October 4: Day of the Week
October 4, 2020 was the 278th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 88 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UOWTBEIQJQFU? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UOWTBEIQJQFU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1363End of the Battle of Lake Poyang; the Chinese rebel forces of Zhu Yuanzhang defeat that of his rival, Chen Youliang, in one of the largest naval battles in history.
- 1795Napoleon Bonaparte first rises to national prominence with a “Whiff of Grapeshot”, using cannon to suppress armed counter-revolutionary rioters threatening the French Legislature (National Convention).
- 1830Creation of the state of Belgium after separation from The Netherlands.
- 1895The first U.S. Open Men’s Golf Championship administered by the United States Golf Association is played at the Newport Country Club in Newport, Rhode Island.
- 1941Norman Rockwell’s Willie Gillis character debuts on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post.
- 1957Space Race: Launch of Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.
- 1958Fifth Republic of France is established.
- 1983Richard Noble sets a new land speed record of 633.468 mph (1,019 km/h), driving Thrust 2 at the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.
- 1991The Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty is opened for signature.
- 2010The Ajka plant accident in western Hungary releases about a million cubic metres (35 million cubic feet) of liquid alumina sludge. Nine people are killed and 122 injured, and the Marcal and Danube rivers are severly contaminated.
Who were born on October 4?
- 1276Margaret of Brabant, Queen of Germany (d. 1311)
- 1626Richard Cromwell, Lord Protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland (d. 1712)
- 1861Frederic Remington, American painter (d. 1909)
- 1868Marcelo T. de Alvear, Argentine politician (d. 1942)
- 1917Violeta Parra, Chilean folklorist and visual artist (d. 1967)
- 1960Joe Boever, American baseball player
- 1963A. C. Green, American basketball player
- 1965Olaf Backasch, German footballer
- 1975Cristiano Lucarelli, Italian football player
- 1978Phillip Glasser, American actor and producer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.