September 23: Day of the Week
September 23, 2019 was the 266th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 99 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jacqueline’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
September 23: This Day in History
It is frequently the day of the Autumnal Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere and the day of the Vernal Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere.
September 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1641The Merchant Royal, carrying a treasure worth over a billion US dollars, is lost at sea off Land’s End.
- 1779American Revolution: a squadron commanded by John Paul Jones on board the USS Bonhomme Richard wins the Battle of Flamborough Head, off the coast of England, against two British warships.
- 1806Lewis and Clark return to St. Louis after exploring the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
- 1846Neptune is discovered by French astronomer Urbain Jean Joseph Le Verrier and British astronomer John Couch Adams; the discovery is verified by German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle.
- 1868Grito de Lares (“Lares Revolt”) occurs in Puerto Rico against Spanish rule.
- 1952Richard Nixon makes his “Checkers speech”.
- 1962The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City opens with the completion of the first building, the Philharmonic Hall (now Avery Fisher Hall) home of the New York Philharmonic.
- 1983Saint Kitts and Nevis joins the United Nations.
- 1999Celebrate Bisexuality Day was first observed in the United States.
- 1999Qantas Flight 1 overruns the runway in Bangkok during a storm. Although some passengers only receive minor injuries, it is still the worst crash in Qantas’s history since 1960.
Who were born on September 23?
- 1869Mary Mallon, also known as Typhoid Mary, first carrier of typhoid (d. 1938)
- 1895Miron Merzhanov, Soviet architect (d. 1975)
- 1912Ghulam Mustafa Khan, Pakistani researcher, critic and linguist (d. 2005)
- 1926Jimmy Woode, jazz bassist (d. 2005)
- 1936Sylvain Saudan, Swiss extreme skier
- 1961Willie McCool, American astronaut (d. 2003)
- 1964Clayton Blackmore, Welsh footballer
- 1972Karl Pilkington, British radio personality
- 1977Suzanne Tamim, Lebanese singer and actress (d. 2008)
- 1985Lukáš Kašpar, Czech ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.