September 10: Day of the Week
September 10, 2019 was the 253rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 112 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alberta’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
September 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1509An earthquake known as “The Lesser Judgment Day” hits Istanbul.
- 1547The Battle of Pinkie Cleugh, the last full scale military confrontation between England and Scotland, resulting in a decisive victory for the forces of Edward VI.
- 1608John Smith is elected council president of Jamestown, Virginia.
- 1813The United States defeats the British Fleet at the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.
- 1823Simón Bolívar is named President of Peru.
- 1946While riding a train to Darjeeling, Sister Teresa Bojaxhiu of the Loreto Sisters’ Convent claimed to have heard the call of God, directing her “to leave the convent and help the poor while living among them”. She would become known as Mother Teresa.
- 1967The people of Gibraltar vote to remain a British dependency rather than becoming part of Spain.
- 1972The United States suffers its first loss of an international basketball game in a disputed match against the Soviet Union at Munich, Germany.
- 2002Switzerland, traditionally a neutral country, joins the United Nations.
- 2008The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, described as the biggest scientific experiment in history is powered up in Geneva, Switzerland.
Who were born on September 10?
- 1624Thomas Sydenham, English physician (d. 1689)
- 1871Charles Collett, British mechanical engineer (d. 1952)
- 1894Alexander Dovzhenko, Soviet film director (d. 1956)
- 1907Alva R. Fitch, American army officer (d. 1989)
- 1913Lincoln Gordon, American diplomat (d. 2009)
- 1934Charles Kuralt, American journalist (d. 1997)
- 1941Stephen Jay Gould, American paleontologist (d. 2002)
- 1946Michèle Alliot-Marie, French politician
- 1963Bill Stevenson, American music producer and musician
- 1968Andreas Herzog, Austrian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.