October 16: Day of the Week
October 16, 2020 was the 290th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 76 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KUSOKUTEPXQAQ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters KUSOKUTEPXQAQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1384Jadwiga is crowned King of Poland, although she is a woman.
- 1781George Washington captures Yorktown, Virginia after the Siege of Yorktown.
- 1869Girton College, Cambridge is founded, becoming England’s first residential college for women.
- 1939World War II: First attack on British territory by the German Luftwaffe.
- 1940Holocaust: The Warsaw Ghetto is established.
- 1946Nuremberg Trials: Execution of the convicted Nazi leaders of the Main Trial.
- 1949Nikolaos Zachariadis, leader of the Communist Party of Greece, announces a “temporary cease-fire”, effectively ending the Greek Civil War.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis between the United States, and Cuba and the USSR, begins.
- 1968United States athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos are kicked off the US team for participating in the 1968 Olympics Black Power salute.
- 1978Pope John Paul II is elected after the October 1978 Papal conclave.
Who were born on October 16?
- 1754Morgan Lewis, Governor of New York (1804–07) (d. 1844)
- 1804Benjamin Russell, American artist (d. 1885)
- 1888Paul Popenoe, American activist (d. 1979)
- 1900Goose Goslin, American baseball player (d. 1971)
- 1934Peter Ashdown, British racing driver
- 1962Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Russian baritone
- 1972Kordell Stewart, American football player
- 1982Frédéric Michalak, French rugby player
- 1982Pippa Black, Australian actress
- 1982Prithviraj Sukumaran, Indian Film Actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.