October 31: Day of the Week
October 31, 2023 was the 304th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 61 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PNAFOOYUTMXRI? Check your answers here: Word scramble PNAFOOYUTMXRI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
October 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1517Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther posts his 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg.
- 1863The Maori Wars resumes as British forces in New Zealand led by General Duncan Cameron begin their Invasion of the Waikato.
- 1876A monster cyclone ravages India, resulting in over 200,000 deaths.
- 1913The Indianapolis Street Car Strike and subsequent riot begins.
- 1918Banat Republic is founded
- 1924World Savings Day is announced in Milan, Italy by the Members of the Association at the 1st International Savings Bank Congress (World Society of Savings Banks).
- 1941World War II: The destroyer USS Reuben James is torpedoed by a German U-boat near Iceland, killing more than 100 United States Navy sailors. It is the first U.S. Navy vessel sunk by enemy action in WWII.
- 1961In the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin’s body is removed from Lenin’s Tomb.
- 1998Iraq disarmament crisis begins: Iraq announces it would no longer cooperate with United Nations weapons inspectors.
- 1999Yachtsman Jesse Martin returns to Melbourne after 11 months of circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop and unassisted.
Who were born on October 31?
- 1622Pierre Paul Puget, French artist (d. 1694)
- 1892Alexander Alekhine, Russian chess player (d. 1946)
- 1943Aristotelis Pavlidis, Greek politician
- 1955Michalis Chrysohoidis, Greek politician
- 1958Jeannie Longo, French cyclist
- 1961Larry Mullen, Irish drummer (U2)
- 1972Matt Dawson, English rugby union footballer
- 1976Piper Perabo, American actress
- 1981Lollie Alexi Devereaux, French actress & writer
- 1992Vanessa Marano, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.