October 28: Day of the Week
October 28, 2020 is the 302nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GIASOX? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters GIASOX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1516Battle of Yaunis Khan: Turkish forces under the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha defeat the Mameluks near Gaza.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: A British proclamation forbids residents from leaving Boston.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of White Plains – British Army forces arrive at White Plains, attack and capture Chatterton Hill from the Americans.
- 1886In New York Harbor, President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty.
- 1893Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique, receives its première performance in St. Petersburg, only nine days before the composer’s death.
- 1915Richard Strauss conducts the first performance of his tone poem Eine Alpensinfonie in Berlin.
- 1919The U.S. Congress passes the Volstead Act over President Woodrow Wilson’s veto, paving the way for Prohibition to begin the following January.
- 1929Black Monday, a day in the Wall Street Crash of 1929, which also saw major stock market upheaval.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that he had ordered the removal of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.
- 1965Construction on the St. Louis Arch is completed.
Who were born on October 28?
- 1877Joe Adams, American baseball player (d. 1952)
- 1913Douglas Seale, English actor (d. 1999)
- 1929John Hollander, American poet
- 1930Bernie Ecclestone, English motorsports figure
- 1932Spyros Kyprianou, Cyprian politician (d. 2002)
- 1932Suzy Parker, American actress (d. 2003)
- 1949Tracy Reed, American actress
- 1979Martin Škoula, Czech ice hockey player
- 1980Christy Hemme, American professional wrestler
- 1986Anthony Griffith, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.