October 20: Day of the Week
October 20, 2019 was the 293rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 72 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Josephine’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1781Patent of Toleration, providing limited freedom of worship, is approved in Habsburg Monarchy.
- 1873Yale, Princeton, Columbia, and Rutgers universities draft the first code of American football rules.
- 1883Peru and Chile sign the Treaty of Ancón, by which the Tarapacá province is ceded to the latter, bringing an end to Peru’s involvement in the War of the Pacific.
- 1904Chile and Bolivia sign the Treaty of Peace and Friendship, delimiting the border between the two countries.
- 1941World War II: Thousands of civilians in Kragujevac in German-occupied Serbia are killed in the Kragujevac massacre.
- 1943The cargo vessel Sinfra is attacked by Allied aircraft at Suda Bay, Crete, and sunk. 2,098 Italian prisoners of war drown with it.
- 1944Liquid natural gas leaks from storage tanks in Cleveland, then explodes; the explosion and resulting fire level 30 blocks and kill 130.
- 1944The Soviet Army and Yugoslav Partisans liberate Belgrade, the capital of Yugoslavia
- 1961The Soviet Union performs the first armed test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile, launching an R-13 from a Golf class submarine.
- 1968Former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy marries Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis.
Who were born on October 20?
- 1822Thomas Hughes, English novelist (d. 1896)
- 1864James F. Hinkle, American politician (d. 1951)
- 1925Art Buchwald, American humorist (d. 2007)
- 1946Lewis Grizzard, American writer and humorist (d. 1994)
- 1958Dave Krieg, American football player
- 1958Valerie Faris, American film director
- 1960Lepa Brena, Yugoslav singer
- 1961Michie Tomizawa, Japanese voice actress
- 1978Virender Sehwag, Indian cricketer
- 1979Paul Ifill, Barbadian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.