October 4: Day of the Week
October 4, 2020 is the 278th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 88 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kathleen’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1693Battle of Marsaglia: Piedmontese troops are defeated by the French.
- 1883First meeting of the Boys’ Brigade in Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1918An explosion kills more than 100 and destroys the T.A. Gillespie Company Shell Loading Plant in Sayreville, New Jersey. Fires and explosions continue for three days forcing massive evacuations and spreading ordnance over a wide area, pieces of which were still being found as of 2007.
- 1957Space Race: Launch of Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.
- 1957Sputnik 1 is launched by the Soviet Union.
- 1966Basutoland becomes independent from the United Kingdom and is renamed Lesotho.
- 1983Richard Noble sets a new land speed record of 633.468 mph (1,019 km/h), driving Thrust 2 at the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.
- 1997The second largest cash robbery in U.S. history occurs at the Charlotte, North Carolina office of Loomis, Fargo and Company. An FBI investigation eventually results in 24 convictions and the recovery of approximately 95% of the $17.3 million in cash which had been taken.
- 2001NATO confirms invocation of Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty.
- 2010The Ajka plant accident in western Hungary releases about a million cubic metres (35 million cubic feet) of liquid alumina sludge. Nine people are killed and 122 injured, and the Marcal and Danube rivers are severly contaminated.
Who were born on October 4?
- 1861Frederic Remington, American painter (d. 1909)
- 1861Walter Rauschenbusch, Christian Theologian and Baptist Minister (d. 1918)
- 1903John Vincent Atanasoff, American computer pioneer (d. 1995)
- 1916Vitaly Ginzburg, Russian physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 2009)
- 1917Violeta Parra, Chilean folklorist and visual artist (d. 1967)
- 1929Scotty Beckett, American child actor (d. 1968)
- 1936Charlie Hurley, Irish footballer
- 1942Johanna Sigurdardottir, Prime Minister of Iceland
- 1943Margaret Pemberton, English writer
- 1979Rachael Leigh Cook, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.