October 24: Day of the Week
October 24, 2020 is the 298th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 68 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BEXMAO? Check your answers here: Word solver BEXMAO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 24 Historical Event(s)
- 69Second Battle of Bedriacum, forces under Antonius Primus, the commander of the Danube armies, loyal to Vespasian, defeat the forces of Emperor Vitellius.
- 1147After a siege of 4 months crusader knights led by Afonso Henriques reconquered Lisbon.
- 1260The spectacular Cathedral of Chartres is dedicated in the presence of King Louis IX of France; the cathedral is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 1648The Peace of Westphalia is signed, marking the end of the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1795Partitions of Poland: The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is completely divided among Austria, Prussia, and Russia
- 1851William Lassell discovers the moons Umbriel and Ariel (moon) orbiting Uranus.
- 1917Battle of Caporetto; Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat by the forces of Austria-Hungary and Germany on the Austro-Italian front of World War I (lasts until 19 November - also called Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo).
- 1929“Black Thursday” stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1930A bloodless coup d'état in Brazil ousts Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getúlio Dornelles Vargas is then installed as “provisional president.”
- 2008“Bloody Friday” saw many of the world’s stock exchanges experience the worst declines in their history, with drops of around 10% in most indices.
Who were born on October 24?
- 1675Richard Temple, 1st Viscount Cobham, English soldier and politician (d. 1749)
- 1872Peter O'Connor, Irish athlete (d. 1957)
- 1887Octave Lapize, French cyclist (d. 1917)
- 1906Alexander Gelfond, Russian mathematician (d. 1968)
- 1919Frank Piasecki, American aeronautical engineer (d. 2008)
- 1923Denise Levertov, English-born poet (d. 1997)
- 1943Corky Siegel, American musician, singer-songwriter, and composer
- 1950Steven Greenberg, American composer (Lipps Inc.)
- 1960Joachim “Jo” Winkelhock, German race car driver
- 1982Mohamed Fairuz Fauzy, Malaysian racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.