October 24: Day of the Week
October 24, 2019 is the 297th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 68 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Scorpio horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
October 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1147After a siege of 4 months crusader knights led by Afonso Henriques reconquered Lisbon.
- 1861The First Transcontinental Telegraph line across the United States is completed, spelling the end for the 18-month-old Pony Express.
- 1911Orville Wright remains in the air 9 minutes and 45 seconds in a Wright Glider at Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
- 1917Battle of Caporetto; Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat by the forces of Austria-Hungary and Germany on the Austro-Italian front of World War I (lasts until 19 November - also called Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo).
- 1929“Black Thursday” stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1945Founding of the United Nations
- 1946A camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket takes the first photograph of earth from outer space.
- 1947Walt Disney testifies before the House Un-American Activities Committee, naming Disney employees he believes to be communists.
- 1949The cornerstone of the United Nations Headquarters is laid.
- 2003Concorde makes its last commercial flight.
Who were born on October 24?
- 1378David Stewart, Duke of Rothesay, heir to the throne of Scotland (d. 1402)
- 1854Hendrik Willem Bakhuis Roozeboom, Dutch chemist (d. 1907)
- 1932Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, French physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2007)
- 1933Reginald “Reggie” Kray, British gangster and murderer (d. 2000)
- 1945Alan Titus, American baritone
- 1954Mike Rounds, American politician, current governor of South Dakota
- 1957John Kassir, American actor and comedian
- 1957Ron Gardenhire, German-born American baseball manager
- 1974Corey Dillon, American football player
- 1984Kaela Kimura, Japanese model and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.