October 20: Day of the Week
October 20, 2019 is the 293rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 72 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Cecil’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1740Maria Theresa takes the throne of Austria. France, Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony refuse to honour the Pragmatic Sanction and the War of the Austrian Succession begins.
- 1917The Military Revolutionary Committee of the Petrograd Soviet, in charge of preparation and carrying out the Russian Revolution, holds its first meeting.
- 1941World War II: Thousands of civilians in Kragujevac in German-occupied Serbia are killed in the Kragujevac massacre.
- 1952Governor Evelyn Baring declares a state of emergency in Kenya and begins arresting hundreds of suspected leaders of the Mau Mau Uprising, including Jomo Kenyatta, the future first President of Kenya.
- 1962China launches simultaneous offensives in Ladakh and across the McMahon Line, beginning the Sino-Indian War.
- 1971The Nepal Stock Exchange collapses.
- 1973“Saturday Night Massacre”: President Richard Nixon fires U.S. Attorney General Elliot Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus after they refuse to fire Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox, who is finally fired by Robert Bork.
- 1973The Sydney Opera House opens.
- 1976The ferry George Prince‘’is struck by a ship while crossing the Mississippi River between Destrehan and Luling, Louisiana. Seventy-eight passengers and crew die and only 18 people aboard the ferry survive.
- 1977A plane carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd crashes in Mississippi, killing lead singer Ronnie Van Zant and guitarist Steve Gaines along with backup singer Cassie Gaines, the road manager, pilot, and co-pilot.
Who were born on October 20?
- 1660Robert Bertie, 1st Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven, English statesman (d. 1723)
- 1905Arnold Luhaäär, Estonian weightlifter (d. 1965)
- 1909Carla Laemmle, American actress
- 1925Art Buchwald, American humorist (d. 2007)
- 1946Lucien Van Impe, Belgian cyclist
- 1955Aaron Pryor, American boxer
- 1957Hilda Solis, American politician
- 1971Snoop Dogg, American rapper
- 1976Nicola Legrottaglie, Italian footballer
- 1988Candice Swanepoel, South African model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.