October 27: Day of the Week
October 27, 2019 is the 300th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 65 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jan’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 27 Historical Event(s)
- 312Constantine the Great is said to have received his famous Vision of the Cross.
- 710Saracen invasion of Sardinia.
- 939Edmund I succeeds Athelstan as King of England.
- 1870Marshal François Achille Bazaine surrenders to Prussian forces at Metz along with 140,000 French soldiers in one of the biggest French defeats of the Franco-Prussian War.
- 1916Battle of Segale: Negus Mikael, marching on the Ethiopian capital in support of his son Emperor Iyasus V, is defeated by Fitawrari abte Giyorgis, securing the throne for Empress Zauditu.
- 1948Léopold Sédar Senghor founds the Senegalese Democratic Bloc.
- 1962Major Rudolf Anderson of the United States Air Force becomes the only direct human casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis when his U-2 reconnaissance airplane is shot down in Cuba by a Soviet-supplied SA-2 Guideline surface-to-air missile.
- 1971The Democratic Republic of the Congo is renamed Zaire.
- 1992United States Navy radioman Allen R. Schindler, Jr. is brutally murdered by shipmate Terry M. Helvey for being gay, precipitating first military, then national, debate about gays in the military that resulted in the United States “Don't ask, don't tell” military policy.
- 1997October 27, 1997 mini-crash: Stock markets around the world crash because of fears of a global economic meltdown. The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummets 554.26 points to 7,161.15.
Who were born on October 27?
- 1811Stevens Thomson Mason, 1st Governor of Michigan (d. 1843)
- 1877George Thompson, English cricketer (d. 1943)
- 1894Oliver Leese, British general (d. 1978)
- 1906Kazuo Ohno, Japanese dancer (d. 2010)
- 1908Lee Krasner, American painter (d. 1984)
- 1914Dylan Thomas, Welsh poet (d. 1953)
- 1925Warren Christopher, American diplomat and 63rd United States Secretary of State (d. 2011)
- 1971Jorge Soto, Peruvian footballer
- 1972Maria de Lurdes Mutola, Mozambican athlete
- 1987Thelma Aoyama, Japanese singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.