September 23: Day of the Week
September 23, 2019 is the 266th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 99 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
September 23: This Day in History
It is frequently the day of the Autumnal Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere and the day of the Vernal Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere.
September 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1122Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V agree to the Concordat of Worms to put an end to the Investiture Controversy.
- 1642First commencement exercises occur at Harvard College.
- 1780American Revolution: British Major John André is arrested as a spy by American soldiers exposing Benedict Arnold’s change of sides.
- 1846Neptune is discovered by French astronomer Urbain Jean Joseph Le Verrier and British astronomer John Couch Adams; the discovery is verified by German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle.
- 1936First ascent of Siniolchu by a German team.
- 1941World War II: The first gas chamber experiments are conducted at Auschwitz.
- 1943World War II: The Nazi puppet state the Italian Social Republic is founded.
- 1983Gulf Air Flight 771 is bombed, killing all 117 people on board.
- 1986Jim Deshaies of the Houston Astros sets the major-league record by striking out the first eight batters of the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- 1988José Canseco of the Oakland Athletics becomes the first member of the 40-40 club.
Who were born on September 23?
- 1740Empress Go-Sakuramachi of Japan (d. 1813)
- 1880John Boyd Orr, Scottish physician, Nobel Laureate (d. 1971)
- 1911Frank Moss, United States Senator from Utah (d. 2003)
- 1926Jimmy Woode, jazz bassist (d. 2005)
- 1931Gerald Stairs Merrithew, Canadian educator (d. 2004)
- 1934Ahmad Shah Khan, Crown Prince of Afghanistan
- 1935Prem Chopra, Indian actor
- 1941Simon Nolet, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1943Marty Schottenheimer, American football coach
- 1973Vangelis Krios, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.