movement stages an anti-war rally in Manhattan including a public burning of a draft card; the first such act to result in arrest under a new amendment to the Selective Service Act.
- 1969Vietnam War; The Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam is held in Washington DC and across the US. Over 2 million demonstrate nationally; about 250,000 in the nation’s capitol.
- 1971The start of the 2500-year celebration of Iran, celebrating the birth of Persia.
- 2003China launches Shenzhou 5, its first manned space mission.
Who were born on October 15?
- 1608Evangelista Torricelli, Italian physicist (d. 1647)
- 1858John L. Sullivan, American boxer (d. 1918)
- 1921Angelica Rozeanu, Romanian table-tennis player (d. 2006)
- 1924Warren Miller, American director
- 1926Michel Foucault, French philosopher (d. 1984)
- 1959Emeril Lagasse, American chef
- 1959Sarah, Duchess of York
- 1977Patricio Urrutia, Ecuadorian footballer
- 1983Bruno Senna, Brazilian racing driver
- 1984Johan Voskamp, Dutch footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.