October 28: Day of the Week
October 28, 2023 is the 301st day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OJAAYK? Check your answers here: Word finder OJAAYK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
October 28 Historical Event(s)
- 97Emperor Nerva is forced by the Praetorian Guard, to adopt general Marcus Ulpius Trajanus as his heir and successor.
- 1516Battle of Yaunis Khan: Turkish forces under the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha defeat the Mameluks near Gaza.
- 1707The 1707 Hōei earthquake causes more than 5,000 deaths in Honshu, Shikoku and Kyūshū, Japan
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of White Plains – British Army forces arrive at White Plains, attack and capture Chatterton Hill from the Americans.
- 1915Richard Strauss conducts the first performance of his tone poem Eine Alpensinfonie in Berlin.
- 1918World War I: Czechoslovakia is granted independence from Austria-Hungary marking the beginning of an independent Czechoslovak state, after 300 years.
- 1919The U.S. Congress passes the Volstead Act over President Woodrow Wilson’s veto, paving the way for Prohibition to begin the following January.
- 1928Declaration of the Youth Pledge in Indonesia, the first time Indonesia Raya, now the national anthem, was sung.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that he had ordered the removal of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.
- 1995289 people are killed and 265 injured in Baku Metro fire, the deadliest subway disaster.
Who were born on October 28?
- 1839Edward P. Allen, American politician (d. 1909)
- 1881Bruno Söderström, Swedish athlete (d. 1969)
- 1922Butch van Breda Kolff, American basketball coach (d. 2007)
- 1949Tracy Reed, American actress
- 1950Sihem Bensedrine, Tunisian human rights activist
- 1966Andy Richter, American comedian and actor
- 1969Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Puerto Rican screenwriter and producer
- 1974Dejan Stefanović, Serbian footballer
- 1980Alan Smith, English footballer
- 1984Bryn Evans, New Zealand rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.