October 31: Day of the Week
October 31, 2021 is the 304th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 61 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LHIMOVYARD? Check your answers here: Word scramble LHIMOVYARD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1517Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther posts his 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg.
- 1941World War II: The destroyer USS Reuben James is torpedoed by a German U-boat near Iceland, killing more than 100 United States Navy sailors. It is the first U.S. Navy vessel sunk by enemy action in WWII.
- 1961In the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin’s body is removed from Lenin’s Tomb.
- 1963An explosion at the Indiana State Fair Coliseum (now Pepsi Coliseum) in Indianapolis kills 74 people during an ice skating show. The explosion also injures 400. A faulty propane tank connection in a concession stand is blamed.
- 1968Vietnam War October surprise: Citing progress with the Paris peace talks, US President Lyndon B. Johnson announces to the nation that he has ordered a complete cessation of “all air, naval, and artillery bombardment of North Vietnam” effective November 1.
- 1984Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by two security guards. Riots break out in New Delhi and nearly 10,000 Sikhs are killed.
- 1998Iraq disarmament crisis begins: Iraq announces it would no longer cooperate with United Nations weapons inspectors.
- 1999EgyptAir Flight 990 traveling from New York City to Cairo crashes off the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts, killing all 217 on-board.
- 2002A federal grand jury in Houston, Texas indicts former Enron Corp. chief financial officer Andrew Fastow on 78 counts of wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice related to the collapse of his ex-employer.
- 2003Mahathir bin Mohamad resigns as Prime Minister of Malaysia and is replaced by Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, marking an end to Mahathir’s 22 years in power.
Who were born on October 31?
- 1883Marie Laurencin, French painter (d. 1956)
- 1912Ollie Johnston, American animator (d. 2008)
- 1915Jane Jarvis, American jazz pianist (d. 2010)
- 1916Carl Johan Bernadotte, former Prince of Sweden
- 1934Fillie Lyckow, Swedish actress
- 1963Dermot Mulroney, American actor
- 1964Marco van Basten, Dutch footballer and manager
- 1969David Coburn, American actor/voice actor
- 1974Roger Manganelli, Brazilian musician (Less Than Jake)
- 1976Guti, Spanish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.