October 19: Day of the Week
October 19, 2023 was the 292nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 73 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QPIWIYKOA? Check your answers here: Words with these letters QPIWIYKOA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
October 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Austrian General Mack surrenders his army to the Grand Army of Napoleon at the Battle of Ulm. 30,000 prisoners are captured and 10,000 casualties inflicted on the losers.
- 1822In Parnaíba; Simplício Dias da Silva, João Cândido de Deus e Silva and Domingos Dias declare the independent state of Piauí.
- 1864St. Albans Raid – Confederate raiders launch an attack on Saint Albans, Vermont from Canada.
- 1914The First Battle of Ypres begins.
- 1935The League of Nations places economic sanctions on fascist Italy for its invasion of Ethiopia.
- 1954First ascent of Cho Oyu.
- 1956The Soviet Union and Japan sign a Joint Declaration, officially ending the state of war between the two countries that had existed since August 1945.
- 1987Black Monday - the Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 22%, 508 points.
- 2001SIEV-X, an Indonesian fishing boat en-route to Christmas Island, carrying over 400 asylum seekers, sinks in international waters with the loss of 353 people.
- 2005Saddam Hussein goes on trial in Baghdad for crimes against humanity.
Who were born on October 19?
- 1276Prince Hisaaki, Japanese shogun (d. 1328)
- 1680John Abernethy, Irish Protestant minister (d. 1740)
- 1899Miguel Ángel Asturias, Guatemalan writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1974)
- 1907Roger Wolfe Kahn, American bandleader (d. 1962)
- 1957Dorinda Clark-Cole, American gospel singer
- 1957Karl Wallinger, Welsh musician
- 1968Rodney Carrington, American actor and comedian
- 1969Trey Parker, American cartoonist and actor
- 1976Omar Gooding, American actor
- 1985Terry Etim, English mixed martial artist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.