October 17: Day of the Week
October 17, 2019 is the 290th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 75 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1091London Tornado of 1091: A tornado thought to be of strength T8/F4 strikes the heart of London.
- 1448Second Battle of Kosovo, where the mainly Hungarian army led by John Hunyadi is defeated by an Ottoman army led by Sultan Murad II.
- 1610French king Louis XIII is crowned in Rheims.
- 1771Premiere in Milan of the opera Ascanio in Alba, composed by Wolfgang Mozart, age 15.
- 1945A massive number of people, headed by CGT and Evita, gather in the Plaza de Mayo in Argentina to demand Juan Peron’s release. It calls “el día de la lealtad peronista” (peronista loyalty day)
- 1956The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- 1965The 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair closes after a two year run. More than 51 million people had attended the two-year event.
- 1977German Autumn: Four days after it is hijacked, Lufthansa Flight 181 lands in Mogadishu, Somalia, where a team of German GSG 9 commandos later rescues all remaining hostages on board.
- 19891989 Loma Prieta earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) hits the San Francisco Bay Area and causes 57 deaths directly (and 6 indirectly).
- 1994Russian journalist Dmitry Kholodov is assassinated while investigating corruption in the armed forces.
Who were born on October 17?
- 1864Elinor Glyn, British writer (d. 1943)
- 1886Spring Byington, American actress (d. 1971)
- 1898Shinichi Suzuki, Japanese violin teacher (d. 1998)
- 1925Harry Carpenter, English sports commentator (d. 2010)
- 1926Julie Adams, American film actress
- 1933Bill Anders, American astronaut
- 1951Shari Ulrich, Canadian musician-songwriter, member of Pied Pumkin and UHF
- 1963Norm Macdonald, Canadian comedian and actor
- 1969Wood Harris, American actor
- 1987Bea Alonzo, Filipina actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.