September 15: Day of the Week
September 15, 2019 is the 258th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 107 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
September 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1789The United States Department of State is established (formerly known as the “Department of Foreign Affairs”).
- 1820Constitutionalist revolution in Lisbon, Portugal.
- 1916World War I: Tanks are used for the first time in battle, at the Battle of the Somme.
- 1944Battle of Peleliu begins as the United States Marine Corps’ 1st Marine Division and the United States Army’s 81st Infantry Division hit White and Orange beaches under heavy fire from Japanese infantry and artillery.
- 1947Typhoon Kathleen hit the Kanto Region in Japan killing 1,077.
- 1948The F-86 Sabre sets the world aircraft speed record at 671 mph.
- 1963The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing: Four children killed at an African-American church in Birmingham, Alabama, United States
- 1966U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson, responding to a sniper attack at the University of Texas at Austin, writes a letter to Congress urging the enactment of gun control legislation.
- 1981The John Bull becomes the oldest operable steam locomotive in the world when the Smithsonian Institution operates it under its own power outside Washington, D.C.
- 1998With the landmark merger of WorldCom and MCI Communications completed the day prior, the new MCI WorldCom opens its doors for business.
Who were born on September 15?
- 1913Henry Brant, Canadian-born American composer (d. 2008)
- 1914Adolfo Bioy Casares, Argentine writer (d. 1999)
- 1914Creighton Abrams, American Army general (d. 1974)
- 1914Orhan Kemal, Turkish writer (d. 1970)
- 1925Stanley Chapman, British architect, designer, translator and writer (d. 2009)
- 1941Flórián Albert, Hungarian footballer (d. 2011)
- 1942Lee Dorman, American Bassist
- 1967Sari Kaasinen, Finnish singer
- 1971Ben Wallers, English musician and songwriter (Country Teasers)
- 1975Tom Dolan, American swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.