October 5: Day of the Week
October 5, 2020 was the 279th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 87 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters NUCPCYIIIIN? Check your answers here: Word solver NUCPCYIIIIN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 5 Historical Event(s)
- 869The Fourth Council of Constantinople is convened to decide about what to do about Patriarch Photius of Constantinople.
- 1450Jews are expelled from Lower Bavaria by order of Louis IX, Duke of Bavaria.
- 1550Foundation of Concepción, city in Chile.
- 1857The City of Anaheim is founded.
- 1903Sir Samuel Griffith is appointed the first Chief Justice of Australia and Sir Edmund Barton and Richard O'Connor are appointed as foundation justices.
- 1914World War I: first aerial combat resulting in an intentional fatality.
- 1962Dr. No, the first in the James Bond film series, is released.
- 1970The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is founded.
- 1990After one hundred and fifty years The Herald broadsheet newspaper in Melbourne, Australia, is published for the last time as a separate newspaper.
- 1991The first official version of the Linux kernel, version 0.02, is released.
Who were born on October 5?
- 1848Guido von List, German writer (d. 1919)
- 1879Francis Peyton Rous, American pathologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1970)
- 1909Tony Malinosky, American baseball player (d. 2011)
- 1929Richard F. Gordon, Jr., American astronaut
- 1939Consuelo Ynares-Santiago, Filipino Supreme Court jurist
- 1940Thom Christopher, American actor
- 1958Neil DeGrasse Tyson, American Astrophysicist
- 1962Michael Andretti, American race car driver
- 1978Morgan Webb, Canadian-born television presenter
- 1980James Toseland, British motorcycle racer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.