October 28: Day of the Week
October 28, 2019 is the 301st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jason’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1516Battle of Yaunis Khan: Turkish forces under the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha defeat the Mameluks near Gaza.
- 1538The first university in the New World, the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of White Plains – British Army forces arrive at White Plains, attack and capture Chatterton Hill from the Americans.
- 1886In New York Harbor, President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty.
- 1918World War I: Czechoslovakia is granted independence from Austria-Hungary marking the beginning of an independent Czechoslovak state, after 300 years.
- 1929Black Monday, a day in the Wall Street Crash of 1929, which also saw major stock market upheaval.
- 1942The Alaska Highway (Alcan Highway) is completed through Canada to Fairbanks, Alaska.
- 1964Vietnam War: U.S. officials deny any involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1965Nostra Aetate, the “Declaration on the Relation of the Church with Non-Christian Religions” of the Second Vatican Council, is promulgated by Pope Paul VI; it absolves the Jews of responsibility for the death of Jesus, reversing Innocent III’s 760 year-old declaration.
- 1971Britain launches the satellite Prospero into low Earth orbit atop a Black Arrow carrier rocket, the only British satellite to date launched by a British rocket.
Who were born on October 28?
- 1691Peder Tordenskjold, Norwegian naval hero (d. 1720)
- 1793Eliphalet Remington, American firearms manufacturer (d. 1861)
- 1922Butch van Breda Kolff, American basketball coach (d. 2007)
- 1924Antonio Creus, Spanish racecar driver (d. 1996)
- 1936Carl Davis, American-born British conductor and composer
- 1949Bruce Jenner, American athlete
- 1953Pierre Boivin, Canadian businessman and hockey executive
- 1955Indra Nooyi, Indian born American Corporate Leader, PepsiCo CEO
- 1957Zach Wamp, American politician
- 1979Martin Škoula, Czech ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.