October 5: Day of the Week
October 5, 2017 was the 278th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 87 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Libra horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
October 5 Historical Event(s)
- 610Coronation of Byzantine Emperor Heraclius
- 1143King Alfonso VII of León recognises Portugal as a Kingdom.
- 1903Sir Samuel Griffith is appointed the first Chief Justice of Australia and Sir Edmund Barton and Richard O'Connor are appointed as foundation justices.
- 1905Wilbur Wright pilots Wright Flyer III in a flight of 24 miles in 39 minutes, a world record that stood until 1908.
- 1930British Airship R101 crashes in France en-route to India on its maiden voyage.
- 1955Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California.
- 1968Police baton civil rights demonstrators in Derry, Northern Ireland – considered to mark the beginning of The Troubles.
- 1982Chicago Tylenol murders: Johnson & Johnson initiates a nationwide product recall in the United States for all products in its Tylenol brand after several bottles in Chicago are found to have been laced with cyanide, resulting in seven deaths.
- 1984Marc Garneau becomes the first Canadian in space, aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger.
- 1991An Indonesian military transport crashes after takeoff from Jakarta killing 137.
Who were born on October 5?
- 1712Francesco Guardi, Italian painter (d. 1793)
- 1878Louise Dresser, American actress (d. 1965)
- 1912Fritz Fischer, Nazi war criminal (d. 2003)
- 1922José Froilán González, Argentine race car driver
- 1923Stig Dagerman, Swedish writer (d. 1954)
- 1966Sean M. Carroll, American cosmologist
- 1971Samuel Vincent, Canadian voice actor
- 1975Kate Winslet, English actress
- 1979Joe Lipari, American writer, comedian & filmmaker
- 1987Park So Yeon, South Korean Singer (T-ara)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.