October 19: Day of the Week
October 19, 2023 is the 292nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 73 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ETEACEVZMO? Check your answers here: Word search ETEACEVZMO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1812Napoleon I of France retreats from Moscow.
- 1864Battle of Cedar Creek – Union Army under Philip Sheridan destroys a Confederate Army under Jubal Early.
- 1912Italy takes possession of Tripoli, Libya from the Ottoman Empire.
- 1935The League of Nations places economic sanctions on fascist Italy for its invasion of Ethiopia.
- 1943Streptomycin, the first antibiotic remedy for tuberculosis, is isolated by researchers at Rutgers University.
- 1950The People’s Liberation Army takes control of the town of Qamdo; this is sometimes called the “Invasion of Tibet”.
- 1954First ascent of Cho Oyu.
- 1973President Richard Nixon rejects an Appeals Court decision that he turn over the Watergate tapes.
- 1974Niue becomes a self-governing colony of New Zealand.
- 2004Myanmar prime minister Khin Nyunt is ousted and placed under house arrest by the State Peace and Development Council on charges of corruption.
Who were born on October 19?
- 1810Cassius Clay, American abolitionist (d. 1903)
- 1876Mordecai Brown, American baseball player (d. 1945)
- 1896Bob O'Farrell, American baseball player (d. 1988)
- 1900Bill Ponsford, Australian cricketer (d. 1991)
- 1915Farid al-Atrash, Syrian composer, musician, and actor (d. 1974)
- 1940Michael Gambon, Irish-born British actor
- 1954Deborah Blum, American writer
- 1964Jorge Luis Gonzales, Cuban-born American boxer
- 1976Desmond Harrington, American actor
- 1976Joy Bryant, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.