October 17: Day of the Week
October 17, 2019 is the 290th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 75 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
October 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1091London Tornado of 1091: A tornado thought to be of strength T8/F4 strikes the heart of London.
- 1448Second Battle of Kosovo, where the mainly Hungarian army led by John Hunyadi is defeated by an Ottoman army led by Sultan Murad II.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British General John Burgoyne surrenders his army at Saratoga, New York.
- 1888Thomas Edison files a patent for the Optical Phonograph (the first movie).
- 1917First British bombing of Germany in World War I.
- 1933Albert Einstein flees Nazi Germany and moves to the United States.
- 1964Prime Minister of Australia Robert Menzies opens the artificial Lake Burley Griffin in the middle of the capital Canberra.
- 1970Montreal, Quebec: Quebec Vice-Premier and Minister of Labour Pierre Laporte murdered by members of the FLQ terrorist group.
- 1977German Autumn: Four days after it is hijacked, Lufthansa Flight 181 lands in Mogadishu, Somalia, where a team of German GSG 9 commandos later rescues all remaining hostages on board.
- 2000Train crash at Hatfield, north of London, leading to collapse of Railtrack.
Who were born on October 17?
- 1253Saint Ivo of Kermartin (d. 1303)
- 1817Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, Hindustani intellectual (d. 1898)
- 1948Robert Jordan, American novelist (d. 2007)
- 1950Philippe Barbarin, French cardinal
- 1951Annie Borckink, Dutch ice-skater
- 1959Richard Roeper, American film critic
- 1965Aravinda de Silva, Sri Lankan cricketer
- 1979Kostas Tsartsaris, Greek basketball player
- 1984Randall Munroe, American cartoonist
- 1990Paolo Campinoti, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.