September 16: Day of the Week
September 16, 2019 was the 259th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 106 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Cesar’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
September 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1701James Francis Edward Stuart, sometimes called the “Old Pretender”, becomes the Jacobite claimant to the thrones of England and Scotland.
- 1795The first occupation by United Kingdom of Cape Colony, South Africa with the Battle of Hout Bay, after successive victories at the Battle of Muizenberg and Wynberg, after William V requested protection against revolutionary France’s occupation of the Netherlands.
- 1810With the Grito de Dolores, Father Miguel Hidalgo begins Mexico’s fight for independence from Spain.
- 1920The Wall Street bombing: a bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J. P. Morgan building in New York City – 38 are killed and 400 injured.
- 1941World War II: Concerned that Reza Pahlavi the Shah of Persia is about to ally his petroleum-rich empire with Nazi Germany, the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union invade Iran in late August and force the Shah to abdicate in favor of his son, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- 1959The first successful photocopier, the Xerox 914, is introduced in a demonstration on live television from New York City.
- 1970King Hussein of Jordan declares military rule following the hijacking of four civilian airliners by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). This results in the formation of the Black September Palestinian paramilitary unit.
- 1975Papua New Guinea gains its independence from Australia.
- 1991The trial of the deposed Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega begins in the United States.
- 2007One-Two-GO Airlines Flight 269 carrying 128 crew and passengers crashes in Thailand killing 89 people.
Who were born on September 16?
- 1716Angelo Maria Amorevoli, a leading Italian tenor in Baroque opera (d. 1798)
- 1858Andrew Bonar Law, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1923)
- 1881Clive Bell, English art critic (d. 1964)
- 1911Paul Henning, American producer and writer (d. 2005)
- 1935Bob Kiley, American public transit specialist
- 1939Breyten Breytenbach, South African writer and painter
- 1948Ron Blair, American bassist
- 1950David Bellamy, American guitarist and singer
- 1959Peter Keleghan, Canadian actor
- 1971Amy Poehler, American comedian (Saturday Night Live)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.