October 28: Day of the Week
October 28, 2021 is the 301st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UZIQIALIPJSK? Check your answers here: Word solver UZIQIALIPJSK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1531Battle of Amba Sel: Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrihim al-Ghazi again defeats the army of Lebna Dengel, Emperor of Ethiopia. The southern part of Ethiopia falls under Imam Ahmad’s control.
- 1664The Duke of York and Albany’s Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of White Plains – British Army forces arrive at White Plains, attack and capture Chatterton Hill from the Americans.
- 1848The first railroad in Spain – between Barcelona and Mataró – is opened.
- 1918World War I: Czechoslovakia is granted independence from Austria-Hungary marking the beginning of an independent Czechoslovak state, after 300 years.
- 1922March on Rome: Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that he had ordered the removal of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.
- 1964Vietnam War: U.S. officials deny any involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1982The Spanish Socialist Workers’ Party wins elections, leading to the first Socialist government in Spain after death of Franco. Felipe Gonzalez becomes Prime Minister-elect.
- 2006The funeral service takes place for those executed at Bykivnia forest, outside Kiev, Ukraine. 817 Ukrainian civilians (out of some 100,000) executed by Bolsheviks at Bykivnia in 1930s – early 1940s are reburied.
Who were born on October 28?
- 1818Ivan Turgenev, Russian writer (d. 1883)
- 1881Bruno Söderström, Swedish athlete (d. 1969)
- 1927Roza Makagonova, Russian actress (d. 1995)
- 1938Dave Budd, American basketball player
- 1957Zach Wamp, American politician
- 1967Kevin Macdonald, Scottish film director
- 1970Greg Eagles, American voice actor
- 1979Aki Hakala, Finnish musician
- 1981Nick Montgomery, English footballer
- 1982Jeremy Bonderman, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.