October 28: Day of the Week
October 28, 2019 is the 301st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 64 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 28 Historical Event(s)
- 97Emperor Nerva is forced by the Praetorian Guard, to adopt general Marcus Ulpius Trajanus as his heir and successor.
- 1636A vote of the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony establishes the first college in what would become the United States, today known as Harvard University.
- 1886In New York Harbor, President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty.
- 1891The Mino-Owari earthquake, the largest inland earthquake in Japan’s history, strikes Gifu Prefecture.
- 1893Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique, receives its première performance in St. Petersburg, only nine days before the composer’s death.
- 1918A new Polish government in Western Galicia is established.
- 1918World War I: Czechoslovakia is granted independence from Austria-Hungary marking the beginning of an independent Czechoslovak state, after 300 years.
- 1922March on Rome: Italian fascists led by Benito Mussolini march on Rome and take over the Italian government.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Union leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that he had ordered the removal of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.
- 2005Plame affair: Lewis Libby, Vice-president Dick Cheney’s chief of staff, is indicted in the Valerie Plame case. Libby resigns later that day.
Who were born on October 28?
- 1891Ormer Locklear, American movie stunt pilot (d. 1920)
- 1897Edith Head, American costume designer (d. 1981)
- 1901Eileen Shanahan, Irish poet (d. 1979)
- 1921Azumafuji Kin'ichi, Japanese sumo wrestler (the 40th Yokozuna) (d. 1973)
- 1922Gershon Kingsley, German composer
- 1941John Hallam, Irish actor (d. 2006)
- 1945Elton Dean, English musician (Soft Machine) (d. 2006)
- 1960Mark Derwin, American actor
- 1962Erik Thorstvedt, Norwegian footballer
- 1974Joaquin Phoenix, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.