October 17: Day of the Week
October 17, 2020 was the 291st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 75 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ULREIWUYCG? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters ULREIWUYCG. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1346Battle of Neville’s Cross: King David II of Scotland is captured by Edward III of England near Durham, and imprisoned in the Tower of London for eleven years.
- 1456The University of Greifswald is established, making it the second oldest university in northern Europe (also for a period the oldest in Sweden, and Prussia)
- 1610French king Louis XIII is crowned in Rheims.
- 1771Premiere in Milan of the opera Ascanio in Alba, composed by Wolfgang Mozart, age 15.
- 1905The October Manifesto issued by Tsar Nicholas II of Russia
- 1917First British bombing of Germany in World War I.
- 1933Albert Einstein flees Nazi Germany and moves to the United States.
- 1966A fire at a building in New York, New York kills 12 firefighters, the New York City Fire Department’s deadliest day until the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- 2000Train crash at Hatfield, north of London, leading to collapse of Railtrack.
- 2001Israeli tourism minister Rehavam Ze'evi became the first Israeli minister to be assassinated in a terrorist attack.
Who were born on October 17?
- 1903Nathanael West, American writer (d. 1940)
- 1912Theodore Marier, KCSG, American composer, founder of the Boston Archdiocesan Choir School (d. 2001)
- 1948Margot Kidder, Canadian actress
- 1951Annie Borckink, Dutch ice-skater
- 1951Shari Ulrich, Canadian musician-songwriter, member of Pied Pumkin and UHF
- 1956Patrick McCrory, American politician
- 1963Sergio Goycochea, Argentine footballer
- 1972Sharon Leal, American actress
- 1979Alexandros Nikolaidis, Greek taekwondo athlete
- 1982Nick Riewoldt, Australian rules footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.