October 20: Day of the Week
October 20, 2018 was the 293rd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 72 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Libra horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
October 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1827Battle of Navarino – a combined Turkish and Egyptian armada is defeated by British, French, and Russian naval force in the port of Navarino in Pylos, Greece.
- 1941World War II: Thousands of civilians in Kragujevac in German-occupied Serbia are killed in the Kragujevac massacre.
- 1943The cargo vessel Sinfra is attacked by Allied aircraft at Suda Bay, Crete, and sunk. 2,098 Italian prisoners of war drown with it.
- 1951The “Johnny Bright Incident” occurs in Stillwater, Oklahoma
- 1970Siad Barre declares Somalia a socialist state.
- 1973“Saturday Night Massacre”: President Richard Nixon fires U.S. Attorney General Elliot Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus after they refuse to fire Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox, who is finally fired by Robert Bork.
- 1973The Sydney Opera House opens.
- 1976The ferry George Prince‘’is struck by a ship while crossing the Mississippi River between Destrehan and Luling, Louisiana. Seventy-eight passengers and crew die and only 18 people aboard the ferry survive.
- 1981Two police officers and an armored car guard are killed during an armed robbery in Rockland County, NY, carried out by members of the Black Liberation Army and Weather Underground.
- 1991The Oakland Hills firestorm kills 25 and destroys 3,469 homes and apartments, causing more than $2 billion in damage.
Who were born on October 20?
- 1780Pauline Bonaparte, sister of Napoleon Bonaparte (d. 1825)
- 1858John Burns, English politician (d. 1943)
- 1927Gunturu Seshendra Sarma, Indian poet (d. 2007)
- 1955David Profumo, English novelist
- 1958Dave Finlay, Irish professional wrestler
- 1958Ivo Pogorelic, Croatian pianist
- 1959Mark Little, Australian actor and comedian
- 1960Konstantin Aseev, Russian chess player (d. 2004)
- 1965Mikhail Shtalenkov, Russian ice hockey player
- 1978Virender Sehwag, Indian cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.