October 17: Day of the Week
October 17, 2022 is the 290th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 75 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YAYDLAAD? Check your answers here: Words with these letters YAYDLAAD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1346Battle of Neville’s Cross: King David II of Scotland is captured by Edward III of England near Durham, and imprisoned in the Tower of London for eleven years.
- 1448Second Battle of Kosovo, where the mainly Hungarian army led by John Hunyadi is defeated by an Ottoman army led by Sultan Murad II.
- 1771Premiere in Milan of the opera Ascanio in Alba, composed by Wolfgang Mozart, age 15.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British General John Burgoyne surrenders his army at Saratoga, New York.
- 1806Former leader of the Haitian Revolution, Emperor Jacques I of Haiti is assassinated after an oppressive rule.
- 1814London Beer Flood occurs in London, killing nine.
- 1860First The Open Championship (referred to in North America as the British Open).
- 1931Al Capone convicted of income tax evasion.
- 1941German troops execute the male population of the villages Kerdyllia in Serres, Greece.
- 1965The 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair closes after a two year run. More than 51 million people had attended the two-year event.
Who were born on October 17?
- 1253Saint Ivo of Kermartin (d. 1303)
- 1817Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, Hindustani intellectual (d. 1898)
- 1912Jack Owens, American singer/songwriter (d. 1982)
- 1918Rita Hayworth, American actress (d. 1987)
- 1921George Mackay Brown, Scottish Poet (d.1996)
- 1935Sydney Chapman, English politician and architect
- 1947Michael McKean, American actor
- 1951Roger Pontare, Swedish singer
- 1963Norm Macdonald, Canadian comedian and actor
- 1979Kostas Tsartsaris, Greek basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.