September 1: Day of the Week
September 1, 2023 was the 244th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 121 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MCUIYA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters MCUIYA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
September 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1836Narcissa Whitman, one of the first English-speaking white women to settle west of the Rocky Mountains, arrives at Walla Walla, Washington.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Chantilly – Confederate forces attack retreating Union troops in Chantilly, Virginia.
- 1864American Civil War: Confederate General John Bell Hood evacuates Atlanta, Georgia after a four-month siege by General Sherman.
- 1894More than 400 people die in the Great Hinckley Fire, a forest fire in Hinckley, Minnesota.
- 1910Sport Club Corinthians Paulista is created in São Paulo.
- 1939Switzerland mobilizes its forces and the Swiss Parliament elects Henri Guisan to head the Swiss Army (an event that can happen only during war or mobilization).
- 1951The United States, Australia and New Zealand sign a mutual defense pact, called the ANZUS Treaty.
- 1958Iceland expands its fishing zone, putting it into conflict with the United Kingdom, beginning the Cod Wars.
- 1970Attempted assassination of King Hussein of Jordan by Palestinian guerrillas, who attacked his motorcade.
- 1980Major General Chun Doo-hwan becomes president of South Korea, following the resignation of Choi Kyu-hah.
Who were born on September 1?
- 1876Harriet Shaw Weaver, English political activist (d. 1961)
- 1899Richard Arlen, American actor (d. 1976)
- 1926Abdur Rahman Biswas, President of Bangladesh
- 1929Anne Ramsey, American actress (d. 1988)
- 1946Barry Gibb, English singer (Bee Gees)
- 1946Roh Moo-hyun, President of South Korea (d. 2009)
- 1973Ram Kapoor, Indian actor
- 1976Polly Shannon, Canadian actress
- 1980Sammy Adjei, Ghanaian footballer
- 1985Camile Velasco, Filipino-American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.