October 27: Day of the Week
October 27, 2021 is the 300th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 65 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters NZTALIOIFT? Check your answers here: Unscramble words NZTALIOIFT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1553Condemned as a heretic, Michael Servetus is burned at the stake just outside Geneva.
- 1870Marshal François Achille Bazaine surrenders to Prussian forces at Metz along with 140,000 French soldiers in one of the biggest French defeats of the Franco-Prussian War.
- 1914World War I: The British super-dreadnought battleship HMS Audacious (23,400 tons), is sunk off Tory Island, north-west of Ireland, by a minefield laid by the armed German merchant-cruiser Berlin.
- 1924The Uzbek SSR is founded in the Soviet Union.
- 1962Major Rudolf Anderson of the United States Air Force becomes the only direct human casualty of the Cuban Missile Crisis when his U-2 reconnaissance airplane is shot down in Cuba by a Soviet-supplied SA-2 Guideline surface-to-air missile.
- 1964Ronald Reagan delivers a speech on behalf of Republican candidate for president, Barry Goldwater. The speech launched his political career and came to be known as “A Time for Choosing”.
- 1988Ronald Reagan decides to tear down the new U.S. Embassy in Moscow because of Soviet listening devices in the building structure.
- 1994The U.S. prison population tops 1 million for the first time in American history.
- 1997October 27, 1997 mini-crash: Stock markets around the world crash because of fears of a global economic meltdown. The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummets 554.26 points to 7,161.15.
- 2011The Royal Australian Navy announces that they discovered the wreck of a World War II submarine in Simpson Harbour, Papua New Guinea during Operation RENDER SAFE - it is likely to be Japanese.
Who were born on October 27?
- 1156Count Raymond VI of Toulouse (d. 1222)
- 1811Stevens Thomson Mason, 1st Governor of Michigan (d. 1843)
- 1904Erno Schwarz, Hungarian American soccer player (d. 1974)
- 1906Kazuo Ohno, Japanese dancer (d. 2010)
- 1933Floyd Cramer, American popular pianist (d. 1997)
- 1951Jayne Kennedy, American actress, model and sportscaster
- 1952Hameed Haroon, Pakistani publisher
- 1957Jeff East, American actor
- 1973Jason Johnson, American baseball pitcher
- 1990Dimitrios Gkourtsas, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.