October 24: Day of the Week
October 24, 2020 is the 298th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 68 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Katrina’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1648The Peace of Westphalia is signed, marking the end of the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1812Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Maloyaroslavets takes place near Moscow.
- 1861The First Transcontinental Telegraph line across the United States is completed, spelling the end for the 18-month-old Pony Express.
- 1901Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
- 1930A bloodless coup d'état in Brazil ousts Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getúlio Dornelles Vargas is then installed as “provisional president.”
- 1949The cornerstone of the United Nations Headquarters is laid.
- 1977Veterans Day is observed on the fourth Monday in October for the seventh and last time. (The holiday is once again observed on November 11 beginning the following year.)
- 1998Launch of Deep Space 1 comet/asteroid mission
- 2003Concorde makes its last commercial flight.
- 2005Hurricane Wilma makes landfall in Florida resulting in 35 direct 26 indirect fatalities and causing $20.6B USD in damage.
Who were born on October 24?
- 51Titus Flavius Domitianus, Roman Emperor (d. 96)
- 1811Ferdinand Hiller, German composer (d. 1885)
- 1894Bibhutibhushan Mukhopadhyay, Bengali author (d. 1987)
- 1913Tito Gobbi, Italian baritone (d. 1984)
- 1916Anne Sharp, Scottish opera singer
- 1929Yordan Radichkov, Bulgarian writer (d. 2004)
- 1948Paul and Barry Ryan, British composer-singers
- 1955Katherine Knight, Australian murderess
- 1973Jeff Wilson, New Zealand rugby player and cricketer
- 1973Laura Veirs American singer-songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.