September 23: Day of the Week
September 23, 2019 is the 266th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 99 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
September 23: This Day in History
It is frequently the day of the Autumnal Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere and the day of the Vernal Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere.
September 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1779American Revolution: a squadron commanded by John Paul Jones on board the USS Bonhomme Richard wins the Battle of Flamborough Head, off the coast of England, against two British warships.
- 1868Grito de Lares (“Lares Revolt”) occurs in Puerto Rico against Spanish rule.
- 1905Norway and Sweden sign the “Karlstad treaty”, peacefully dissolving the Union between the two countries.
- 1909The Phantom of the Opera (original title: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra), a novel by French writer Gaston Leroux, is first published as a serialization in Le Gaulois.
- 1962The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City opens with the completion of the first building, the Philharmonic Hall (now Avery Fisher Hall) home of the New York Philharmonic.
- 1969The Chicago Eight trial opens in Chicago.
- 1972Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos announces over television and radio the implementation of martial law.
- 1983Gerrie Coetzee of South Africa becomes the first African boxing world heavyweight champion.
- 1986Jim Deshaies of the Houston Astros sets the major-league record by striking out the first eight batters of the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- 2002The first public version of the web browser Mozilla Firefox (“Phoenix 0.1”) is released.
Who were born on September 23?
- 1926John Coltrane, American saxophonist (d. 1967)
- 1939Janusz Gajos, Polish actor
- 1940Mohammad-Reza Shajarian, Iranian traditional-music singer, songwriter, multi-instument player
- 1944Eric Bogle, British/Australian singer and songwriter
- 1958Danielle Dax, British musician
- 1968Yvette Fielding, English television presenter
- 1974Matt Hardy, American professional wrestler
- 1976Rob James-Collier, British actor and model
- 1977Suzanne Tamim, Lebanese singer and actress (d. 2008)
- 1985Joba Chamberlain, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.