September 23: Day of the Week
September 23, 2021 is the 266th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 99 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KWVUHODKE? Check your answers here: Word solver KWVUHODKE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
September 23: This Day in History
It is frequently the day of the Autumnal Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere and the day of the Vernal Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere.
September 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1641The Merchant Royal, carrying a treasure worth over a billion US dollars, is lost at sea off Land’s End.
- 1806Lewis and Clark return to St. Louis after exploring the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
- 1821Tripolitsa, Greece, falls and 30,000 Turks are massacred during the Greek War of Independence.
- 1857The Russian warship Lefort capsizes and sinks during a storm in the Gulf of Finland, killing all 826 aboard.
- 1909The Phantom of the Opera (original title: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra), a novel by French writer Gaston Leroux, is first published as a serialization in Le Gaulois.
- 1942World War II: First day of the September Matanikau action on Guadalcanal as United States Marine Corps forces attack Imperial Japanese Army units along the Matanikau River.
- 1992A large Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb destroys forensic laboratories in Belfast.
- 1999Celebrate Bisexuality Day was first observed in the United States.
- 1999NASA announces that it has lost contact with the Mars Climate Orbiter.
- 2008Kauhajoki school shooting: Matti Saari kills 10 people before committing suicide.
Who were born on September 23?
- 1215Kublai Khan of the Mongol Empire (d. 1294)
- 1800William Holmes McGuffey, American educator and textbook author (d. 1873)
- 1916Aldo Moro, Italian politician (d. 1978)
- 1956Peter David, American writer
- 1972Jermaine Dupri, American music producer and rapper
- 1975Chris Hawkins, British radio personality
- 1975Eric Miller, Irish rugby player
- 1980Cameron Litvack, American television producer
- 1981Robert Doornbos, Dutch racing driver
- 1985Brian Brohm, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.