October 28: Day of the Week
October 28, 2020 is the 302nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hilda’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1628The Siege of La Rochelle, which had lasted for 14 months, ends with the surrender of the Huguenots.
- 1636A vote of the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony establishes the first college in what would become the United States, today known as Harvard University.
- 1664The Duke of York and Albany’s Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: A British proclamation forbids residents from leaving Boston.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Fair Oaks & Darbytown Road (also known as the Second Battle of Fair Oaks) ends – Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant withdraw from Fair Oaks, Virginia, after failing to breach the Confederate defenses around Richmond, Virginia.
- 1915Richard Strauss conducts the first performance of his tone poem Eine Alpensinfonie in Berlin.
- 1922March on Rome: Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government.
- 1929Black Monday, a day in the Wall Street Crash of 1929, which also saw major stock market upheaval.
- 1948Swiss chemist Paul Müller is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery of the insecticidal properties of DDT.
- 2005Plame affair: Lewis Libby, Vice-president Dick Cheney’s chief of staff, is indicted in the Valerie Plame case. Libby resigns later that day.
Who were born on October 28?
- 1667Maria Anna of Neuburg, second wife of Charles II of Spain (d. 1740)
- 1875Gilbert Hovey Grosvenor, American geographer and editor (d. 1966)
- 1929John Hollander, American poet
- 1942Kees Verkerk, Dutch speed skater
- 1956Dave Wyndorf, American singer (Monster Magnet)
- 1974Dejan Stefanović, Serbian footballer
- 1978Marta Etura, Spanish actress
- 1982Mai Kuraki, Japanese singer
- 1983Jarrett Jack, American basketball player
- 1985Troian Bellisario, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.